• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccines & Neutering Advice Needed

Sligeach

Young Bun
Hi there

I put a post up before asking about neutering which was very helpful. I have booked my bunny Henrik in to have him neutered next month but then decided to ring around various vets just to see what conflicting information I would get. My bunny is almost 5 months old, he is a house bunny and single (does not share his space with another bunny), he is not showing any signs of behavioural problems but with your advice I am going ahead to get him done for his health and future behaviour that might arise. My problem is first I did not know about vaccines and have not had any for him yet, should these be done before he is neutered? And secondly the last vet I called told me he can't be neutered until he is 6 months old whereas the place I booked him in with said he is fine to go in now?

Can someone help as I know you guys are experienced with bunnies and know what is actually the truth and right thing to do when it comes to what is best for him.

Confused Bunny Lover :(

boys can be done as young as 12 weeks provideing his plumbs are through, alot of vets prefere to go more on weight and like to do them a little older, so you will find some vets will vary

you can take a nose at your bun and see if he has 2 small bean things showing, may take another pair of hands to help see, if hehas plumb deffinatly keep him away from other buns for 6 to 8 weeks after neuter

im not sure exactly on the jabs, I know buns should not be vax while poorly, or until recovered from any operations,

and myxi is twice a year where as vhd is once a year, they should not be given at the same time you need two week gap at least between the jabs ( if you get that :? )

Back