• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

aarrrhrhrhrhrhrhrhhaaahhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrh *EXPLODES WITH RAGE*

georgie_f

Mama Doe
O.M.F.G

Somebody please calm me down!

So, most of you know about Jovie - The cashy lop I rescued from a breeder who had left him to fight and get matted to buggery... His 'owner' has been breeding recklessly for the last 17 years and is still advertising baby bunnies on the local classifieds.

A while ago, I set up a new account on the classifieds purely to post an 'anti free-ads ad' (basically, a quick advert detailing the effort involved in keeping buns). This :censored: woman put an advert up the other day as follows...

BABY EASTER BUNNY RABBITS READY GOOD FRIDAY, 2ND APRIL, DWARF LOP CROSS MINI REX, HAVE NOT CHECKED IF BOYS OR GIRLS YET, BUT CAN BE VIEWED AND RESEVED,WITH SMALL DEPOSIT BEFORE HAND PHOTOS TAKEN ON MARCH 14TH

I messaged her 'www.makeminechocolate.co.uk'. That was all. And I got not one but two replies, both of which p***ed me off equally...

Message One -
have checked website out, and completely agree, i am a private pet rescue centre, all unwanted rabbits and guineapigs are dropped off here to be rehomed, or kept, was given 3 female neutered rabbits in the new year, they where moving abroad, and didn't think it was fair to take them, let them settle in for a week, and checked them over, as i am a nearly qualified vet, but fell pregnant so couldn't take the last 6 months and exam, any how these have not been done, 1 boy, 2 girls, hence litter, due to space, i cant have anymore rabbits and guinea pigs, got 12 rabbits, 5 guineapigs, hence i give them a happy life running around, all my rabbits leave here neutered or spaded, many thanks

Message Two -
i emailed you a while ago, please feel free to come round here, in the middle of making some more rabbit hutches, all my rabbits live in a 4 foot hutch, every day they go in the run, or run round garden, or in the duck enclosure, also i rescue unwanted ducks, have 2 of my own leslie and treacle, but 4 months ago, was given a tiny duck with broken beak, and my jack russell dog was left on my step, very nervous, but now fat and happy, it is on a diet now, but we had to make happy first, you are welcome to come round anytime, as this is my life, gave up work for this, hence i sell plants,for there keep, and was given last year a free plot of land, to grow veg for the pets, and someone gave me loads of seeds free, i love pets

....................................................................................

Must.... resist..... urge.......... to KILL!

I know! They make no sense and it's all a load of utter :censored: because I have been to her house to collect Jovie (she doesn't know it's me) and she told me then that she was breeding bunnies. She had told me she'd hoped to breed Jovie but he'd fought her does. She sent the first email, which I didn't reply to as I didn't check them and then the second one came through three days later.

She's blatently making up a load of balls to try and get me off her case.

She is not a rescue. She can't call herself a rescue just because she has a duck with a duff beak and a few unwanted guineas. Rescues wouldn't breed for money and they definately wouldn't advertise easter bunnies.

As for saying all her rabbits leave neutered or spayed - Jovie certainly didn't. The two buns my work friends bought from her didn't. And she seriously expects me to assume the 8 week old babies she's selling leave neutered?!

4 foot hutches for breeding rabbits.... I just have no words for how I feel about that.

They run around in the garden every day?! When I picked Jovie up, she didn't appear to have a garden, the house behind was so close. And she must let all 12 out at once?!

I saw her jack russell - it was the fattest dog I have ever seen. It was just lying on it's side shut in the kitchen looking dead. :shock:

Basically, she's lying to me through her teeth. I'm really fighting the urge to send back a load of swear words right now! :roll::lol:

I may be completely wrong here, but vets are amongst the most highly selected university students. I find it unlikely that a vet student (past or present) would write in what could charitably be called 'pidgin'.

Chill Georgie! :wave:

Report her to the RSPCA.....they may go and have a look and with any luck find something to take action on :)

I may be completely wrong here, but vets are amongst the most highly selected university students. I find it unlikely that a vet student (past or present) would write in what could charitably be called 'pidgin'.

I was just thinking that! She sounds like she'd have struggled with a GCSE let alone get accepted to university to do veterinary science! Why do people have to lie? She obviously knows that she's doing wrong else she wouldn't feel the need to lie about it!

