• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skin contact of the Myxi Vac - any adverse effect? U/D Response from Vet

OH is annoyed as I just payed and left. I was too upset to argue. The vet is new, when I asked if Bracken was big enough to be spayed (she's old enough bt quite small) she practically told me I was an idiot for concidering it. She was so rough with them she made Bracken cry. :cry:

I've written a letter to the main vet to complain. I have 8 rabbits registered and my normal vet is brill but I don't really want her treating my buns again.

She made a rabbit scream??? Id have wrung her neck!!!!
Glad youve written a letter of complaint.......

good for you complaining, i would definatly get the 10% redone i think you can have it done in a few weeks (obviously with a rabbit savvy vet)
x

Amy - i see you're in Bristol. There is a good rabbit clinic there and we have a very good vet in Gloucester - pm bunlover for details-sue:wave:

Thanks Sue. They have two really good vets at the practice I use, its 5 mins round the corner and operates its own in house 24hr emergancy care so it's normally ideal. This vet is new, I've not seen her before so I think my best bet is to ask that all my appointments are made with the more experienced vets in future.

Well the main vet phoned. She doesn't know where I got my info from regarding spaying. There is no info in the uk to support this, I must of got some dodgy info off an american site. They will spay her if I insist but I'm putting her at risk if I do.

The injection - Its normal for some to go on the fur. Is it normal for almost the whole 10% of the intradermal to go over me?! :shock:

Handling - She cannot comment as she wasn't there but everyone has to learn so practice will do her good.

I don't know whether to :censored: or :cry:

Im not impressed at all.Sorry.:oops:
Thats just excuse after excuse....:shock:
There are some risks with speying but the same goes for every animal or even humans when going under GA depending on other hidden conditions.
My advice, and perhaps you find me out of turn, is find another vet.

You aren't out of turn, I am already on the case to find another vet. I just noticed that the other one in my area is recommended on Greenwich rabbit rescues website so perhaps I'll give them a call.

Good grief, I'd be absolutely livid at that response :evil:

Definitely time to start looking for a new vet. If you do start going somewhere else make sure you let the practice know why you won't be using them anymore.

Well the main vet phoned. She doesn't know where I got my info from regarding spaying. There is no info in the uk to support this, I must of got some dodgy info off an american site. They will spay her if I insist but I'm putting her at risk if I do.

:shock:

Cynthia R. Bishop, Reproductive medicine of rabbits and rodents DVM, Vet Clin Exot Anim 5 (2002) 507–535
"Does that are not spayed have a high occurrence of uterine neoplasia"

This was known about in the 1950s when a revolutionary paper was published studying this:
Harry S. N. Greene, ADENOCARCINOMA OF THE UTERINE FUNDUS IN THE RABBIT, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 75, Issue 0, Date: January 1959, Pages: 535-542
"The most common form of neoplasia in the domestic rabbit is an adenocarcinoma of the uterine fundus"

The British Association of Small Animal Vets has a good summary for vets:
http://www.bsava.com/Advice/PolicyStatements/NeuteringofRabbits/tabid/162/Default.aspx
including the following:
EVIDENCE-BASED SUPPORTIVE INFORMATION

Uterine adenocarcinoma is the most common tumour of entire female rabbits, with reported incidence of 50 - 80%1,2,3,4 in animals of certain breeds (tan, French silver, Havana and Dutch)5 that are older than 4 years, although breeding history is not a factor. Over time, the endometrium undergoes progressive change including hyperplasia, which is associated with adenocarcinoma, as in humans.
Local invasion of the myometrium occurs rapidly and infiltration may extend to other peritoneal structures. More distant metastases to the lung, liver and sometimes brain and bone can occur within 1-2 years3. Clinical signs in breeding females include decreased fertility, small litters and increased stillbirths. In pet rabbits, owners may notice haematuria or a serosanguinous vaginal discharge, cystic mammary glands, and later weight loss, depression and respiratory signs due to pulmonary metastases. Treatment is ovariohysterectomy with thoracic radiography to evaluate for metastases. If metastases are present the prognosis is extremely poor.
Mammary neoplasia is less common in this species, but when it does occur it spreads rapidly and is usually concurrent with uterine neoplasia. Cystic mammary glands are common and although a benign change, the excess fluid within the glands can be uncomfortable.

REFERENCES

Baba N, von Haam E: Animal model for human disease: spontaneous adenocarcinoma in aged rabbits. Am J Pathol 1972; 68:653-656

Ingalls TH, Adams WM, Lurie MB et al: Natural history of adenocarcinoma of the uterus in the Phipps rabbit colony. J Natl Cancer Inst 1964; 33:799-806.

Weisbroth SH: Neoplastic diseases. In Manning PJ, Ringler DH, Newcomer CE, eds. The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit. New York, Academic Press, 1994, pp 259-292.

Greene HSN: Uterine adenomata in the rabbit. J Exp Med 1941; 73: 273-292

Pare JA, Paul-Murphy J: Disorders of the reproductive and urinary systems. In Quesenberry KE, Carpenter JW, eds. Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents. Clinical Medicine and Surgery. Missouri, Saunders, 2004, pp183-193.

Harcourt-Brown F: Textbook of Rabbit Medicine, Oxford, Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002

The injection - Its normal for some to go on the fur. Is it normal for almost the whole 10% of the intradermal to go over me?! :shock:

Handling - She cannot comment as she wasn't there but everyone has to learn so practice will do her good.

I don't know whether to :censored: or :cry:

I'm ashamed for my profession - uneducated and misinformed (dont know where on earth s/he got that drivvel from), NONE of the injection should go anywhere except in the rabbit, and in the right proportions. And inexperience is no excuse for that level of incompetance with handling. Definately complain, formally, and definately move.

Back