• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

10wk old rabbit still biting everyone

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, I bought this rabbit from pets at home a couple of weeks ago and ever since we brought him home he bites everyone he gets handled several times a day but he still bites.
My children are frightened of him because of him biting and I don't know what to do has anyone got any ideas.

Maybe he doesn't like to be handled. It may be best if you went down to his level and offered him some treats. Try not to lift him as rabbits, being prey animals, hate to be lifted. I'm sure he'll calm down when he's castrated.

Hi, I bought this rabbit from pets at home a couple of weeks ago and ever since we brought him home he bites everyone he gets handled several times a day but he still bites.
My children are frightened of him because of him biting and I don't know what to do has anyone got any ideas.

He is probably trying to tell you not to handle him, especially the kids. You shouldn't really 'handle' bunnies for at least a couple of days when you first get them, you can stroke them and talk to them but, picking them up isn't advisable they need time, patience and understanding of the fact that when their paws leave the floor they are vulnerable. There are several threads on at the moment about bunnies and nipping when picked up or 'handled' - rabbits aren't cats, they are completely different in terms of one being prey and the other a predator. Rabbits do have intelligence and it is possible with time and patience at their level to build a bond of trust and mutual respect. You need to sit on the floor and let the bunny come to you - hand feed nice herbs or greens for a couple of weeks, make the bunny realise that you are going to do what is enjoyable for them first. Did you buy this rabbit for your children? If so how old are they?

[QUOTE=w1lll

It could just be fear. I'm presuming that they get at least three hours of free ranging a day?

They get about 2 hrs of running around a day and alot of attention.

What I don't understand is my other rabbits I bought as babies didn't bite, but I will be more patient with him.

My children are aged 10,11 and 12yrs of age.

my rex Inara nips, she lets me pick her up to move her in and out of the run for example but if i pick her and hold her after a minute she starts wriggling and nipping to say she wants to get down. most buns dont like to be picked up. does he nip when you stroke him on the floor?

It is probably down to hormones, which would be solved by neutering. Where does he live?

He lives with a 8mth old neutered male in a large indoor cage.

Just to warn you ... you might want to keep a beady eye on these 2!

I would get the younger male neutered as soon as he is old enough (and his testicles have descended)

But I have a feeling you *might* be facing problems with these 2 in the future as they are unrelated males.

Do they get time out of their cage every day?

With regards to the biting - he is probably scared! Be careful how you react when he does bit people as shouting, screaming etc will only scare him further.

Two hours out the cage each day isn't enough for an indoor rabbit. If I had an indoor rabbits, they would have their own room and be free range in that room 24/7. I really don't think indoor cages are suitable to be locked in, they should just be used as a base and kept open all day and all night.

Two hours out the cage each day isn't enough for an indoor rabbit. If I had an indoor rabbits, they would have their own room and be free range in that room 24/7. I really don't think indoor cages are suitable to be locked in, they should just be used as a base and kept open all day and all night.

I have to agree with this.

My indoor buns have their own room and have the run of the whole downstairs when we are home

He probably is frightened, some rabbits just never like you picking them up unfortunately and even after being neutered doesn't mean he will stop. I think you are just going to have to give him time and you alot of patience with him.
As previously said you may well encounter problems with them both being males.

Hello, Thank you for your advice I found out why the baby rabbit is biting, it was because he could smell the other rabbits on my clothes and in the house.
Unfortunatley I've had to let my son have him at his house until he is neutered.

Smudge hates being picked up, the only time she doesnt mind is when I am taking her somewhere (to and from the spare room and her hutch) she hates just sitting on my lap and she will bite (which can hurt sometimes) I find shes fine if I don't pick her up so maybe its the same with yours :)

Back