• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Massive, long poos, what is causing them ?

Charys

Mama Doe
Last night I went out to generally tidy up the playhouse and noticed some really odd poos. There were quite a few of them in various locations round the playhouse floor, maybe a dozen...and I can only described their shape like being something resembling large guinea pig poos. They were not mushy, fairly firm and fibrous (yes, I was breaking them in half LOL!) and yet they are 3 or 4 times the size of his normal poo and such an odd elongated shape. Mint himself seems fine, eating his hay and pellets as normal, active and alert. His litter tray was full of normal golden poos, but these ones were around the playhouse floor. I watched him use his litter tray, and yet again he produced some 'normal' ones, so I am mystified ! Anyone idea of the cause, and should I be concerned ?

long stools

Yes I know what you mean, my rabbit produced a few over a period of a couple of days, but also normal ones, he behaved perfectly normal, that was a while ago now and he is still fit and healthy...so cant help you with a cause

My Cookie has had those as well on occasions but seems fine. No idea I'm afraid as to what may have caused them. As long as Mint seems ok and is pooing ok now, I wouldn't worry though I am no expert.:wave:

Was there any hair in them? Is Mint moulting? One of my two has been doing some odd shaped poops - still normal in colour and texture but more oval than round and they're full of hair.

I would not worry unless he is acting different in any way and as long as he is eating, drinking and doing normal poops too then I would just put it down to 'One of those things' Jims does them too but I only tend to worry if there are NO normal droppings or they are getting smaller.

Thanks for the responses guys, no there was no hair in them, he's not moulting yet. It seems from what everyone says that there is no need to worry - it had me SO bemused I was imagining that we had a 1/2 metre guinea pig escapee in there - they have got to be at least 4 times the size of normal poos - gigantic. He is hale and hearty today and eating well, poos are back to normal. Most odd. Thanks again.

Back