• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

poorly rabbit.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Our vet has had a rabbit handed in, it was thin, and had abscesses around its rump, nose and eye. It is very bright and eating well, the abscesses are clearing up with treatment.
The vet who is dealing with it isn't sure if it is myxi, but I said if it is recovering it must have been vaccinated and has developed nodular myxi, it also seems unlikely to be that after the winter we've had here and it is very early in the year.
Is this correct.

I've told the vet he needs to keep the rabbit for a week, legally, to give the owners a chance to reclaim it, to put up a notice in the practice and if the owner cares I would assume they would contact the vet.

If nobody claims it, I've said we will take it, but what are the implications of this. Mine are all vaccinated 6 monthly, she will obviously be kept in quarantine initially, but for how long do I need to keep her seperate, if she does/did have myxi.

Only 13 views and no answers.
Any advice from anybody, if I don't have her- any info might help the vet and the rabbit.

Doesnt the vet know???
I understand myxi has a 14 day period till it comes out but no idea about after infection has gone.
Sorry Im no help....but sending vibes for bun and love to you for being who you are and thinking about this poor bunny.

Same as what has been said above...no advice but wanted to send vibes for the bunny to get better.x

Doesnt the vet know???
I understand myxi has a 14 day period till it comes out but no idea about after infection has gone.
Sorry Im no help....but sending vibes for bun and love to you for being who you are and thinking about this poor bunny.

I think the problem is our vets usually see rabbitswho have full blown myxi, and then the fair option is PTS.
I think the fact that the abscesses have started to clear so easily confuses them- they were filled with pus-and they then wonder if it is something else.
They think the rabbit has been in the wild for quite a while because she is quite thin, but she is good to handle. I can't imagine someone dumping a rabbit if they have gone to the bother of vaccinating, but then again there are only a few places that take in rehomes and they are 'at least' 5 miles away.:roll:

The vet says she is a lionhead, but I haven't seen her, so I don't know.

If she does come to us, I just want to make sure my own buns are safe.

I think the problem is our vets usually see rabbitswho have full blown myxi, and then the fair option is PTS.
I think the fact that the abscesses have started to clear so easily confuses them- they were filled with pus-and they then wonder if it is something else.
They think the rabbit has been in the wild for quite a while because she is quite thin, but she is good to handle. I can't imagine someone dumping a rabbit if they have gone to the bother of vaccinating, but then again there are only a few places that take in rehomes and they are 'at least' 5 miles away.:roll:

The vet says she is a lionhead, but I haven't seen her, so I don't know.

If she does come to us, I just want to make sure my own buns are safe.

Dont blame you one bit,safety for your own is most important.Having myxi in the camp...something Alice chamberlain knows about.
Just hope somebun comes along who can help.Jacks Jane?? mariah Kubiak??

Some people may be cautious about posting as the question of what to do about having a rabbit with myxi mix with other rabbits tends to attract some 'heated' discussions.

Some people may be cautious about posting as the question of what to do about having a rabbit with myxi mix with other rabbits tends to attract some 'heated' discussions.

why??:) by the time bun goes "home" she would have recovered,,isnt that the question that the OP wants to know?? when will bunny be well and over this awful disease???:wave:

Thanks, that is exactly what I want to know.
I just want to know how long the bun will remain infectious for. She will be kept seperate for 2 weeks, per my usual treatment on a new intake.

I don't understand why it would cause a heated debate, surely this bun deserves a home as much as any other.

Of course she does. Surely as long as you were to keep her quarantined and followed strict disinfection procedures - including yourself and your clothes before tending to your own buns, used a blue fly light etc and basically lowered the risks of transmission as much as possible it would be feasible if you wanted to take her in? It is your risk to take after all.
I'm just wondering are the vets certain it is Myxi? or cutaneous Myxi? Could not the abcesses be pasturella abcesses for example? unusual spread and concentration of infection I agree... but just wondering. (and guessing clearly :oops:)
I hope bun makes a speedy recovery and finds her way home or to you soon. Thank you for caring. :)

I don't know anything about myxi transmission I'm afraid, but just wanted to send some vibes for the bun. It would be a great outcome if she could get a forever home with you :)

Of course she does. Surely as long as you were to keep her quarantined and followed strict disinfection procedures - including yourself and your clothes before tending to your own buns, used a blue fly light etc and basically lowered the risks of transmission as much as possible it would be feasible if you wanted to take her in? It is your risk to take after all.
I'm just wondering are the vets certain it is Myxi? or cutaneous Myxi? Could not the abcesses be pasturella abcesses for example? unusual spread and concentration of infection I agree... but just wondering. (and guessing clearly :oops:)
I hope bun makes a speedy recovery and finds her way home or to you soon. Thank you for caring. :)

That's the problem, we're not sure if it is myxi, as I said in my first post it seems a funny time of year and we have had frost and snow for 4 and half months, I would have thought that would have killed or slowed down a lot of the insect vectors for myxi. I did wonder if it was the cutaneous form, otherwise she wouldn't be getting better. The other option would be that she has been caught by something and the wounds have abscessed.

I have to go in today for some cat meds, so will maybe get a look at her myself, she is apparently a little sweetie.

Just seen the bunny and she is beautiful, she's a caramel coloured lionhead.
She has one very sore eye and a wee scab under her nose on the same side, she also has a couple of 'wounds' on her back rather than on her genitals which are fine. Yvette has very kindly found out that is takes 3 months for a bun to be cleared of myxi, but does this sound like it would be, surely myxi would affect both eyes and not th back?

Any input would be welcome.

Sorry I haven't any knowledge on myxi recovery/infection timescales etc, but wish her a speedy recovery and hope you are able to take her home!

Definitely not syphillis or ringworm?

What treatment is the vet giving?

Not quite sure- she had/ getting antibiotics and fucithalmic in her eye ( all paid for by the vet), but I dont know what else.

If it was syphilis it would be on her genitals, wouldn't it.
Dont know about ringworm, it hasn't been mentioned yet, do ringworm sores fill with pus, her were.

Thanks for answering.

Beth from Brinsley Rescue -http://brinsleyanimalrescue.org/ is knowledgeable on myxi buns, she might be able to give you some advice on care and treatment, she doesn't visit the forum very often (brinsley bunnies on the forum) so it might be better to contact her direct:D

Sending lots of healing vibes for the rabbit x

why??:) by the time bun goes "home" she would have recovered,,isnt that the question that the OP wants to know?? when will bunny be well and over this awful disease???:wave:

Because both the transmission routes and the length of infection have been hotly debated on RU in the past.

RU posters have different interpretations to each other on the published veterinary articles on transmission and infectiousness of rabbits showing myxi signs..

It can take at least 12 weeks for the bun from initial signs to being officially pronounced 'cured' depending on severity of case (my Viola Rose is still going 'ffffff' every now and again about 5 months after first contracting it). So the Op will have to make a decision about which stage they personally feel is 'safe'. There is little scientifically published on active infection time from first diagnosis - and what there is disagrees with each other!

(Personally I have had two myxi cases in the past - separated by several years. In neither case did I even separate from partners - and none of the other buns in the household o r the partners were affected at all. Both buns happily survived despite one being very severe).

Back