• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Causes of sore hocks?

BevBunny

Mama Doe
My little girlie bun Lavender has been suffering with her hocks recently, its since we changed her housing but I think that may just be coincidence. She used to spend the day in a large dog crate (news papers on the floor, wooden shelf and litter tray) with her friend Charlie, and the evenings out in the living room. Now she has a large section of the living room (8ft square, plus dog crate) which was carpeted but for the last several months the carpet has been covered in fleece as I had (perhaps wrongly) assumed the carpet was causing her sore hocks. I've also noticed she kinda sits odd sometimes, and sticks her back feet forwards more than I'd expect.

So, now I'm investigating other causes, been reading around on the internet and the main causes cited seem to be:
- overweight (no, if anything she's v slightly underweight)
- wire based cages (obviously not relevant here!)
- dirty cages (nope, litter tray cleaned daily, area vacuumed regularly and blankets all changes weekly or immediately if any 'accidents' occur, which they don't)
- long nails (nope, hers are clipped v regularly)
- arthritis in the spine (probably not, I discussed this with the vet, and we put her on metacam to see if it made a difference, did it for 6 weeks or so, no difference at all)
- hips (the vet felt her hips and said he couldnt' feel anything out of the ordinary, but couldn't be sure)

She's obviously not in pain as she binkies all over the place. Her one foot bled today so we're off back to the vets again, but anyone got any ideas?

How about over grooming cos she is sometimes v v vigorous with her feet licking!?

I would suggest an Xray of her spine/hips.
Also, is the hock swollen at all ?

The other possibility is a problem with the tendons in the hock. So the Vet would need to carefully assess her gait and how she positions the plantar area of her foot as she sits/hops etc.

I have not used the 'teabag treatment' myself :)

Finally, ask the Vet to check her ears. If she has lots of gunk in the ear on the same side as the sore hock that could be a pointer towards the fact she is less agile with that leg (so cant scratch her ear on that side). Conversely if the ear on the opposite side to the sore hock is full of gunk that would point towards the possibility that she is taking less weight on that leg (causing a sore hock on the opposite leg) due to a problem in that leg (the non sore hock one!)

Hope that last bit makes sense :?

could she be moved to grass could it be the ahrsh carpet causing the probs? a deep layer of hay may help, what breed is she? i know giants adn rexes are more prone to it than other bunnies. i am sure that raven rex used to post about a creame that helped...i think it was flamazine? but check with the vets or previosu posts iv not had a bun with sore hocks(well not to the extent of bleeding) and havent personally treid the creame. x

Back