• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combined Myxo/VHD Vaccine ???

The paper is 10 years old so I'm guessing if anything was to come of it we would of heard something by now :?

As is states that there is horizontal transmission, does that mean we would only need to vaccinate one rabbit and the rest would pick it up from them?

The paper is 10 years old so I'm guessing if anything was to come of it we would of heard something by now :?

As is states that there is horizontal transmission, does that mean we would only need to vaccinate one rabbit and the rest would pick it up from them?

Think of the money we would all save only vacinating one bunny:D:lol::lol::lol:

I'd never use it even if it were available. It's enough stress on a bunny's system with vaccinations 2 weeks apart, let alone a combined one.

Yeah doesnt sound like it went anywhere.... and no idea how you can vaccinate horizontally????

I can see how it might be passed down from one generation to the next but with only the abstract to go on it is hard to see how bunnies could "infect" each other with the vaccine.

It says it was looking to use it for the wild population which I am guessing is why it didn't go anywhere as why would anyone fund something that would cause a complete over population of wild rabbits. They would end up having to be culled anyway if they had no disease to control them :(

I wonder how far they got with it :?

It definately seems to be geared towards the wild population rather than pet rabbits. I see the horzontal transmission can take place with fleas:?

Its a shame we can't see more than the abstract.

I still don't see why they would want to stop wild rabbit numbers from being controlled, although I am the first to say myxi is not the best way to do this. But if you take myxi and VHD from the wild population surely people are going to have to introduce other methods of controlling the wild rabbit population or it is going to explode and cause all sorts of problems to the natural order of things :?

I can probably get the full article at uni tomorrow, if someone reminds me! :oops: :lol::lol::lol: happy to email it around to anyone interested.

That would be good :), while you are there see if you can see an article on the reason for not giving myxi to pregnant buns, I am sure it wouldn't take you long to find ;) :lol::lol:

That would be good :), while you are there see if you can see an article on the reason for not giving myxi to pregnant buns, I am sure it wouldn't take you long to find ;) :lol::lol:

Is it because the nobivac myxo contains live vaccine and its never a good idea to give a live vaccine to anything pregnant.I also noted that "The vaccine virus may spread to susceptible in-contact rabbits."- quoted from the vaccine literature,does that mean that, say you have several bunnies, they should all be vaccinated at the same time for fear of a non vaccinated bunny contracting myxi from a vaccinated one??:?

I have heard of the combined vaccine. I read that it was available in continental Europe. I think the reference was the BSAVA manual of rabbit medicine and surgery 2nd edition. I don't have the book though so can't check.
They only vaccinate wild rabbits in countries like Spain where rabbits are a native species and are important for their ecosystems. Myxi and VHD have caused a decline in the wild populations there and they are trying to increase their numbers again.
The vaccine used in this country contains the Shope Fibroma virus so won't cause myxi if it is transmitted to other rabbits.

They only vaccinate wild rabbits in countries like Spain where rabbits are a native species and are important for their ecosystems. Myxi and VHD have caused a decline in the wild populations there and they are trying to increase their numbers again.

That makes more sense then as the research was carried out in spain, but I couldn't see a use for it in this country or some others where they are considered a prolific pest

I wonder how far they got with it :?

It definately seems to be geared towards the wild population rather than pet rabbits. I see the horzontal transmission can take place with fleas:?

Its a shame we can't see more than the abstract.

I still don't see why they would want to stop wild rabbit numbers from being controlled, although I am the first to say myxi is not the best way to do this. But if you take myxi and VHD from the wild population surely people are going to have to introduce other methods of controlling the wild rabbit population or it is going to explode and cause all sorts of problems to the natural order of things :?

what is wrong with natural selection, in the wild a rabbit that survives and miltiplys means plenty of food for foxes, owls, bop,ferrets, polecats and badgers(?) or other predators then when the rabbit population declines due to being over hunted by the increase of predators(due to plentiful food) as the predators survive more they then have less food as have eaten more and decline due to not being enough food, thus keeping in balence.
i am very against teh myxi being brought in to the country to start with but i knwo its impossible to take back now. i think its disgusting that rabbtis in australia(even et ones) cannot be vaccinated against myxi) it is a horrible diseas which causes great suffering, having nursed a "only nodualr myxi" bun through i know how it can be god help those who get full blown. prehaps im wrong in thinknig nature usualy balences itself out,

edit not getting into a debate and abck to original q, i havent heard about double vaccine and wouldnt want to use it if it was as think buns systems are too delicate to deal with an overload of disease in a vaccination which is why we currently do them 2 weeks minimum apart!x

I don't agree with myxi being used as a control either as I stated in an earlier post, it is a dreadful disease.

I was stating it from a research point of view that there would probably not be funding int his country for something that would mean an animal that is considered a pest would be able to completely over populate. This would then lead to organised culls such as we have seen in the past with badgers and grey squirels :( I only meant it wouldn't make sense financially to put money into this vaccine in this country if it was meant for our wild population. Which is why we haven't heard anything about it in regards to it being used on pet rabbits :)

I wasn't saying in anyway that it is right that we control our wild rabbits with awful diseases

Back