• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits in Aviaries??

davinab

Young Bun
I know of several people who keep rabbits in bird aviaries..with birds in...

Just wondered what the opinion is on this....o.k it gives them a good run but surely bird poo is not very nice to run about in etc.

I have a 16' x6' aviary with 8 cockatiels which is not intense but would not consider putting bunnies in to jump around in the mess (little though it is)

our local park keep rabbits and guinea pigs in aviarys, i think it is completly inappropriate i have complaind many times just to be told the rspca say its ok. but all winter the small pets hed no shelter except for rubbish hutches to sit in. i have also seen the peacocks viciously pekking the rabbits when people put food through the mesh. I dont visit the park anymore it is just too upsetting espesially that most people think this is accetable accomodation.

I have an aviary of budgies and I'd never put my bunnies in there. I don't know which would annoy the other more!
The birds like to have a good peck around on the ground. I think they'd be a bit nervous to do that with the rabbits around. And all the bird droppings would fall down onto the rabbits.

So no, I don't think it's a very good idea... never heard of people doing that before!

I have and aviary set up

I have build an aviary on the back of the garage for my bunnies and it's great, i have double hutches with plenty of bedding and they stay out all year round and had no problems with them at all.

our area behind the garage is quite secluded and sheltered that helps with weather also but it's also airy and gets good light but not direct sunlight all my bunnies seem very happy with it and i have had rescue centre's all seem happy with the set up also

i would recommend it but do consider all the various options i would never do anything i felt cruel or would cause harm my bunnies are my world and i love them dearly if your gut feeling says no i'd go with your feelings i can only speak from my experience i hope it helps

I've kept rabbits with birds before! *awaits backlash...*

In my old house, I had a big 15X8 foot finch and canary aviary and I'd always pop a bun in the bottom during the day. It almost seemed silly not to as there was so much space! It was a planted avairy so birdy poops got washed into the mud when it rained (if it wasn't raining, I'd get my watering can out!). I also put up 'poo catcher' under the main perches (basically, little shelves that caught most of the poo!). I kept the bird seed high up out of reach. The rabbits didn't mind the birds and the birds didn't mind the rabbits. I never had any problems at all and had very happy pets. :wave:

However, I would say that bunnies and parrot type birds should not be mixed at all. Budgies, tiels etc are much braver than little seed eaters and if bunny gets too close or the bird decided to investigate furthur then there would be a risk of one or other animal being hurt/bitten. Also bear in mind the bunny/bird/space ratio. In my big avairy I normally had Mulberry bunny and around 25/30 teeny finches. Popping a bun in a smaller avairy with a higher number of birds will probably turn the bunny white! :roll::lol:

Back