• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

disgusted at petshop manager.UPDATE REPLY EMAIL

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i know a few breeders who only hobby breed..one or two litters from one doe maybe two a year.
But today i experienced the work of a breeder i could happily have strangled.
i am very well known in that petshop as is my mum.....and its the only one we go to..if were in town..or its online for us.

so after today..im soo disgusted im not going back again....i usually get cat food if i run out in there
run out in there.....and maybe a check on buns theyre selling...
NOW i will NOT go in there anymore.

Do i look to see if i can contact head office or will it make things even worse for buns?

I saw two little buns...uppy eared cross breeds..dark greyish in colour. the shop had hand written a sign about how long theyd been there...longer than they should have been and how nervous they were.
Then underneath i fell for a black and white lionhead ....he was sooo sweet.

i got my 10 tins of the almo cat food and paid for it. i was talking to the manageress and the shop assistant..and was horrified....that the manageress said she wanted him to go to a home where they wouldnt breed from him....not because it wasnt a nice thing to do..oh no.....

It was because his sister had just been sold and she was ahlf his size..the breeder had let the rabbit have 5 litters in a row:evil::cry::cry:

then the story changed to say the buck kept getting out and once hed even got her through the fence.

To top it all the assisstant then said how shed wisjed she could have kept all hers...she hasnt had any of her buns spayed or neutered..doesnt see why she should theyre fine and not aggressive etc...:roll::censored:
so i told her why she should...and she was like yeah well theyre fine.

i saw an ad for a vets where i used to take my first bun years ago..they say theure accepting chairity vouchers to have buns spayed too.

but it maybe out of date now..ill have to ring them up.

but for these two working in the shop..giving people the idea its ok to carry on like that..im so mad....and i think they got the gist of that :censored:soon enough.

sadly the manageress used to be very nice and up on bun health etc and was always writing down nay books etc usefull.
now shes like all the rest...buy n sell...buy n sell.

my mums like yes but if they ddint buy those poor rabbits...what would happen to them..
yes but if they didnt buy themn shed have to stop breeding them to sell then wouldnt she. or gods forbid shed prob sell them as snake food:(:cry:
if you live in my area...its the pet shop next to the natwest bank in waterlooville.

Last edited:
Oh I know the one you mean......national chain but not PaH :wave:

Maybe I'll drop in on Wednesday and see whats occuring :D

Is the little pet shop down by Iceland I think it is, still there? Haven't been to Waterlooville for a few years now :?

noo the little one near iceland went months ago now!

yes its THAT CHAIN of shop....pampurred pets.

i found the head office number online so will be ringing to lodge complaint.
if youre up for a rant..please feel free......im so upset and mad.....it was from them many eyars back i got my first bun..within 2 weeks shed needed a dental and had oral spyhilis despite having a check over by a vet in leigh park that the pet store had a deal with..free vet check up. wouldnt take her back and i wouldnt have let them..she was my fuirst bun as an adult and taught me lots..and why to not buy from petshops.
altho i did relent and get mum the bun she fell in love with a few years back. she was lucky and i went over that poor rabbit with a fine toothcomb and asked loads of stuff they ddint expect to be asked..in front of a whole steaqdy stream of customers. the manageress at the time said we would never sell un healthy animals you know..ahem i said..ii bg to differ and recounted my tale of kibbles. you could have heard a pin drop if it werent for the squawking birds.

check over by a vet in leigh park that the pet store had a deal with..free vet check up. .

I'll drop in on Weds or Thursday, haven't been that way for a couple of years....and the vets they do the free check with is our vets :wave:

THIS IS THE EMAIL REPLY SENT 24TH MARCH!!

Dear Debbie

Thank you for your email and bringing this to my attention, I can assure you that the animals in our stores are very important to us and are cared for very well. However I will be speaking to the Manager of the store today to ensure that reputable breeders are being used.

Kind Regards
Karen Roy
Regional Manager
PampurredPets

:shock::shock: um...yeah right!

Yet another of the "appear concerned" type of pet shop.

Their website is full of the "extensive training, knowledge and experience" stuff and the "never knowingly sell an unhealthy animal". Unfortunately, the practical delivery of actual care for the animals always seem to fall short.

