• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions about general bunny care

K1nS

Warren Scout
I am still a newbie when it comes to rabbits so sorry if I seem to be asking alot of questions :oops:

How much exercise should a rabbit have?

Smudge only has a small hutch at the moment so I like to have her in our spare room which is completly bunny proof as much as I can through the day. If i'm working then she normally goes in there in the mornings before I leave and then again in the evening for a few hours when I come home. If I have the day off work though, she is normally in there for the majority of the day. Is this enough or should I be looking at giving her more exercise?

How often should she go to the vets just for general check ups?

She has been to the vets twice over the past month or so to have her Myxi and VHD vaccines. When she was there they did give her a general check up aswel but i'm wondering if I should be taking her more offen than every 6 months for her vaccines?

Whats a healthy diet for a bunny?

If I give you a little breif of what she has to eat daily: in the morning she has a small amount of pet store pellets which she gobbles up straight away and in the evenings she has some cabbage and carrot on occasion. Her diet also includes hay which she basically has an unlimited supply of.

Is she an indoor bunny?
Bunnies love as much space as possible:D
Her diet sounds fine.Have you ever tried her with herbs?Mine go mad for parsley,corriander and mint.
6 moths visit to the vet is absolutely fine:D

:wave: rabbits should have at least 6-8 hours exercise per day,
they should go to the vets every 6 months or imediatly if they are ill or seem unwell.
carrot/fruit should only be fed 3 times per week because it contains alot of sugar,but dark cabbage,herbs ect every day.if your introducing new fruit/ veg,just do it 1 at a time in small amounts so you dont get any tummy upsets..
hope this helps..
piccies please xx

Thanks both for your replies

Becca: she is an indoor bunny, we have problems in our back garden with fox's and as she is a lone bunny, I wanted to have her indoor just so I could spend as much time with her as poss :love: I have never tried her on herbs, i'll have to do that and see what she likes

Thanks both for your replies

Becca: she is an indoor bunny, we have problems in our back garden with fox's and as she is a lone bunny, I wanted to have her indoor just so I could spend as much time with her as poss :love: I have never tried her on herbs, i'll have to do that and see what she likes

yes most buns love herbs!! mine go mad for corriander or mint!

regarding set ups howw about addinga puppy pen to her hutch/cage so she always ahs access or bunny proofing a room so she has 24hour acces to that room then allowing her free range of house when supervising!? x

I will be attaching a run to her hutch then she has more choice of stuff to do throughout the day. I will also start buying her a new toy each month when I get paid to keep her occupied. The past few weeks my money has gone on her vaccines so I haven't had any spare money to actually on her :oops:

Yeah I will deffo be getting her spayed, I want her to have a husbun in the future and of course for her health also :) Thanks for your reply x

I will be attaching a run to her hutch then she has more choice of stuff to do throughout the day. I will also start buying her a new toy each month when I get paid to keep her occupied. The past few weeks my money has gone on her vaccines so I haven't had any spare money to actually on her :oops:
Mine love the tubes from toilet/kitchen rolls.I stuff them with hay and put a few pellets in them.
A run to her hutch is a good idea:D

Mine love the tubes from toilet/kitchen rolls.I stuff them with hay and put a few pellets in them.
A run to her hutch is a good idea:D

I also give her loo roll tubes but she just eats them haha. I have seen some great toys for her though on pet supermarket :D she is going to be one spoiled bunny :p

:wave: Welcome to being owned by a bun :)
Are you able to budget for pet insurance just in case anything major/untoward occurs? Many people on RU seem to do this so can probably recommend a good provider.

:wave: Welcome to being owned by a bun :)
Are you able to budget for pet insurance just in case anything major/untoward occurs? Many people on RU seem to do this so can probably recommend a good provider.

Agree with you KIWI BRON.

Rabbit pet insurance is getting harder and harder to find in the UK and when you find it, the premiums reflect that rabbits can be/are expensive when they go wrong, BUT if you can afford it, it's worth investing in, particularly when bunnies tend to go wrong on the weekend or in the evening, when it's emergency vets only. An appointment alone can cost £80-100 without treatment.

One of the most common and possibly best providers is Pet Plan.

Most insurances don't do life policies, but only cover a particular condition for a year from the first occurance so make sure you investigate. Pet Plan does for 'life cover', but I'm not sure about 'dental cover' - this is an exclusion for most insurance providers.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice both :) I think I will deffo look into getting pet insurance for her. I know how expensive vet fees can get :shock:

Yeah I will deffo be getting her spayed, I want her to have a husbun in the future and of course for her health also :) Thanks for your reply x

:thumb:

It sounds to me like you're a great bunny mummy!

With the insurence thing, try and find one which covers dentals (although it is unlikely there is one) - I have to spend £120 a month getting my boys' teeth burred, as Petplan decided they wouldn't pay for it any more.

:thumb:

It sounds to me like you're a great bunny mummy!

With the insurence thing, try and find one which covers dentals (although it is unlikely there is one) - I have to spend £120 a month getting my boys' teeth burred, as Petplan decided they wouldn't pay for it any more.

Is this something all bunnies need to get done each month or...?

Back