• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Know Your Rabbit Day - opinions needed

Buuny_Friend

Mama Doe
Hello :wave:

We would really like your honest opinions on this:

For our event, 'Know Your Rabbit Day' (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215145) I would like to have a (to scale) hutch/cage for people to get in to highlight the horror of small accommodation. I am thinking along the lines of 5-6ft long by 2ft deep by 3ft tall.

My brother has already volunteered to be in it for periods of time (bless him!) and I was thinking of offering small prizes for people who spend a length of time in it (say 10 minutes or whatever).

What do you think?

I am keen to go ahead with it but am worried that some people may view it as against human rights or something :)shock:) or that some people won't 'get it'.

I am very interested to know if you think it is a worthwhile idea - HONEST opinions very welcome! :wave:

Thanks you :D

Erin. x

Last edited:
Personally I think it is an original idea which I hope will hit home with some people. If I was closer to you/depending on where you hold the event, I would be willing to spend some time in it. As long as you make it clear to whoever spends time in it that they can get out at any time (or have a big gap in it on one side so that they can get in and out then I think if people are willing to volunteer then it would be ok.

And as long as no-one was in it for a long period of time.

People might object and say its 'inhumane' or whatever but that is the issue you are trying to raise awareness of. But it is only going to be volunteers.

For tall people (or larger people like me!) then it might need to be a bit bigger than what you have said but hopefully you will guage that when you build it.

What kind of event would you have it at? Or would it be to take photos for a local paper or something?

Personally I think it is an original idea which I hope will hit home with some people. If I was closer to you/depending on where you hold the event, I would be willing to spend some time in it. As long as you make it clear to whoever spends time in it that they can get out at any time (or have a big gap in it on one side so that they can get in and out then I think if people are willing to volunteer then it would be ok.

And as long as no-one was in it for a long period of time.

People might object and say its 'inhumane' or whatever but that is the issue you are trying to raise awareness of. But it is only going to be volunteers.

For tall people (or larger people like me!) then it might need to be a bit bigger than what you have said but hopefully you will guage that when you build it.

What kind of event would you have it at? Or would it be to take photos for a local paper or something?

Thank you :)

It is for this event:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=215145

Great idea.:)

You could also point out that a rabbit is supposed to be able to lie down full length and rear up on its hind legs in its tiny "box". Can the human do that in his/her scaled-up box?:shock:

Good luck, hope it goes well.

Erin.

Not sure the size works with humans if you are looking at a comparrison with a rabbit in a hutch. You need to look at the size of a rabbit in comparison to a hutch and then scale it to humans. If your rabbit is 12 inches long 9 inches tall and in a 3 foot cage. You would be looking at a 13 foot tall hutch x 45inches long X 2.25 foot deep hutch.

Erin.

Not sure the size works with humans if you are looking at a comparrison with a rabbit in a hutch. You need to look at the size of a rabbit in comparison to a hutch and then scale it to humans. If your rabbit is 12 inches long 9 inches tall and in a 3 foot cage. You would be looking at a 13 foot tall hutch x 45inches long X 2.25 foot deep hutch.

Thanks Janice - am just putting the feelers out there before deciding on anything definite.

:wave: Agree with Janice plus the dimensions you quote are acceptable under the Welfare Act ... and the size of my outside hutch. I would be offended if you attempted to preach that my living standards are less than adequate.

:wave: Agree with Janice plus the dimensions you quote are acceptable under the Welfare Act ... and the size of my outside hutch. I would be offended if you attempted to preach that my living standards are less than adequate.

This was the size I was thinking of putting my brother in, not scaling that size up to human version (if that makes sense!)

she'd be saying it wouldn't be suitable for a people to be in :wave:
I thinks it's a really good idea...will be a good visual demonstration....especially if you have pictures of good set ups around it...and maybe a rubbish hutch with a cuddle toy bun in too?

Back