• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Your rabbit hutch is too big'

Mazda

Warren Veteran
:shock:

I was just showing a friend my bunnies hutch. and she was like. :shock: thats way to big for bunnies :(

Heres my hutch
P161009_1704.jpg

P171009_1525_02.jpg

Thats why so many bunnies live in tiny hutches, forgotton :cry:

eta: sorry this should be in rabbit chat. :oops:

they jump :) :love:

The attitude of people shocks me, it bugs me that people think buns should be kept in boxes. :(

I was just showing a friend my bunnies hutch. and she was like. :shock: thats way to big for bunnies :(

Heres my hutch
P161009_1704.jpg

P171009_1525_02.jpg

Did you pet your own floor in it ?I have a similar set up and was thinking of doin that as they insist on sitting on the flags even though i have put vet bed down for them:roll:

The attitude of people shocks me, it bugs me that people think buns should be kept in boxes. :(

Thought it was going to be an obvious answer!! :lol:

Its an attitude that doesn't seem to be changing quickly, and I think it's an attitude that can only be blamed on pet shops where joe public thinks they are going to get the correct information :roll:

I don't think its possible for a hutch to be too big!!

All of mine have loads of room but I always think I could give them more :?

Thought it was going to be an obvious answer!! :lol:

Its an attitude that doesn't seem to be changing quickly, and I think it's an attitude that can only be blamed on pet shops where joe public thinks they are going to get the correct information :roll:

I think the public should expect to get good advice from a pet shop to be honest. I am off to buy a sewing machine this afternoon and I am expecting the member of staff I speak to to be able to advise me which one will suit my needs. Why shouldn't a pet shop do this with animals? It's more important.

Can't believe your friend Mai, it's a lovely hutch and your buns always look so content.

I think you should add a ramp... i wouldnt want my rabbits to get hurt when jumping back down onto the floor. :(
It only takes for one foot/leg to slip once hitting the floor to get a breakage :( or even landing wrongly..

:shock: There is no such thing as a rabbit hutch that's too big!

Your fried would probably be disgusted with me for the 4 foot by 10 foot dog kennel Frank and Dulcie share. You're lucky she didn't tell you that you should not keep two rabbits together and one rabbit should be living with one guinea pig. :roll:

Cute little set up, by the way. Instead of a ramp you could make them a little box as a step and a hidey hole.

Last edited:
I think you should add a ramp... i wouldnt want my rabbits to get hurt when jumping back down onto the floor. :(
It only takes for one foot/leg to slip once hitting the floor to get a breakage :( or even landing wrongly..

I think a ramp would be good too- TermiteFrank's idea is good -a box as a hidey hole too- buns would love that. Would have to be sure the box is wide enough and doesn't slip though. A nice set-up :love:

sue:wave:

Heres my hutch
P161009_1704.jpg

P171009_1525_02.jpg

I have one similar for molly and joker.And have a ramp which they love running up and down.

I'll bet she will indeed make a staircase:) I made modifications for our elderly arthritic bun.:) My husband made a ramp with thick white bars on it for a partially sighted bun,:). Would do whatever we can to make them happy:)
-sue:)

Last edited:
How can it be too big? The bigger the better, right? TBH Smudge has a really small hutch but she gets free range of our spare room during the day. I think your set up is lovely

I have a 48" dog crate for Radish in the living room and was told by our friends it was too big and why did she need the pen attached as well :roll:

The scary thing is 2 of them have buns of their own :cry:

Back