• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hester (Snowdrop) We lost her

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
We have been concerned about Hester over the past week as she has started nest building and her stomach has started swelling :shock:

She had an ultrasound today and her uterus is full of fluid :? They don't think she is preganant but it can't be ruled out completely, other causes could be possible mucometra or some form of cancer :?

She is booked in for a neuter in 2 weeks just incase she is pregnant.

But I am so angry, she went up with 2 other buns that were having their myxi and I specifically said to only myxi her if they could find nothing wrong, but the :censored: vet myxi'd her today :shock:

Last edited:
Oh gosh, what a worry. I just saw your other thread about it and wondered if this was to do with Hester. :? :(

Good news is that Dexter has been seen by 2 vets and neither can find anything wrong with his neck, plus neither of the bunnies seem to be anywhere near as old as I was told :?

But the problem with that is that if Hester is OK neither of them really qualify to have a sanctuary space here :?

Hydro or mucometra arent too serious systemically so if its either of them she should be ok with the spey and recover well as she's otherwise fit and good condition
I didnt think much could be wrong with Dexter's neck/shoulders as he managed to jump the 2ft from the floor to the shelf in the wendyhouse repeatedly, up and down, without any form of step :shock: (my girls only do it with a step and kylo only does with a BIG step and food!)

I know i only had them a few days but i did wonder whether they really need to be santuary bunnies? :? Apart from being nervous and fat i couldnt find anything wrong with them :?

I've been in touch with Tash and she said she has had Dexter for 3 years and was told he was 3 to 4 years when she got him. I was going by their claws, as they look like the claws of fairly young bunnies, especially Hester.

Dexter had x-rays in the past and is supose to have muscle and nerve damage to his neck and possibly some joint issues, but you would never know it to look at him.

There isn't much chance of Hester being pregnant so we are probably looking at mucometra or hydrometra which as Vikki says is easy fixable. And given that she is having phantom pregnancies this seems the most likely explaination :) BUt knowing my luck it will probably be something more serious :roll:

It is sometimes so hard to gauge whether a rabbit should be a sanctuary bunny when you haven't seen them and can only go on what you have been told. And of course once they have travelled half way across the country you can't turn round and say you don't think you should take them as they are too healthy. We have had the same problem with Roxy, we thought she had multiple health problems and major mobility issues but at the moment is perfectly healthy. Now we have to completely rethink our accommodation as what we were going to house Roxy in is completely unsuitable for such a lively rabbit :?

Last edited:
Oh Liz, it must be so hard for you :(

I really hope its nothing too serious with Hester, this is again another example of why you should get your rabbits neutered.

Sending vibes for Hesters spay x one of my old buns had a pyometra, her uterus was HUGE she came through with no problems.

Hester is having her op tomorrow. She is so big and heavy today, I am having problems picking her up :(:(

I just hope my vet has the courtesy to ring me and let me know she is Ok afterwards :roll: I joked with Mum that I might get a call by Saturday morning if they remember:lol:

awww good luck Hester, hope it works out all A-ok. See, we shouldnt have joked that they are not sanctuary bunnies!

Back