• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can they stay in the run at night?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
My dad is always going on about how the rabbits prefer being in the run at night yet we normally shut them in the shed. Would it be safe to leave the door to the shed and hutch (in the run) open at night to allow them to pivck where they want to sit?

I had always assumed they were better locked up in case there was rats about.:?

:wave: i leave mine open all the time,im under the impression if the shed/run is safe throught the day then its safe at night.my lot love being out at night and they have the shed to go in if they want to.

I do as they have a very secure run and they can come and go to their house. They are most active during sun up and down and it would be a shame for them not to binky when they like.

Our pair have 24hour access to their run - we made sure it was super-secure though first.

We're both at work during the day so allowing them access during the night is really no more risky than when we're both out at work.

I think it depends what your run is like. Would it be possible for them to dig out/something to dig in? Has it got a lid/roof? Can it be securely locked?

It's an aviary on concrete so its unlikely they could dig out but the mesh on it might be big enough for rats to get in if there were any around.

rabbit_run002-1.jpg

This is an old photo and there's now a door in the shed for them to get into.

Personally, I think that's fine. The only thing that would concern me is how they'd react if foxes/cats came sniffing around? I expect it'd be fine though, so long as they're able to hop in and out of the shed whenever they like. :)

I think the style of the run is fine, it looks secure so yeh i would say thats okay.

the concern i do have however is the mesh. Its so easily chewed by bunnies and they could easily nibble through that and get out if they wanted to. Not nessacerily at night of course, but whenever they got bored and decided to go for a nibble!

but the run itself is lovely!

Personally, I think that's fine. The only thing that would concern me is how they'd react if foxes/cats came sniffing around? I expect it'd be fine though, so long as they're able to hop in and out of the shed whenever they like. :)

Aye they can get into the shed etc if they want to. I've heard them both thumping during the night before so I assume that was because a cat or something spooked them.

The garden is very difficult for foxes and cats to access with a huge wall on one side, mesh gate on the other, the close has a 6' gate with a mesh about 4' from the bottom. The last side has a 5' wall with climbing plants and roses growing all over the top of it. Foxes and cats can still get in if they really wanted but it seems a bit effort when we live just off a messy main street with numerous take aways.:lol:

the concern i do have however is the mesh. Its so easily chewed by bunnies and they could easily nibble through that and get out if they wanted to.

really? I have seen them trying to chew it and they've not managed to get out after being in there for nearly two years.

Yeah, i mean every bunny is different, but my uncle build a chicken coop and my auntie put the bunnies in it to "try it out" as they hadnt got the chickens yet, the bunnies loved it, it was huge.

she popped out to the shops, when she came back Blue was in the garden!

if they havent chewed it to the extent they escaped in that length of time i would think there probably not going to - or they would have by now. But generally it isnt the most secure wire.

Nice set up. I agree with the others on the mesh though. Wilkinsons have some cage mesh at the moment which is reasonable, you could put that on too as a precaution as the holes are a lot smaller and the wire is thicker than chicken wire.

I've posted pictures of the run on here loads of times and this is the first time anyone's said anything about the mesh not being appropriate.:? Certainly won't be able to do anything about it until the summer at least so guess I'll just have to hope it does until then.

My two are in a hutch over run and have access to both all the time. They tend to spend their days in the hutch asleep and the night in their run. If it's safe in the day it should be safe at night, don't worry :) If you are concerned the mesh is a bit large and 'could' be chewed into, just staple a smaller mesh on the outside but I think it looks ok

I've posted pictures of the run on here loads of times and this is the first time anyone's said anything about the mesh not being appropriate.:? Certainly won't be able to do anything about it until the summer at least so guess I'll just have to hope it does until then.

in all honesty if they dont chew it its not an issue, i would just get some squared mesh and put it along the bottom on the outside to be safe, i wouldnt take off the entire mesh if they had been fine all this time.

Buts its only my opinion, its not a rule or anythign obviously! xxxx

I have this mesh on my runs also and have had one for 5 years and none of the rabbits I have had through here have chewed it :shock:

Back