• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Success!

Candiflare

Mama Doe
You may remember that I took Buzz to the vet about a month ago and she told me he was psychologically damaged, underweight and scared of humans and that he had spurs on his left side of teeth???

Well... I made a big effort over the last month and I took him back on Friday and guess what? The spurs have GONE, he is at 2.5kg, the PERFECT weight for his size and she said she could tell he was much happier.

Part of this is hugely down to Hurricain Honey who had him for a week while I was in hospital and encouraged him to eat different types of hay and introduced me to fenugreek crunchies. I think this really gave him an enjoyment and appetite for these good foods and he will now eat anything and his teeth will be kept down.

I am SO pleased.

Thats great news! I am so pleased hes all better now and I wish you both a very happy and healthy future together :D

aww well done all three of you, I'm glad he's feeling better :) what were the symptoms of the psychological damage the vet diagnosed?

She wasn't specific, but she said that he wasn't giving her the normal reactions to things she was doing which indicated that he'd given up some of the "survival instinct" that should be present in all buns. She also said that he had a mark and blood on the inside of his mouth/lip that couldn't have been caused by anything except him biting himself - a bit like bunny self harm.

She is very knowledgeable about rabbits and she owns 20 rabbits herself and keeps them in a big pen the size of a parking lot in her garden. She says that she has watched them forming social groups over the years and has rescued several buns and watched how they interact with the other rabbits and her. She said she had also seen this "lip biting" in other buns who had, had difficult pasts. Interesting, isn't it?!

Back