• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi Vac after Ilues

Amy104

Warren Veteran
Any idea how long I need to wait? Apollo only finished his meds on Sunday. He's back to 100% now. If its too early I don't want to drag him to the vets unnecessarily as it was the stress of his initial visit that caused it in the first place.

I think personally that I'd want to leave it about 2 weeks from now... Tough one to judge though.

Thats what I was thinking. Trouble is it's his myxi he needs as I don't think he had one at his previous home and if he was to catch it in the interim I'd never forgive myself.

All you can do is try to weigh up both risks, and try to minimise them where possible. There really is no easy answer.

Hopefully others will have advice/views...

Thanks Sarah. I have to take two other buns anyway so might take him along and see what they say. Its handling by strangers that causes him stress, the car doesn't bother him in the slightest so I wont lose anything I guess.

Does your vet not have a time limit? I have to wait two weeks after Vin's finished her meds to get her vaccinated, but she has EC so it's a different story. There's no point in carting him to the vets if it stresses him out so much, if they might say no.
Is he an outdoor bun? If yes, could you bring him inside just until you can get him done? It would give him a bit of extra protection.

There's no point in carting him to the vets if it stresses him out so much, if they might say no.
Is he an outdoor bun? If yes, could you bring him inside just until you can get him done? It would give him a bit of extra protection.

The trip to the vets isn't the problem, its the vet actually handling him that stresses him. I'm not sure he was handled much before he came to me. He's just starting to trust me so I can handle him fairly easily but he freaks out if strangers do.

The trip to the vets isn't the problem, its the vet actually handling him that stresses him. I'm not sure he was handled much before he came to me. He's just starting to trust me so I can handle him fairly easily but he freaks out if strangers do.

Does the vet have to handle him? Could you not pick him, turn him round etc and have the vet doing the bare minimum? My Vin hated being touched to begin with and I just held up the bits the vet wanted to see :)

Does the vet have to handle him? Could you not pick him, turn him round etc and have the vet doing the bare minimum? My Vin hated being touched to begin with and I just held up the bits the vet wanted to see

Good idea, I'll ask. :)

I would personally wait 2 weeks. If you get it done too soon his immune system may not have recovered enough for him to build up resistence to it so you could have a false sense of security for the next 6 months. Where as if you wait for 2 weeks you will know for definate that it will be OK :)

Thanks Liz. I didn't take him in the end and after the experience I had (see thread in rabbit chat) I'm glad I didn't, it would of set him back months.

Back