I agree with gem, as they come unanounced it could be worth it even if you have to exagerate a little bit.I can understand your frustration and you have done well to hold the insults back. I couldn't of done that.:D

Oh, I just know she's lying through her teeth to me. :evil:

I've read and re-read the two messages and I think the first one is trying to 'explain' where these baby buns have come from. I think, in a round-about way, she is saying she took in three neutered females which she left for a week before thinking to check and it turned out they were all un-neutered, two females and a male. Took me ages to decifer that! Although I think it's a load of rubbish and blatently an attempt to justify breeding 'easter rabbits'.

I messaged her back in the end -

Hello Val, thankyou for your replies.

I don't begrudge you having pets at all - and I'm sure you love them deeply - but please do not insult my intelligence.

I know you are a breeder, I have seen countless adverts for bunnies posted by you on Wightbay. Rescues would not breed and they certainly wouldn't advertise 'Easter Bunnies' irresponsibly.

I do not believe that all the buns you rehome are neutered as I know of people that have bought rabbits from you and also it is impossible to neuter ten week old babies. I'm sure, as someone who has vet training, you are aware of that. I'm also sure you're aware that female bunnies have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer by the age of 4 if unneutered. It's a sad fate that most breeding does will suffer after being bred unscrupulously throughout their short lives.

The Rabbit Welfare Association state a 6X2 foot hutch with an attached 6X4 foot run as a minimum for a pair of neutered rabbits. The RSPCA use these guidelines and will not rehome to anyone failing to meet them. Anything smaller is believed to restrict the rabbits natural movements and causes depression and health problems.

There are over 33,000 rabbits in rescues across the UK. That figure is probably going to rise to a rediculous level after Easter - as it does every year. Breeding bunnies reduces the chances of rescue bunnies finding forever homes and increases overall numbers of unwanted and neglected pets. I do not agree with random breeding at all, although I do realise it happens accidentally occasionally and I feel differently about breeding rare breeds etc.

Advertising rabbits as Easter pets is on the same level as advertising puppies for Christmas - and that's been seen as unacceptable for years. Rabbits cost an awful lot to keep correctly. If not done correctly, your baby bunnies are almost certainly destined to live in a tiny little hutch, alone, down the bottom of someone's garden never recieving any vetinary care. Possibly for up to 12 long years. I know I would be terrified of that happening to any of my much loved pets.

I am not trying to make out that you do not care about your pets - I'm sure you do. It's just there are so many bunny owners out there that seem to be unaware of proper rabbit care needs. I'm hoping I will be able to change a few attitudes here and there as rabbits are my passion. I appologise if I am coming across as rude or arogant, it's not my intention and I'm happy to offer advice or information if you would like it.

I have several rabbits myself - all in bonded neutered pairs/groups living in large double tier hutches with runs and I also have a 10X10 shed which is home to a very lucky pair of bunnies. I started keeping them when I was 10 and I made the same mistakes as so many other rabbit owners when I first started out with them. It's only been in the last few years that I've realised what I've been doing wrong.

If you have no space for anymore pets, please consider getting all of your rabbits neutered. Breeding is only ever going to create more space issues. Neutered buns can also be kept together so they can have more space as a group. You will also effectively be saving your does lives as the 80% chance of cancer will be removed. I think any pet lover faced with those odds would realise it's the best thing to be done.

If you're not willing to do that and want to continue breeding then please, please, please do it responsibly and stop advertising bunnies as a perfect Easter gift. They are living creatures and deserve a good, happy life with owners that will care for them properly.

Thankyou.

I can't work out if I worded it well or not. Probably not but so long as it gets my point across I don't care if I sound like a doughnut! :roll: Still think every other word should have been a rude one though.

:evil::evil::evil: I would just reply - Where was the garden? or yes I saw your fat dog = she wouldnt know who it was because she no doubt has had several people through her door but would get her thinking - and also make her wary of lieing in future - stupid woman...

'spaded' ??

Forgot to add, I reported her to the RSPCA when she put Jovie up on the website. They did nothing. Just like they've done nothing all the other times I've contacted them :( I will try again though. :wave:

:evil::evil::evil: I would just reply - Where was the garden? or yes I saw your fat dog = she wouldnt know who it was because she no doubt has had several people through her door but would get her thinking - and also make her wary of lieing in future - stupid woman...