They even sponsor rescues - so they must know about neutering.

The email that was received appears to be one of the standards platitude -ridden fob offs. "Look concerned - do virtually nothing". It's like the standard, "The safety of the children is our primary concern" platitudes after a child starves to death through neglect.

If you wanted to, you could always send another email to them using the approach of, "You say this but so do this" argument. Like the ones sent to P@H.:evil:

THowever I will be speaking to the Manager of the store today to ensure that reputable breeders are being used.

Does she not know? :shock: Surely as Regional Manager she should already know who the breeders are and PampurredPets should have policies in place?

Poor bunnies :(

Does she not know? :shock: Surely as Regional Manager she should already know who the breeders are and PampurredPets should have policies in place?

Poor bunnies :(

Looking at the Pampurred Pets (PP) website, I very much doubt that the store managers would have the authority or abilities to validate breeders as reputable.

It says (my emphasis), "Store management have the opportunity to further their qualifications by taking a City & Guilds in Pet Store Management qualification and the Companion Animal SQP (Suitably Qualified Person), in order that they can sell selected veterinary products.:roll:

With all due respect to the qualifications, they appear to be an optional opportunity, not a pre-requisite. I would also not expect a C&G to provide training in breeder evaluation and animal care. In respect of breeeders, I would expect that the store manager's authority extends to putting the number/type of animals on the order and possibly an evaluation of whether they can deliver a van-load of animals on time. Not visiting and evaluating the competencies of the breeders.:(

P@H claim to have a Head of Pets who's a vet. I wonder if PP do the same?

The PP company profile appears to concentrate on shifting products.:cry:

In respect of breeeders, I would expect that the store manager's authority extends to putting the number/type of animals on the order and possibly an evaluation of whether they can deliver a van-load of animals on time. Not visiting and evaluating the competencies of the breeders.:(

I'm sure you're right :(

I hope one day pet shops will be banned from selling animals. I hate to think what the conditions are like for the rabbits used for breeding to supply all these shops :(

gem popped into the shop and just saw scared bunnies......

i know ..the stupid work ethos is purely shift the goods.

yes theyre well aware of neutering but the younger one was against it and the older one was pretty dismissive.

they will never tell you who the breeder is either or say they have any contact with but more and more baby buns appear and those poor greyish sisters were too boring and scared for the kids to want them:evil::(

they have little pamphlets..care of your rabbit but i see they were "out".

id print off my own version and insist they stock and pass them to new owners but no printer.

oh yes shell check theyre reputable breeders..they accept buns from anyone!!
grrrrrrrr

sorry im exhausted..bertie having a seizure has left me dizzy..sleep deprived and stressed to the max.
ooh im in the perfect mind to go have a word there:evil:

I go in there most weeks with a client (am a mental health worker) as she gets dog treats from there. I usually go and have a look at the buns. Their cages seem very small so I have always hoped they are not in them for too long.

I've started getting a lot of my pet stuff from the pet part of Wyevale in Havant. They have stopped selling animals there now and most of the staff seem very knowledgable. They often have deals on too - and sell SS pellets which all my buns like.

Mmmmm been busy and haven't had chance to visit this, I am aware of 'Pampered Pets' what an ironic name ! I will be making an appearance though in a while-don't accept that response and send her the link for the RWA recommendations on housing etc. Maybe they need the same quantity of emails as PAH to realise that what they are doing is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. Ring the RSPCA aswell and council environmental health dept.

sadly i have a lot on my plate..as bertie had a seizure and now im worried so much more.......
i will email back rwa articles etc but i dont think theyll even read it.
maybe an rwa member leaflet handout on a saturday or market day friday would be a good idea.

i cannot get to jollyes anymore and if i could they have a steep concrete staircase to get upstairs..but i had a go at them keeping buns in groups with full bowls of musesli food and a teeny handful of hay.
theyre notoriuos for wrongly sexing their rabbits....but if we did a rwa leaflet handout etc we could target pets at home havant then pampurred pets and jollyes in waterlooville.

hmm i renewed my memebrship but havent got any paperwork back or my back copy of rabbiting on..another phone call to make!

Back