• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red Wee

clarebear

Mama Doe
Looked in Bramble's litter tray this morning, and there appears to be some red wee. Bit worried because we thought it might be blood, but then remembered that he had had some beetroot treats. Could this be the cause of it?

Was a bit worrying to see it this morning!

Also been a bit worried as he doesn't seem to be pooping as much as normal. I think this is due to the fact that he hasn't beenj eating his hay. The last bag of Excel Timothy Hay with Herbage I brought really isn't as nice as normal. Anyone else found this? It doesn't smell as nice and there is lots of brown grass in there this time.

Last edited:
Funny this should be the first post I read! Smudge went through a stage of having red wee and I was so worried because it looked just like blood! I took her to the vets to have her myxi jab and they asked me what her diet was like and because I feed her cabbage, thats the cause, she has a high proteen diet :lol: Just glad it wasn't wee!

If it is thin like just "coloured" it should be OK. If there is blood in it, it would probably be thicker or "clotted" type thing (don't know if that this the right description).

What have you fed him today as there are other things which can make urine red/orange coloured.

red wee is usually too much protein or pigmented food such as dandilions, rose leaves, carrots etc, the wee can be distinguished form blood by putting a pice of kitchen towel/loo roll dipped onto it if it sblood it will dry brown if it dries red/orange or other its just pigmentation! hope this helps xx

Back