• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question about my bunny's sneezing

tomswife29

Young Bun
My rabbit has been sneezing throughtout the day (for weeks now), and it seems to be more frequent at night. i'd say its happening a couple times an hour, and a little more at night. he has no discharge coming outhis nose, and everything else is normal. so i took him to my vet (who now must be a very rich woman considering all of the money ive been giving her the past 2 years) and she put him on baytril for 2 weeks. it didnt work, and now here is my problem. ive been through a lot with this place especially with my bun michelle who died of cancer recently. i have been charged up the you-know- what and have been told my others that they were taking advantage of me on some instances. The vet told me to bring him back and we will try another medicine. this will be another $100 visit (at least) and she said if that doesnt work i will just have to keep bringing him in and trying somthing else. she also said that the sneezing doestn always go away in bunnies and they may just have to love with it if the meds dont work, and that its not a big deal and wont shorten their lives. if anyone has any info. or experience with sneezing and what meds may work, or what i should do about this i would greatly appreicate it. Thank you and sorry for the novel!

-Heather and he sneezing bun tommy

Could be pasturella. Some buns have it and its just how they are.

One of ours has it. She sometimes sneezes loads, normally without discharge but its nothing major. She gets on great, bombs about the house, causing trouble. :lol:

She's done it since the day we got her at just a few months old. Shes been on baytril and biosolve in her food to break down the snot (which she does sometimes get).

It can mean their life isnt as long as a bunny without it but they dont seem to suffer any reduction in quality of life.

The only other thing to try is penecillin injections. Apparantly this is a very effective antibiotic for bunnies and if there is anything wrong it normally clears it up.

by the way, this my amazing tommy (I hope the pic shows up)

tommy2.jpg

oh the vet told me thatit wont shorten the bunby's life it is just something they have to love with...i did not know that now im freaking out!!!! i can not lose another baby!!! this is seriously one of the worst years of my life:(:(:(

this sounds like Bart who is on baytril, and hating it!

i have been bitten, jumped on, pooed on, scraped and scratched in his escapades to not have it!

apart from he has the odd bit of snot, but its not streaming out or green.

sigh

there are hell of a lot of snuffle buns about at the mo, my doc suffers from time to time and has to be treated with antibiotic hes also the only bun regualy worm too as hes had this twice now and mites bless him, and yet he lives fine with his wife, you wouldnt think hes poorly

high central heating isnt good for them, the air is too dry, and dust free hays helps

I wouldn't panic too much yet. I have had my little Peanut for 3 months, when we brought him home at 2 months old he was sneezing loads. I menioned it when I took him for his jabs and the vet wasn't worried at all and didn't give me anything for it. Peanut doesn't sneeze as much as he did but he still has sneezing fits where he'll so 3 or 4 in a row. I went to the vets with him the other day and again mentioned it but the vet checked him over and said he is fine.

He doesn't seem poorly at all and I think it might just be hair in his nostrils as he is moulting. As for why he sneezed so much when we brough him home i don't know but he got better without any medication.

I would keep an eye on your bun and if he develops any other symptoms take him back but you mght find he sneezing gets better with time.

Good luck :bunny:

My Lily has chronic snuffles, but copes beautifully.Shes better with me than where she was.Shes gained weight,eats like a horse,is a feisty little love....full of character and all the time she wants to keep going, I will help her!! Shes just been bonded with her brother!!!
There is life with snuffles....and baytril when its required!!!!

does anyone know the names of these other antibiotics(he has already been on baytril with no results). also i keep my heater on ALOT maybe that contributes.(ive only noticed the sneezing in the winter). does anyone know if kaytee timothy hay is dust free? i cant find anything about it on the bag. thank you for all your comments!!

maybe pm jacks jane as she know a lot about bunny meds or marie kubuick (sorry cant spell last name quite right) she is a vet who is rabbit savvy and forum member. x

Back