• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

buying seeds... so many choices! does it matter which??

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
does it matter what variety a certain veg or herb is?? :? like if rabbits can eat basil... does that mean any variety of basil can be grown for them??

i am wanting to order seeds to grow some more veg and herbs but there are too many varieties!! i didn't know there would be! :oops:

I depends on the veg. With some veg though you get different types that grow different sizes or need/can cope with different conditions. That's more about how and where you plant them though. Obviously they can have different tastes too but a bunny is probably going to eat any flavour.

I can't think of any veg where one variety is poisonous and another isn't though. I've a feeling there is one mint variety (flavour) that's less good but stick to a bog standard one and you'll be fine.

I get a lot of mine free on magazines. I use any variety of herb seed. There are all different types of basil I usually use the sweet basil variety. Dill, coriander, parsley are relatively easy to grow. I would generally buy thyme, lemon balm and I have pineapple mint and chocolate mint which they like.

Veggies which are easy to grow are chard, pak choy, carrots and rocket. The good thing about growing from seed is there are a lot of veggies which you can't get in the shops like chard which they can then have.

I get a lot of mine free on magazines. I use any variety of herb seed. There are all different types of basil I usually use the sweet basil variety. Dill, coriander, parsley are relatively easy to grow. I would generally buy thyme, lemon balm and I have pineapple mint and chocolate mint which they like.

Veggies which are easy to grow are chard, pak choy, carrots and rocket. The good thing about growing from seed is there are a lot of veggies which you can't get in the shops like chard which they can then have.

i can't wait to grow more things!!

my coriander and basil are doing really well, and the orchard grass and plantain has been really fast growing aswell.

and... today, my parsley has started to grow!

sooooooooo excited!!! :oops::lol:

i can't wait to grow more things!!

my coriander and basil are doing really well, and the orchard grass and plantain has been really fast growing aswell.

and... today, my parsley has started to grow!

sooooooooo excited!!! :oops::lol:

Oooh where did you get the orchard grass and plantain seeds from?

Oooh where did you get the orchard grass and plantain seeds from?

i got them from planet guinea. i got the compost from there aswell because it is free from animal by-products! it is really good. they have lots of other grass type seeds aswell. :wave:

i got them from planet guinea. i got the compost from there aswell because it is free from animal by-products! it is really good. they have lots of other grass type seeds aswell. :wave:

Cool thanks I will make a note and have a go I think, mine love the dried plantain so the fresh will deffo be a hit I think :D

Back