• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet shop closing in Ledbury - animals still there

alisont

Mama Doe
Hi Just go in so not had chance to get further details but have had this message and wanted to post it:

Ledbury pet shop is closing in 2 weeks and they are selling their animals off at half price - this raises obvious concerns about the type of buyer and the amount of thought behind buying.

I just wondered if anyone could give some of the animals a good home or knows of a shelter that would take them? There are rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, fish etc

I dont live anywhere near to Ledbury but do have a friend who lives there and know of others I can ask more info.

Its a bit worrying that this will be a rush job to get rid of the animals - dont know if the shop will consider letting the animals go on a rescue basis - my guess is they will want the cash? Im worried what will happen if they dont sell the animals in the next 2 weeks.

Will post on the guinea forum and another one I use in case anyone can get over to see what animals are there/what condition they are in.

Will post more details if/when I get them.

Alison, thank you for this. I'm not sure of the shop, I don't really know Ledbury. But I'm glad you posted as some people MUST be able to help. xxx

That is so sad. I wish there was something we could do to help.
Let us know if there are any more details.

Helen

I had a group email on the message facility from a local vegan group - dont know any more details but have asked if anyone can tell me the name of the shop and what animals are there.

I do have a friend who has just moved to Ledbury so Il see if she has a free day to pop in to look and see what/who is there, as far as I know this is the shop closing down wanting to sell any remaining livestock half price.

If it gets to the point that there are animals left I could take a hamster in and do have 1 spare hutch as planning to keep Monty indoors now, but going on holiday soon so tricky.

just off to look up ledbury on a map (i'm near wolves/bridgnorth - that any good?).
my primrose cottage is empty atm whilst my piggies are indoors. will keep checking for further updates on here.

just off to look up ledbury on a map (i'm near wolves/bridgnorth - that any good?).
my primrose cottage is empty atm whilst my piggies are indoors. will keep checking for further updates on here.

Not being a driver my geography is poor but I know Its 18 miles from Worcester - more Hereford way I think? My guess is we would have to buy the animals left to get them out but if it gets to the point where they are closing they might be grateful of an offer of homes/re homing?

Hi have just had this message:

I'm not sure exactly how many animals are there. My friend saw approx 10 rabbits and the same for guinea pigs, a whole tank of white mice, a couple of hamsters and gerbils and lots of fish. She is going back on Tues so I can send an update then.

Am I ok to post the pet shop name on here?

I do have the name, tel number, website if people want it?

If its the one Im thinking of all I can say is good riddance. I was visiting there (partner has family in that area) & I was shocked at how the buns were kept (this was about 2 years ago) There were loads of buns in too small cages, guineas were in with a couple of larger buns & they all had mites or some other skin condition. I complained to the council. They even had some buns out the back (dont think the owner appreciated me going out there) in cages that were even smaller & the buns looked in a really bad way. I did look in the same shop last summer & some refurbishments had been made. Hopefully all the animals will be given good homes, unfortunately Im too far away to help. :(

just wondering what's happening with this now? i googled pet shops there and it only came up with one. ledbury is about an hour and a half from me.

Hi, Just to update.

Any pets remaining unsold when the shop closes are going to an 'Animal Warehouse':?, we can only imagine this is a place where unwanted stock is used for breeding for the pet shop breed.

On Saturday 26 mice, 6 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs were brought here by a kind member of the guinea pig forum.

Jackie (Secretpennell) has taken the mice. They were crowded into 2 small shoe box size homes, and are all ages. Luckily, she reports they were sexed properly.

The guinea pigs and rabbits came as bonded in their different kins. I have a doe with a weepy eye, one of her dew claws was growing into her leg, she was bonded with a little boar guinea pig who has dreadful mite. Apparently the pet shop owner said the doe had been 'very badly abused' before he had her. Frying pan and fire springs to mind, miaow!

A buck rabbit bonded with the main breeding pig and another boar. The breeding pig was bullying the other pig very badly.

A pregnant doe.

Two separate bucks, lovely gentle boys. Apparently one is terrified and therefore not easy to sell. He had a lovely day yesterday and is about as terrified as a tea bag.

