• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Observer's Guide to Rabbits

hannah101

Warren Scout
Hiya Everyone :wave:

Has anyone read this? I bought it with high hopes but turns out it's rubbish! I should have known when there was a special thanks to P@H - I'm presuming that's who they got their 'advice' from.

Here's the bits that wound me up:

'They like a decent meal: adult rabbits require 2-2 1/2 pounds of dried food per day as well as fresh dry hay and water. The dried food contains all the necessary nutrition except fibre, which hay provides. You can also supply a handful of fresh vegetables daily.'

No mention of vaccinations, neutering or rescue centres. It also says that they are ideal for school children.

The guinea pig guide is also very brief and has some bad advice:

'Feed them twice a day, giving them as much food as they will eat in one sitting' - are you joking?! Mine would eat till they burst!

I just needed to vent - the Observer had a great opportunity to educate and all they have done is reitterate out of date advice. It's strange as they got some key things right, for example lots of exercise, space, companionship, life span gradually weaning over to new food etc.

You think they would have mentioned about the 35,000 rabbits in rescue.

Should I complain or will it make no difference? :roll:

I will complain, P@H grrrrrrr!

It's so annoying, I spent all day yesterday at a Rabbit Roadshow educating people about good rabbit care, especially feeding and more people will read this tosh and believe what it says :cry:

what's wrong with "you can give a handful of vegetables daily"? I don't give any vegetables to my rabbits, and they are in fine health. As long as you give pellets, and hay (and obviously water), then there's not an issue.

I do agree they could have done more to properly educate people, and saying they are good for school children just before easter is :censored:.

Hiya Everyone :wave:

Has anyone read this? I bought it with high hopes but turns out it's rubbish! I should have known when there was a special thanks to P@H - I'm presuming that's who they got their 'advice' from.

Here's the bits that wound me up:

'They like a decent meal: adult rabbits require 2-2 1/2 pounds of dried food per day as well as fresh dry hay and water. The dried food contains all the necessary nutrition except fibre, which hay provides. You can also supply a handful of fresh vegetables daily.'

No mention of vaccinations, neutering or rescue centres. It also says that they are ideal for school children.

The guinea pig guide is also very brief and has some bad advice:

'Feed them twice a day, giving them as much food as they will eat in one sitting' - are you joking?! Mine would eat till they burst!

I just needed to vent - the Observer had a great opportunity to educate and all they have done is reitterate out of date advice. It's strange as they got some key things right, for example lots of exercise, space, companionship, life span gradually weaning over to new food etc.

You think they would have mentioned about the 35,000 rabbits in rescue.

Should I complain or will it make no difference? :roll:

You could complain via email or comment on the article via their blogs online.

Maybe a point by point rebuttal of their article would show them the errors.:?

Advice from P@H, that famous emporium where "Pets Come First". Was there also an advert for P@H or was the article itself substantially "puff advertising" for P@H?:(

what's wrong with "you can give a handful of vegetables daily"? I don't give any vegetables to my rabbits, and they are in fine health. As long as you give pellets, and hay (and obviously water), then there's not an issue.

I do agree they could have done more to properly educate people, and saying they are good for school children just before easter is :censored:.

Because the target audience are new to rabbits. By emphaising pellets more than veg and hay it's giving the wrong message. I know it's generalising people but I think this message incourages people to give their rabbit a bowl of museli rubbish and that's it.

Our rescue promotes the veg and hay diet anyway so it's personal opinion but still.

I think not mentioning neutering and vaccinations is the issue really. :evil:

You could complain via email or comment on the article via their blogs online.

Maybe a point by point rebuttal of their article would show them the errors.:?

Advice from P@H, that famous emporium where "Pets Come First". Was there also an advert for P@H or was the article itself substantially "puff advertising" for P@H?:(

Thankfully there was no adverts for P@H and the credit was very small. I just thought the article would be more indepth and not the usual generalised info.

Back