• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit boarding. Is this too much per night?

I think prices have gone up a lot recently.
I just looked at a boarding place near me and its 5 pounds a day per rabbit but 8.50 if a bonded pair, so seems about right.-sue:wave:

i think thats expensive but thats only because my local santuary had my bunny last year for 2 pound ish a night, and that for food and everything but i do always give extra anyway. i hope it hasnt shot up like your boarding has :)

I know your local to me Emma, and if its the bunnery your talking about then its well worth the price. My buns go there, Jo is fab with the bunnies. I wouldnt send my bunnies anywhere else tbh :) I pay £15 a night as mine are giants xXx

thans becky86 you have eased my mind and yes it is LOL, just wanted to check before i phoned and booked the place for easter hols

ferret boarding is well cheap in comparison.......:shock:

Must admit, if I go away which is rare, I get my mate in to look after every one.....and he lives here,electricity, water, food etc etc.....
I cant move my lot!!!

i think thats it all depends on who you trust to take care of them. i would never leave them with anyone but where i got bluebell from so what every they asked i would pay. it just so happens that there only a small santuary and dont charge much as they prefer to do everything by donations :lol:

That's the going rate for a good place.

:D

It does depend on where you are in the country and London/Down South rates do tend to be considerably higher than up north. We charge £5 a night for a bonded pair and that includes all food, hay, veg, bedding etc but it doesn't mean the care they receive is any less than one who charges more elsewhere.

It does depend on where you are in the country and London/Down South rates do tend to be considerably higher than up north. We charge £5 a night for a bonded pair and that includes all food, hay, veg, bedding etc but it doesn't mean the care they receive is any less than one who charges more elsewhere.

i agree with that. :D it was what i was trying to explain when i mention my santuary only charged two pound a night for one bunny last year. the care they give is excellent and i wouldnt take them anywhere else:D

oh well all booked in. we are in walsall so its very hard to find good accodamtion round here. i have good neighbours but dont like to ask them as they are both over 60 ish and our garden is very muddy and on a slope:D:D:D:D

:wave:In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, the organisations that provide bunny boarding should charge the commercial rate for the services they provide.

If sanctuaries decide to charge less then they are, of course, free to make that decision. However, they might be losing out on a valuable source of revenue that they could use for the sanctuary that they would have to make up in other ways.

I believe that some of the rescues also provide boarding facilities if they have spaces and are not full to bursting with rescue buns. Perhaps some of these RU members could comment on whether it's a valuable source of income for them.

I assume that people who provide cat and dog boarding charge commercial rates.

As I said, only an opinion, not a comment on the people who provide this valuable service.

Lynne, :wave: can you accommodate Piggies inside for the winter at your place?

:wave:In my opinion, and it is only an opinion, the organisations that provide bunny boarding should charge the commercial rate for the services they provide.

If sanctuaries decide to charge less then they are, of course, free to make that decision. However, they might be losing out on a valuable source of revenue that they could use for the sanctuary that they would have to make up in other ways.

I believe that some of the rescues also provide boarding facilities if they have spaces and are not full to bursting with rescue buns. Perhaps some of these RU members could comment on whether it's a valuable source of income for them.

I assume that people who provide cat and dog boarding charge commercial rates.

As I said, only an opinion, not a comment on the people who provide this valuable service.

You've got a very good point there. I charge less than most places, for several reasons, 1. because I can only take in piggies and the smaller rabbits and 2. having a boarder here is not much more work than my own lots.

For me personally I'd rather know that a set of bunnies that might have been left alone if the owners had been charged more are getting looked after with me.

Mine go over to Sue at Southampton Rabbit Rescue but I can't remember what the daily rate is :oops:

You've got a very good point there. I charge less than most places, for several reasons, 1. because I can only take in piggies and the smaller rabbits and 2. having a boarder here is not much more work than my own lots.

For me personally I'd rather know that a set of bunnies that might have been left alone if the owners had been charged more are getting looked after with me.

Mine go over to Sue at Southampton Rabbit Rescue but I can't remember what the daily rate is :oops:

I've just taken a look at the website. It's £5/day/hutch.

I think that the penultimate paragraph of your post is the key. Knowing that a set of bunnies are looked after rather than left alone.

We are relatively new rabbiteers and have been amazed how helpful and kind the people on RU are.

I don't think many hotels would provide cheap rooms because they would like to know people are not outside in the cold. They certainly wouldn't take on one more guest cheaply because its not much more work than the others. (Maybe not a good analogy).

Most would seek to charge at or near the maximum that the market will bear. Unfortunately for rabbits, owners often have the "dump" option.

I know your local to me Emma, and if its the bunnery your talking about then its well worth the price. My buns go there, Jo is fab with the bunnies. I wouldnt send my bunnies anywhere else tbh :) I pay £15 a night as mine are giants xXx

Another VERY satisfied Bunnery Cannock customer here. I have 7 buns and wouldn't let them go anywhere else :) x

Absolutely true. Most things seem to cost more down south.

There are places local to us here that only charge about £3 per pair and whilst you could argue that it they do it for the pleasure, I'd suggest that it does actually cost more than that for it to be viable. You've got to factor in feed costs (veg getting more and more expensive), hay, quality bedding, fuel costs for disposing of waste, replacing toys/litter trays when past their best, cleaning materials, repair and maintanence costs when buns have gnawed your accommodation :lol:, weather proofing, and of course insurance. Not to mention the time spent caring for the rabbits.

I used to ask £5 for each night, but have realised that there is very little per donation that actually makes it towards the care of the fosters here - my main reason for doing it. Now I ask a bit more.

Back