• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long weekend away

rachylou

Warren Veteran
I am really freaking out! My Husband and I have booked a long weekend away for our first Wedding Anniversary in June and I am worried about leaving Jims, he is my little baby and I worry about him all the time.
We have people who are able to come and see him for his breakfast, lunch and dinner but no one can stay over night, which would mean he is being left on his own for longer than 10 hours and I do not know what to do!
We live in a block of flats and I keep thinking that 'what if a fire started, no one would know he was in there' 'Or what if he falls ill in the middle of the night?'

It is getting to the stage that I am thinking of canceling the trip because I am too worried about leaving him.

hi.
there are a worry arent they. i rush mine to the vets at any unusual behaviour im becoming a regular. :lol:
why dont you put him into boaring that way you know someone will be able look after him and spend time with him and you will know he is well cared for and not on his own. it would be like jims holiday away aswell :D

He is a VERY easily stressed bunny and I think that being away from home would only make him worse, He suffers terribly with his tummy and the slightest bit of stress can send him in to statis.
The only time he has been away from home was for 4 days when he was hospitalized.

If he fell ill in the middle of the night, you would be asleep and would not know even yourself till you woke up, just as the person going in, in the morning will see how he is then, just the same.

As for a fire-I assume you have a smoke alarm that would make a noise and alert neighbours to call the fire brigade if a fire started in your flat?

Does anyone in your block of flats know you have a rabbit so they could tell the fire brigade?

If not -perhaps you could inform the fire brigade. I would put it in an email to be sure it will be logged.

Ask the person looking after the rabbit to call you in the morning from your house phone after they have checked on him- then you can enjoy the rest of your day without worry.

Some hotels allow pets. Would it be too stressful for him to go with you?

-sue:wave:

If he fell ill in the middle of the night, you would be asleep and would not know even yourself till you woke up, just as the person going in, in the morning will see how he is then, just the same.

As for a fire-I assume you have a smoke alarm that would make a noise and alert neighbours to call the fire brigade if a fire started in your flat?

Does anyone in your block of flats know you have a rabbit so they could tell the fire brigade?

If not -perhaps you could inform the fire brigade. I would put it in an email to be sure it will be logged.

Ask the person looking after the rabbit to call you in the morning from your house phone after they have checked on him- then you can enjoy the rest of your day without worry.

Some hotels allow pets. Would it be too stressful for him to go with you?

-sue:wave:

You do make a lot of sense Sue!
We do not really communicate with the neighbours as we all keep to ourselves, I like the idea of informing the fire brigade! I think I will look in to doing that!
Is it not illegal to leave buns alone longer than 10 hours?
Unfortunatly we are going to Dorset which will take over 2 hours to get to and Jims does not travel well at all, I think it would be far too stressful for him.

I don't think there are any legal rules?.

We have left our buns overnight where someone has called in twice a day =morning and early evenings. Neighbours did know we were away for 2 weeks in USA. We had a smoke alarm so if they heard it they could call fire brigade.

Also I had a reserve person (a neighbour)who had a house key and who could have gone in to feed had planned sitter not been able to attend. The planned sitter was given the number and told to phone the neighbour(or my sister) if for any reason they could not call.
I called the sitter halfway through holiday to make sure all ok.
I also gave sitter the vets tel number and a blank cheque addressed to vet as we were so far away.
(Also my sister would have done a 3 hr round trip if either of the local ones could not have called in).
Back-up is reassuring.

If you are stuck knowing who to ask- maybe a rescue would be a backup?
Some boarders will come to the house for an extra charge.
hope that helps-sue:wave:

Back