• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

over eating bunny help

bambi2906

Warren Scout
hi:wave:

i recently bonded my two bunnies and all is great however one is a big veg and pellet eater so because i am scattering the food he must be getting more then his fair share as he has rather a runny bum. ( well i think its him anyway) so should i stop all greens and pellets and give just hay or stop greens and give hay and pellets until the poos are normal and then slowly introduce the things i have taken out i just dont want it to turn into someting serious.

What pellets are you feeding? Loads of buns can't tolerate certain brands. It's probably worth gradually switching to Science Selective, or Oxbow, if you don't feed them already. It's also important to encourage plenty of hay eating, so maybe get some special hay to ring the changes? The Hay Experts do sample packs of different hays, which your buns might enjoy. :) It's just possible as well that you're feeding a certain veg which is upsetting them. What veggies do you give them?

Last edited:
What pellets are you feeding? Loads of buns can't tolerate certain brands. It's probably worth gradually switching to Science Selective, or Oxbow, if you don't feed them already. It's also important to encourage plenty of hay eating, so maybe get some special hay to rig the changes? The Hay Experts do sample packs of different hays, which your buns might enjoy. :) It's just possible as well that you're feeding a certain veg which is upsetting them. What veggies do you give them?

yep i would sya go with pellets and hay for a bit and gradually reintroduce the veg,,,,however if bun is still having issue s when on hay and pellets it could be a)feeding too many pellets or b) the bun cant handle that brand(As above) i have had problems with excel and with wagg optimum with some bunnies but ss seems great all round jsut intorduce gradually!!! x

hi thanks for the replies.
i gave him a handful of pellets which were excel and a few leaves of watercress then hay and a bit of redigrass today and this afternoon he seemed really lazy and tired and he had gurgling noises in his belly so i rushed him straight to the vets as i was so worried. she checked him over and said he was fine gave him a injection just in case she said he might not be eating his poos because he is stressed from bonding she said to keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating. got him home and he ate hay so am little less stressed just dont want him to go into statis as ive read on here its bad.
i just hoping its the stress of bonding even though it was a very easy bond to make
:D

Back