• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Garden Pond

KarinB

Warren Scout
Our two buns have the run of the garden (under supervision) and we have decided to build a pond in our garden. They are dwarf buns and tend to potter as opposed to running/playing.

Has anyone else ever done this? Are there any precautions we should take, any advice (don't tell me not to build it).

How big a pond are you thinking of? If it's smallish and you are worried about them falling in then you could put a grill over it. Otherwise I would just go for gradually sloping sides so if they get a paw wet they won't suddenly be in two foot of water. That's all good for other wildlife like hedgehogs that can fall in steep sided ponds and get stuck. You'll probably need to go for a liner rather than preformed shape so you can get a nice gentle slope.

If it's a ground level one then you will need to put some sort of fencing around it, my parents have a ground level pond and one of my rabbits from when I was younger fell in it (but mum rescued her!) My nan's dog also fell in it due to it being covered in duckweed! I have a pond in my garden now that is raised 2ft off the ground - I've even had to fence that off as one of my rabbits jumped up into it last summer. In my experience when it comes to ponds rabbits are just plain stupid!!

We have a large pond....we dug and built round so its high...we sit on it in the summer.The dug bit is in the middle so the fish can go to the bottom in winter....we have a netting frame over it too,which we can prop up...it stops the cat and herons....

Back