'spaded' ??

'Spaded' made me laugh for a good ten minutes! I shouldn't mock her spelling, it just sounded really funny in my head when I read it!

If she replies and tries to lie to me again I will tell her exactly who I am and where Jovie now is thanks to her uncaring and frankly baffling pet care skills.

'Spaded' made me laugh for a good ten minutes! I shouldn't mock her spelling, it just sounded really funny in my head when I read it!

If she replies and tries to lie to me again I will tell her exactly who I am and where Jovie now is thanks to her uncaring and frankly baffling pet care skills.

I thought she was a 'nearly qualified vet'? :? Surely if she's nearly qualified she'd be in Bristol, Edinburgh, Glasgow or London doing her training? :roll:

I wonder if she spaded her buns herself :roll:

Where does she live? I'll go visit her when I'm over in August with my er, spade :D

georgie that was a very polite and to the point letter and it sounded fine.Spelling was good too:lol:. I hope she takes everything on board.

I'm glad you lot don't believe her either... I was kind of thinking I might have been a bit mean.... :oops:

Meh, what goes around, comes around. I might drag out the messaging for a bit and see what other fancifull things and brilliant new words she comes out with! :roll:

:wave:One of the websites related to vet degrees states the following (my emphasis).

Entrance requirements are very high and differ at each university. Usually three 'A' levels are expected in subjects such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths - the grades expected are very high - A's and B's. A broad range of GCSE's will also be expected, with particular attention paid to Science, Maths and English. All of the universities require applicants to have work experience before their application, e.g. in a Veterinary Practice, or on a farm handling livestock.

On the basis of her correspondence, perhaps the English qualification might be questioned. So useful for all the essays that are undoubtedly required.:?

The 'A' Level in Biology might need some further revision. Not knowing how to spell "spayed" and then geting pregnant within 6 months of the end of the degree course does not illustrate the highest level of understanding of the basics.:roll:

I compliment your restraint by not giving a full vocabulary lesson. Always tempting but rarely effective. I am surprised that some of them can even spell Easter (with a capital) or "bunnies" (with the correct plural ending). The incorrect "bunnys" would not be unexpected.

She's not topped it off by advertising BRC membership has she?:evil:

Good luck with all of this.

Last edited:
Your reply sounds really good, very polite whilst firmly getting your point across, you've said nothing for her to get angry about :)

I also laughed when I read the bit about her being a nearly qualified vet :shock:

:lol: or say spaded instead of spay. sounds like this person :censored:

Georgie I think your reply is great - really fair and educational. Hopefully, some of the information you have given may just filter through. I think she is more likely to respond to an approach like that than one which makes her feel defensive.

As she has said you can visit maybe she genuinely believes she is caring for her animals properly and with some support and additional knowledge may improve her set-ups - or maybe I am just being a bit 'Pollyanna' like:D

I know it's completely different but there was thread on here somewhere from a guy who was making hutches/runs and when it was pointed out that many of them were too small he started building much bigger ones, fully taking on board all the comments and suggestions made.

This site alone is great at educating people. I'm sure that many people are just unaware of what it means to be a good pet owner and i really do hope that your letter has made her see the error of her ways (fantastically worded btw).

I also read on here today about the 'Make Mine Chocolate' campaign. Until i found this site i was one of those uneducated bunny owners who bought a fluffy bunny wabbit as a treat for my kids. Thankfully i've learnt so much from here - can you not point her in the direction of this site?

(P.s. My bunny is now very happy with loving owners and the best care as promoted on RU forums! Lol! )

Georgie I think your reply is great - really fair and educational. Hopefully, some of the information you have given may just filter through. I think she is more likely to respond to an approach like that than one which makes her feel defensive.

As she has said you can visit maybe she genuinely believes she is caring for her animals properly and with some support and additional knowledge may improve her set-ups - or maybe I am just being a bit 'Pollyanna' like:D

I know it's completely different but there was thread on here somewhere from a guy who was making hutches/runs and when it was pointed out that many of them were too small he started building much bigger ones, fully taking on board all the comments and suggestions made.

That's fantastic! :thumb:

Back