• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Liquid Panacur: shelf-life and dosage question

applebed

Alpha Buck
Hello, excuse the reasoning in this thread, as I am posting at 5am!

I've just grabbed some info from another thread:
sooz said:
hilary said:
i was looking on vets uk but couldnt find the liquid panacur- where do you buy it from
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?mai...e25e4b5ecb8a9a

Dose rate is 0.2ml per kg for the 10% oral solution.

I was wondering which is more suitable for me with only two small buns, the 10% or 2.5% suspension? Is there a particular reason people go with the 10%? On the face of it the 2.5% suspension is cheaper as a unit but more expensive in terms of how much active ingredient you get. However, the dosage of the 10% is really small so the deciding factor is how long it keeps, because I wouldn't like to spend more on the stronger stuff to find most of it goes unused. The 10% would contain five 28 day courses for my buns but I have read:

dustyrabbit said:
It is no longer recommended to Panacur a rabbit routinely 4 times a year as it once was.

Now it is recommended, for the control/prevention of EC, to worm once for 28 days, paying particular attention to cleaning on days 21 and 28. You would do this to a new rabbit, to all your rabbits and the new one if you acquire a new rabbit and to all your rabbits if they go holiday boarding and therefore share grazing space/use boarders hutches etc. Other than that you only need to do it if the bun shows signs of active EC.
The buns have no signs of active EC and I only boarded them twice last year, so if it lasts less than a few months once opened two separate bottles of 2.5% would still cost less than one 10%, and five courses would need to last two and a half years to be used up entirely?

How long does Panacur liquid last, once opened, and is there a special reason I haven't realised that people choose the 10% liquid?

Here's how I worked out the number of courses per bottle just in case someone wants to point out my reasoning is wrong:

With the 10% liquid, dose rate at 0.2ml per kg, 0.3 for Indie and 0.4 for Thor, 0.7ml altogether per day: 142 days at £14.53, 10p per day, £2.86 per 28 day course.

To get the same amount of fendendazole for the 2.5% the dose rate would be 0.8ml per kg, which would be 1.2 ml for Indie and 1.6ml for Thor per day.
That's 2.8ml altogether per day which allows for 35 days at £6.86, 19p per day, £5.28 per 28 day course.

Last edited:
i only used the 10% one before as i found it cheaper it really doesnt matter which you use as long as it is for 28days at the correct dosage per weight of bunny. i think many people have multiple bunnys(eg i have four) and so the larger amount works out cheaper but depenidng on how mnay bunnys you have will depend on which you use, i have only ever done mine twice one when arthur arrived and once when coco arrived, i didnt do it when kitty arrived as she had come from a rescue and had been done i believe. x

Now it's a more civilised time I'd like to pose the question more sanely...

How long does it keep? I only have the two buns, so shall I just get the 2.5% one?

Back