PDA

View Full Version : 'Your rabbit hutch is too big'

Mazda
20-03-2010, 12:07 PM
:shock:

I was just showing a friend my bunnies hutch. and she was like. :shock: thats way to big for bunnies :(

Heres my hutch
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/mazda_mai/P161009_1704.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg134/mazda_mai/P171009_1525_02.jpg

Thats why so many bunnies live in tiny hutches, forgotton :cry:

eta: sorry this should be in rabbit chat. :oops:

OriginalFlintstone
20-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Too big!! Ha! That hutch is awesome and those are 2 very lucky bunnys!! I has question tho - How do they get to the run?:lol:

Mazda
20-03-2010, 12:18 PM
they jump :) :love:

The attitude of people shocks me, it bugs me that people think buns should be kept in boxes. :(

tracey madigan
20-03-2010, 12:24 PM

I was just showing a friend my bunnies hutch. and she was like. :shock: thats way to big for bunnies :(

Heres my hutch

Did you pet your own floor in it ?I have a similar set up and was thinking of doin that as they insist on sitting on the flags even though i have put vet bed down for them:roll:

OriginalFlintstone
20-03-2010, 12:26 PM

The attitude of people shocks me, it bugs me that people think buns should be kept in boxes. :(

Thought it was going to be an obvious answer!! :lol:

Its an attitude that doesn't seem to be changing quickly, and I think it's an attitude that can only be blamed on pet shops where joe public thinks they are going to get the correct information :roll:

biscuitblossom
20-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I don't think its possible for a hutch to be too big!!

All of mine have loads of room but I always think I could give them more :?

Rhian33
20-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Thought it was going to be an obvious answer!! :lol:

Its an attitude that doesn't seem to be changing quickly, and I think it's an attitude that can only be blamed on pet shops where joe public thinks they are going to get the correct information :roll:

I think the public should expect to get good advice from a pet shop to be honest. I am off to buy a sewing machine this afternoon and I am expecting the member of staff I speak to to be able to advise me which one will suit my needs. Why shouldn't a pet shop do this with animals? It's more important.

Can't believe your friend Mai, it's a lovely hutch and your buns always look so content.

LilVicky
20-03-2010, 12:38 PM

I think you should add a ramp... i wouldnt want my rabbits to get hurt when jumping back down onto the floor. :(
It only takes for one foot/leg to slip once hitting the floor to get a breakage :( or even landing wrongly..

TermiteFrank
20-03-2010, 12:38 PM
:shock: There is no such thing as a rabbit hutch that's too big!

Your fried would probably be disgusted with me for the 4 foot by 10 foot dog kennel Frank and Dulcie share. You're lucky she didn't tell you that you should not keep two rabbits together and one rabbit should be living with one guinea pig. :roll:

Cute little set up, by the way. Instead of a ramp you could make them a little box as a step and a hidey hole.

weeble
20-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Cute little set up, by the way. Instead of a ramp you could make them a little box as a step and a hidey hole.

I was thinking this too. I had one in the shed when Albert was in there cuz he was too small to jump onto the shelf :D

Jack-Bun
20-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Too big :shock::shock:

I sometimes look at D&J's kennel and think of ways to make it bigger :lol::oops:

kerry-123
20-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Wow what a class set up! How can it be TOO BIG?! eugh people

sdf76
20-03-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you should add a ramp... i wouldnt want my rabbits to get hurt when jumping back down onto the floor. :(
It only takes for one foot/leg to slip once hitting the floor to get a breakage :( or even landing wrongly..

I think a ramp would be good too- TermiteFrank's idea is good -a box as a hidey hole too- buns would love that. Would have to be sure the box is wide enough and doesn't slip though. A nice set-up :love:

sue:wave:

happysaz133
20-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Makes you wonder what she thinks is a good size.

clarebear
20-03-2010, 06:37 PM
That's a lovely set up. Did you buy it, or make it yourself?

mollyjoker
20-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Heres my hutch

I have one similar for molly and joker.And have a ramp which they love running up and down.

rabbitapril
20-03-2010, 08:26 PM
when your buns get older and less agile will you make them a staircase?
did you build this youself it looks great?

sdf76
20-03-2010, 09:00 PM
I'll bet she will indeed make a staircase:) I made modifications for our elderly arthritic bun.:) My husband made a ramp with thick white bars on it for a partially sighted bun,:). Would do whatever we can to make them happy:)
-sue:)

K1nS
20-03-2010, 09:05 PM
How can it be too big? The bigger the better, right? TBH Smudge has a really small hutch but she gets free range of our spare room during the day. I think your set up is lovely

hellsdarkrose
20-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I have a 48" dog crate for Radish in the living room and was told by our friends it was too big and why did she need the pen attached as well :roll:

The scary thing is 2 of them have buns of their own :cry:

angeleyes
20-03-2010, 09:08 PM
People nearly faint when they see mine in sheds and aiverys!

