• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Insurance

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Hi all

Any ideas about bunny insurance? I'm bunny-sitting at the moment but just in case it becomes a permanent thing, I'd like to check out prices and cover etc.

So, do you have any recommendations??

Thanks

Jo (& Mitzy)

It's usually around £9 per month for each bun with PetPlan. They are who I use as I think their coverage is better than the others. The other one I know about are Exotics Direct.

I will be honest with you I didn't believe in pet insurance 3yrs ago up till now, I have 4 bunnys and in these last few years I have spent around 3 £1000 in vet bills.
I am taking out petplan insurance this week but I don't know how the insurance works I think you have to pay the vet bill then claim it back I am not sure.

I have 4 rabbits and I have insurance with petplan. It cost me just over £40 a month which i think is very good as they cover everything. I havent had to use them yet and im hoping that i dont need to but it is always there just incase.

Petplan offer 'Lifecover' which is a must, this means that if your bun develops something like a skin problem for example, they will fork out for the cost of treatment for life.

You can pay the vet and receive a cheque back in a week or you can get Petplan to pay the vet. All you have to do is fill in part of the form and your vet will do the rest.

Your vet may well have some leaflets offering four weeks free cover:)

Petplan cover my 6 rabbits (one of them is too old) for £50 a month with this i get upto £2000 medical cover for each rabbit each year of their life (excludes any medical problems they already have tho), £750 for alternative therapys and £250 if they get lost and thats every year for life. All rabbits must be vaccinated tho to validate cover.

:wave: Hi, my two are covered with PetPlan as they have been really good with my dog and horse in the past - sadly both are passed on now due to old age. If you have more than one bunny PetPlan do a 'multi' policy that saves you money :D

I would recommend Petplan, except they don't cover dentals anymore. If you possibly can I'd find one which does, as dentals can be expensive (£120 a month for my 2!).

I can definitely recommend Petplan, I only took it out in December (something kept niggling in my head that i really ought to get it, i'd always thought it wasn't really necessary as he was a housebun but the vet had said i really should) and exactly one month later Joe ran up bills of about £1700!!! All of which were paid out with no fuss using the claim direct facility so all i had to pay upfront was the £55 excess.

I don't think all vets do claim direct but i would urge anyone to get their buns insured, i could never in a million years have afforded that bill so i don't even want to think what would have happened otherwise, and not having to worry about money at what was a very stressful and upsetting time was a big relief.

:wave: I'm in the same boat, not sure whether to take out insurance or not... best to have a look through the terms and conditions on their website.

I had a good look and doesn't look like they cover vaccinations, flea control, anything caused by pregnancy or birth, spaying, trimming, burring or rasping rabbits teeth, rabbits being PTS, any dental treatment unless you have paid for a dental exam in last 12months, any preventative treatments, any vet practices which charge fees they think are higher than normal, and importantly,

"Any loss as a result of an act of force or violence for
political, religious or ideological reasons, war, riot,
revolution or any similar event, including any chemical or
biological terrorism" :shock:

Theres also an excess on each unrelated treatment.

But people seem to think its worked out worthwhile for them... hmmm its a tough one to weigh up!

Back