And a very visually impaired REW doe, who was in with a rex guinea pig, who was being pestered to the point of paralysis from fear.

All rabbits had very long claws, most had an inch cut off, so I guess they are in the region of one year, have either been living in that shop as breeding animals, or just got too big to sell.

Apparently there are hamsters, gerbils, fish, boar guinea pigs and rabbits remaining. One doe has a litter of 3 week old babies with her.

I know morally we should not give money to pet shops in order to rescue animals, but, believe you me, these will end up with a life of living hell if not saved.

I am full to capacity with rabbits, in the region of 90, may be able to help with a few more piggies.

If anyone else can help please do.

Alice

oh my gawd alice, i didn't realise it was so bad:shock:

is the owner intent on having some money for the remaining animals? trying to work out if there's any way i can help - i could get some out of there but i can't afford to keep them all, esp if they aren't particularly well from the off:(

Hi,

Yes, I am afraid he is. I haven't been there and have only been able to report on the ones I have here, and I was horrified. I expect he could be reported under the Trade Descriptions Act or something for selling 'shoddy' goods. He sounds quite despicable to me and it has really upset me. I am trying to stay level headed, but how a pet shop can be happy to sell animals like this, rather than let them go to a rescue with no cost for their own sakes is quite appalling.

The lady from the Guinea Pig Forum chose the worst ones as much as she could. She knew they had more chance of ending up in the 'Animal Warehouse' and not being sold.

If you have a look at the GP forum some are offering donations to try and rescue more, or I am sure some of the pets are actually more healthy than those who came here.

But, you are sensible to be cautious, vet bills just shoot up and I completely understand your thoughts.

Alice

despicable little man:evil:
my goal is to get a pal for esme and one for eric - if i can ever find a bun as horizontal as he is - but i'm hoping to go to a local rescue for help with that (esp as i'd be too worried to have a doe spayed :oops:). i have my 4 pigs indoors for now but i do have a 2 tier 5' hutch not being used at the moment:?

once in ledbury, is the place easy to find?

Ledbury..... is that somewhere near me? It rings a bell but I am clueless about geography!!

Let me know if I can help, shame its closing so soon, I dont get my loan until the middle of April, what a k**b for demanding money for them :( Horrid little man, I hope he rots in hell.

Well done for getting some of them out Alice :thumb: You are a hero!

not far ( i don't think - maps won't load properly:roll:). ledbury is out thro malvern and down a bit (for me) and across the m50 and up a bit for you (i think - not as far as ross on wye).

Sam_spice and I are going to the pet shop tomorrow, and then to Alices to see what we can do. Some people on the GP forum are offering to pay to get animals out of there and Sam has emailed to see what animals are left.

I still have the bikkies for GPs that I bought off Liz to take to Alices with me so hopefully a nice bikky should make them happy for 5 mins, those poor critters.

LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS ANYONE :)

Thank you.

PS, you can support Alice and her large intake by entering my fundraiser!! Alice is a fantastic woman who never turns away animals in need!! Please, she needs your help now more than ever!! Thank you so much!!!
Link in my sig!!

despicable little man:evil:
my goal is to get a pal for esme and one for eric - if i can ever find a bun as horizontal as he is - but i'm hoping to go to a local rescue for help with that (esp as i'd be too worried to have a doe spayed :oops:). i have my 4 pigs indoors for now but i do have a 2 tier 5' hutch not being used at the moment:?

once in ledbury, is the place easy to find?

I don't know, web site is www.damswood.co.uk You are right to get your bunnies from a rescue local to you, they will probably do the bonding.

Alice

Hi Girls!

Apparently there is a rabbit there suffering from mite and a mother piggy with some babies. Surely someone would not sell a mother and her babies:cry:, but if he does they are best off coming here. And the rabbit, I cannot sleep if I think that poor creature is going to end up being eternally bred from 'til it dies.

Liz (Lucemarbles) can take a hamster, preferably male as she says they live longer. I have a small hamster cage I can keep it in until she returns from her Easter break.

I do not think I can manage anymore, just won't be able to look after them.

Alice x

Back