sdf76
20-03-2010, 09:09 PM
How can it be too big? The bigger the better, right? TBH Smudge has a really small hutch but she gets free range of our spare room during the day. I think your set up is lovely

I totally agree- the bigger the better.:)-sue:wave:

clutterydrawer
20-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Mai all your friend has done by making that comment is reveal her own ignorance! I hope she didn't upset you, I think it's a lovely hutch and your buns always look so happy and healthy in their photos :)

PS if you don't feel up to making a ramp at the minute but want them to have an easier climb down, you could just put a box there to act as a step. :)

Mazda
21-03-2010, 12:34 PM
.. they had a ramp, but the kept falling off it. And there used to be a box there, but they kept moveing it, i have tried serveral things, but the just move it. :roll: They are happy with it like that at the minite, obviosly, when they get older. It will be modified, well. Thats if the hutch lasts that long, they just eat it! Its so chewed :lol:

I bought the hutch, and added the floor :)

tanya_306
21-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Wow!! I LOVE that cage!! Where did you get it from?! Thanks.

Mazda
21-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow!! I LOVE that cage!! Where did you get it from?! Thanks.

Thank you :) I got it from bits for pets. :)
www.bitsforpets.com/

We added the floor though :)

Rachel89
21-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Can you put something inside like bicks of the box so it doesn't move?
Honey hurt her leg jumping off a ramp before :(

drpengie
21-03-2010, 12:52 PM
some people have no idea! You can never have too much room for a rabbit. The more space the better!

tracey madigan
21-03-2010, 01:03 PM
.. they had a ramp, but the kept falling off it. And there used to be a box there, but they kept moveing it, i have tried serveral things, but the just move it. :roll: They are happy with it like that at the minite, obviosly, when they get older. It will be modified, well. Thats if the hutch lasts that long, they just eat it! Its so chewed :lol:

Hi just wondering what you made the floor with and do you not find that it gets wet,my two wont come out of their house unless the door to the run is open so they can come into the garden lol They may prefer a floor:roll:

Gemmapookie
21-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Too big?? mine have free run of my flat and I STILL feel I want to give them more space! Some people are just very uneducated when it comes to rabbit care, but that seems rediculous! Does she think rabbits live in small cages in the wild??!!
xxxx

lottielouise
21-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Mine did that, not sure if you could get access to do this, but with mine I added a hinge to either side , attaching one side to the hutch and the other side to the ramp, that way the ramp has some movement, but will not fall off.

As for the raised floor, a touch of genius I think, I am constantly worried about wet paws as I live on a hill, and all the water flows through my garden.

areia
21-03-2010, 01:23 PM
what gets me is the mentality they would watch watership down then stick their bun in a 3 foot ummmmmmmmmmm, its common sense the bigger the better, its the bloody breeder hutches you see that are 3x3 that encourages the norm

Gemmapookie
21-03-2010, 01:36 PM
what gets me is the mentality they would watch watership down then stick their bun in a 3 foot ummmmmmmmmmm, its common sense the bigger the better, its the bloody breeder hutches you see that are 3x3 that encourages the norm

Spot on, surely its common sense isn't it??? Some people just astound me!
xxx

clarebear
22-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Wow that's lovely and not too expensive either really........tempting :lol:

Bella&Muffins mummy
22-03-2010, 02:12 PM
It really upsets me when I think about all the ignorant parents that buy their children bunnies and stick them in a cramped hutch at the bottom of the garden, and when the child gets bored of it they often get no cuddles or company and are cleaned out once a blue moon. It really makes me sad and angry when I start thinking about this, I don't think buns are good pets for children at all unless they have responsible bunny loving parents with a wealth of knowledge on bun health and happiness who will gladly take over when child gets bored. they're such sensitive delicate little creatures and I know for sure I wouldn't want noisy excitable children around my girls.

It's great to know that everybody on this forum is absolutely loopy about buns and gives them the absolute best care and life they can, I'm so pleased to be part of this group xx :cry::censored::no: :bunny::love::bunny::bunny:

Mazda
22-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Mai all your friend has done by making that comment is reveal her own ignorance! I hope she didn't upset you, I think it's a lovely hutch and your buns always look so happy and healthy in their photos :)

Thank you :) My bunnies are happy in their hutch :)
She didnt upset me as such, she just made me angry. :oops:

LuceMarbles
22-03-2010, 07:14 PM
I have two that have the whole of downstairs and two that have the whole of upstairs. :D

If that gets too small I can't afford a bigger house :( :lol:.

Vicki
22-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I think you've got a brilliant hutch for them, the more room the better! I had my hutch made, its 8ft long by 3ft two storeys high, whenever we have someone come round who hasnt seen it they always say the same as your friend! I guess people just have no idea and think its ok to put a rabbit in a tiny hutch and leave it there :evil:...To me, I now wish I had my hutch made biggger!