• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Shivering urgent help please

Carolinemm

Warren Scout
Hello I was wondering if someone had any advice. Given that the vets isnt open until 9 and it will stress him out when I take him, I was wondering, has anyone ever had a shivering rabbit before? Twitch has been unwell since last night (he was absolutely fine yesterday morning), he didnt come up from his run for veggies and more concerning did not come up and leap in his bowl for his pellets this morning. In fact he doesnt look like hes moved much at all. I took him out this morning and have given him a check over, he had some gooey poos stuck to his fur underneath, which is pretty unusual for my rabbits, I get worried when I see them and put them on just hay for a week. Anyway, he was shivering slightly and as I said is very subdued although still feels strong when I hold him, he doesnt like been handled really, (but is usually very friendly).
I just dont know if to rush him to the vets, I have read about a number of rabbit health problems but not come across this before, or just wait and see how he is a little later.
Another bit of info, I had to recently move, and the only place to put the hutch/run was on gravel. So I have it piled up with hay obviously to protect their feet but there is a very small possibility hes dug up his hay, as they do, and found some form of plant growing through the gravel? If it was a plant that rabbits should not eat, could this be the cause? Although part of me thinks rabbits must have some sort of instinct about good and bad plants?..

Thank very much. Im working at home today so can keep an eye on him all day and check any responses. Although I will book a vets appointment anyway I would love any advice asap!

my immediate reaction would be get him to a vet immediately.

it won't cost you any extra money because it is usual working hours, but i think he needs to go now.

If he has eaten a toxic plant there are things vets can do to counteract the reaction to the plant.

please take this bun to the vet now!

Have just been out again - he is bad going now :0( Im so worried. Thanks for replying - money would not have been an issue if he was bad. He is going donwhill quickly thanks

If you let them know at the vets how urgent it is (in my view this is very urgent) they shoul dbe able to fit you in earlier.
Hope you manage to get him there and sorted.

so sorry to hear this get him to a vets immeditaly it could be a poison or it could be something else make sure you see a rabbit savvyvet and asap.x

Rabbits may shiver when in pain. Poorly rabbits will also struggle to maintain their body temperature and hypothermia can set in quickly, even when the ambient temperature is not that cold. This can be fatal in a matter of hours.

PLease get your rabbit to a vet before it's too late xx

Poor bun. Please let us know how he is when you get back from the vet.

Keeping everything crossed for you.

xxxx

We're back, the good news is she cant really see much wrong with him, he is still shivering though. His temperature was fine. I say good not great as he is still shivering?.. She did spend ages checking him thoroughly which is great.
The only thing is he has some hardness in his stomach/underneath somewhere, so she has given him liquid parafin to see if its a little blockage. I will also give him more later, then we're back tomorrow for another check first thing. If his belly is still hard she will xray him. Thankfully he really is still fairly bright when I go to get him out, just not entirely himself. She sort of ruled out the plant thing, it is fairly unlikely anyway but the thought crossed my mind. She did mention tumor but then its not been a slow deterioration or anything - so I cant imagine it could be that....fingers crossed it is just a blockage although I cant imagine why he would have one all of a sudden?..
Thank you so much for all your lovely messages and advice - I will keep you posted, and if he gets any worse obviously Ill take him straight back or call a vet out. Poor sausage - I just want him to be cheeky again! :(

Sorry to hear your bun is poorly. Glad to hear you were able to get him seen by the vet.

Did the vet advise you to keep him warm, make sure he is drinking (rabbits deydrate quickly) eating and pooing? To be honest if he hasn't been eating or drinking I am surprised the vet didn't give him fluids and/or keep him in for observation. Some painrelief would have been nice too.

