• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a really bad sign :( *bad fight*!!

kaths101

Warren Veteran
I have just let Sooty and oreo out for their free range time - I think they caught a whiff of mittens as I left some of her things on the landing and they had a full on scrap!! :cry::cry::cry:

I seperated them for a few minutes and they are now back in their cage munching pellets :?

Doesnt hold out much hope for the group does it??? - I think I will stick with 2pairs - this has surely got to be a bad sign that my already bonded pair are scrapping at the sight and smell of the other buns! :cry::cry:

It was a horrible fight - i will give them a a few minutes then check them over for injuries (lots and lots of fur)- why is this soooooo complicated!! :cry::cry::cry:

Hi Kath,

Sorry I am no bonding expert, but I did try (and failed) with Starbuck and Fay...and so appreciate how stressful it is.

Hope you are ok hun. And hope Sooty and Oreo have not hurt each other.

Helen

My pairs can be like that if they smell other buns....Jasmine and Deisel were chasing a lot outside today when Nutkin was out in a run .

Bonding should be done on neutral territory ( as I'm sure you know ) and your two will have reacted because they could smell a new bunny on their patch I expect.

Hi Kath,

Sorry I am no bonding expert, but I did try (and failed) with Starbuck and Fay...and so appreciate how stressful it is.

Hope you are ok hun. And hope Sooty and Oreo have not hurt each other.

Helen

yes thanks ive calmed down a bit now - I thought I was going to have a heart attack my heart is still racing!!
The thing is I wasnt even bonding - they just had a sniff of something and off they went!! :cry:

My pairs can be like that if they smell other buns....Jasmine and Deisel were chasing a lot outside today when Nutkin was out in a run .

Bonding should be done on neutral territory ( as I'm sure you know ) and your two will have reacted because they could smell a new bunny on their patch I expect.

Yes im just dubious because this is the 3rd time Oreo has reacted this way with any hint of another bunny - its not just chasing it is a full on fight - he turns on poor Sooty (one time was totally neutral) - now they are all loved up again :roll:

Im almost certain now im just going to stick with pairs im too much of a wimp! :?

it could be because the smell is so new so they reacted defensivley towards each other. in my experience buns will get familiar with smells on your person, if you pet your pair while you smell of mittens they may think its your new smell then learn to accept it. give them time to get used to the new smell gradually with no bad associations. i am only going from past experience with my own buns thinking from their point of view it must be a shock to smell a new bun in their home.
ps. mittens is like no other bun i have seen before she is gorgeous

Awww :( Everytime i've attempted 2 pairs or trios, the original pairs have fought each other.

Glad neither got hurt.

Awww :( Everytime i've attempted 2 pairs or trios, the original pairs have fought each other.

Glad neither got hurt.

Thankyou - I think they are ok - just eyeing each other suspiciously :? I really hopew these 2 dont fall out :cry::cry::cry::cry:
Has it never worked out with yours? or was it just initally the original pair fought and then they bonded??

Thankyou - I think they are ok - just eyeing each other suspiciously :? I really hopew these 2 dont fall out :cry::cry::cry::cry:
Has it never worked out with yours? or was it just initally the original pair fought and then they bonded??

Haven't managed to bond them yet :? They have remained in pairs but i'm going to try again.

Glad neither got hurt.

Ahh no this is whats happening here :( Scary isnt it?

Im sorry about your bunnies Kath, ive just replied to your post on my thread, i thought you meant your new bun and Charlie, didnt realise it was Oreo and Sooty :( :(

Hopefully they'll settle down soon for you. Its scary seeing them fight :( xXx

Yes im just dubious because this is the 3rd time Oreo has reacted this way with any hint of another bunny - its not just chasing it is a full on fight - he turns on poor Sooty (one time was totally neutral) - now they are all loved up again :roll:

Im almost certain now im just going to stick with pairs im too much of a wimp! :?

Billy and Bonnie are one of my indoor pairs....Bonnie is definitely the boss and she used to react by fighting with Billy if I had another bun indoors(after an op or something) ....there would be fur everywhere and poor Billy was so bewildered ....Bonnie is far more accepting these days because I have more bunnies indoors and theres always different smells about.

I wouldn't give up hope completely ,neutral territory usually makes a difference in my experience anyway.

Sounds like what you have is referred aggression, all it means is that one is jelous about the other being about and has caused a fight. It does not mean that in neutral territory that they will not pair up as a foursome.

Ahh no this is whats happening here :( Scary isnt it?

Im sorry about your bunnies Kath, ive just replied to your post on my thread, i thought you meant your new bun and Charlie, didnt realise it was Oreo and Sooty :( :(

Hopefully they'll settle down soon for you. Its scary seeing them fight :( xXx

yes and i havent even attempted any bonding yet!!! :roll: this always happens to me - I get brave and then something like this happens!! Sooty and oreo are very flinchy still, i guess i just have to keep an eye on them - i really hope indi and phoenix get back together ok - How can they be bonded all this time and then fall out like this with just a whiff of another bun!! :evil:
You are so brave Becky - I dont know how you do it!! you must have nerves of steel xx

Thankyou Janice - I havent got 2 pairs at the mo, mittens is in a totally different room- its just they all use the same free-range space - which i wont from now on! Charlie is in the same room and has used the same space without any trouble as long as they cant see him!
thanks for your advice

Back