• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit spay - aftercare help?

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
Chloe and Jessica, my two five month old baby bunnies were spayed on Thursday. I picked them up at 5.30pm and put them into their indoor cage with newspaper, blankets, a hot water bottle and some food. They were very quiet and didn't eat or drink anything until the next day (Friday).

I have been cleaning their cage daily and giving them a stroke and some treats (when they have fancied them).

This morning, I thought I should check their stitiches. They were very gentle and let me cradle them like a baby so I could check. BUT now I am worried. Jessica's tummy looked like a stitch has gone and it is more open than it should be (at the end end). The rest of the cut looks neatly stitched.

Chloe's looked slightly worse. Neither of the rabbits appear to have any puss or lots of swelling, but should I do something for their open looking part of the cuts???

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I would check with your vets and take their advice.

One of ours was done on Thursday too, it was stiched internally and glued or something like that.:?

Yes I would definatley call your vets asap and let them know the situation so they can fit you in with an appointment to check them tomorrow. At our vets the nurses do the wound checks so it shouldn't be a problem to get them seen.

I will take them to the vets tomorrow. Just changed their cage again, to make sure they don't get their wounds all dirty!

That's a good idea Tanya, always best with bunnies to get them checked by a vet when you're not sure - especially after surgery!

usually they have to have a 3say and a 10 day post op check so i owuld defo get them in and checked also if they are in pain then they need pain relief as it may stip them eating. x

I would definitely get her checked.

Charlee was spayed on Friday. She picked one stitch yesterday night, and another 2 overnight. I called the vet and she told us to bring her in. I took her in lunchtime today and she had picked the remaining stitches. The area is still fixed together because of the internal stitches. They decided not to put more stitches in because she would no doubt just pull them back out again.

So I have to keep an eye on her and her little belly. She also has some additional pain relief. Usually bunnies apparently don't need any extra pain relief, but the vet wondered whether a little bit would stop her wound annoying her so much.

Either way, it is definitely a good idea to get it checked out.

How are they today? Its good that you checked them over and spotted the missing stitches. I have had this happen too and the vet put some surgical glue on to hold the wound, but as has been mentioned they are internally stitched as well.

Let us know how you get on at the vet x

How are they today? Its good that you checked them over and spotted the missing stitches. I have had this happen too and the vet put some surgical glue on to hold the wound, but as has been mentioned they are internally stitched as well.

Let us know how you get on at the vet x

Yes, please do!!!

Hello.
Sorry I took so long to reply .... the girls have been to the vets. He said that they have both pulled out all of their stitches. We have to keep them in their clean, paper floored cage for ten days - strict cage rest!! Poor babies hate being cooped away. Vet said that the wound is healing well and didn't mention needing to restitch.

Hopefully they will continue to heal.

Back