Hiya, well he is an outside rabbit and is choosing to sit in his run rather than his bed part of his hutch, although the hutch and run have clear plastic covers so I have put them all down so no wind is getting in. He really seemed ok at the vets apart from his little shiver and was eating and drinking up to yesterday lunchtime completely normally so she said she wouldnt give him anything else at the moment. All good points though...the dehydration thing is a worry isnt it but she seemed to be happy with how is was for now.
The liquid parafin is meant to almost give him the runs so I think that covers checking if he is pooing ok?..The dehydration thing worries me but he isnt weak or anything at all just bit subdued. I will try and see if he will drink something by putting the bottle right by him but as I said he can move around he is just not choosing too - I really hope hes not in any pain. He didnt seem to flinch at all when the vet was examining him so I really hope not.
Also I dont want to bring him in as they seem to get really hot even just in the car when I take them to the vets or anything, so reluctant to do that and more stressful for him - he's happy in his run, has lots of soft hay and no wind/rain can get in, but Ill be checking him all day.
Thank you for your advice....its really hard to know what to do for the best.

OK.

I would offer a bowl of water too as that is easier to drink from if they are poorly.

Do please check him regualarly and get him back to the vet if he doesn't eat, drink and poo soon.

As rabbits are prey animals they hide their pain in order not to show a weakness to their preditors this is why they appear to go downhill so fast, there are few warning signs they are ill - if he is shivering and has some kind of blockage I think he would be in some degree of pain and this prevents them from eating and drinking.

Is your Rabbit eating and passing faeces ?

Did the Vet not administer any pain relief ?

What about offering diagnostics re the 'mass'.

TBH the consult seems a bit odd to me :?

Did he have gut sounds when the vet checked him??

If he's not eaten anything since yesterday lunchtime I'd be very worried personally ,rabbits go downhill so fast .

Has he eaten or had anything to drink yet? Leaving him outside, you won't be able to monitor if and when he eats. Its important that you do this. Rabbits can go down hill very rapidly if they stop eating. Did the vet talk to you about syringe feeding some critical care? If he is in pain, he will mask it, and it may stop him eating.

Did the vet tell you to bring him back today, if he does not start to eat, and if there is no poo. What did the vet say?

Hi,
Thanks for all the comments. He might be outside but I am monitoring him constantly. He is in his hutch/run with his companion and I just know bringing them in will stress them both very much. Also the stress may not allow him to exhibit his normal behaviour Im thinking so would probably put him off eating etc anyway so I want to leave him in his environment he's used to so I can monitor him. Star his companion is snuggling him and he keeps moving around sitting up and lying down. I do find that lunchtime is when they are at rest anyway so hard to tell just now, but I shall try a bowl of water although I honestly think if he wanted to drink he would go to his bottle - I understand the prey animal instinct (I have a degree in animal behaviour :0)..not in rabbit health though!) so thats a good point but I do know him, he is alert, just disinterested in his food today, and if he seemed any more uncomfortable I would most certainly take him back. He is not shivering so much now. I also understand that a vet cannot diagnose a 'hardness' on the spot, so we are trying the liquid paraffin today given his general alertness etc. I need to syringe more of this into his mouth later today. I hope that will work...thank you though.

Thanks so much saying about the bowl of water - I just didnt think! He is drinking from it, thank goodness. He is still really shivering - you are all right Im taking him back :0( pain relief should have been given im sure.
Thank you loads

If you add a dash of boiling water to make the water tepid he may also drink more too. It is very important to keep him hydrated.

Thank you again. Well, he is now at the vets so he is under constant observation. I took Star too so they wouldnt be without each other (also read somewhere they can forget each other if its too long?), anyway, hopefully he is in the best place and he will be given pain relief as requested and they will get to the bottom of what is wrong. I am so pleased he was drinking though, that is something at least.
They will call me later for an update, keeping everything crossed, feel very helpless and not at all relieved unfortunately:(

Hi,
It must be a really stressful time for you :( I'm glad he's at the vets now and they're keeping a close eye on him and hopefully have given him pain relief. Let us know what the vet says when she calls. Good luck
xxx

Back