• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dirty Rabbit/rabbit friend?

emilyyy

New Kit
Hello

Since I first got my rabbit about three years ago he has had an ... intollerance shall we say to greens. In small quantities its fine but if he has too much or goes out in his run for the day his droppings are more runnyish and he gets a VERY dirty bottom in a short space of time. So everytime he goes out in his run for the day we spend a long time trying to clean it up. In summer its worse and i'm super parnoid about fly strike etc ...... Does anyone know anything I can do any advice on cleaning him up???

ALSO I don't think its really suitable for this section but its quick. Since being on the site I feel that I want to get my rabbit a friend. He has been a lone bunny for 3 years and has been fine. But in summer he is out 24/7 and even though i see him put him in his run, let him run around the garden a bit bring him and everything. But in winter he comes in and lives in an indoor cage while i'm at school and comes out for runs and cuddles and everything when I get home. I just feel like he may be lonely but I'm not sure if his indoor cage is big enough. Its average size. He has room for his litter tray food water and room for him to lie flat out with quite a bit of room to spare. What does everyone else think??

:wave: Hi I would first of all get rid of the 'runny' poo's by stopping the greens you are feeding for a couple of days and increasing the hay he has. You can try introducing a handful of herbs like basil and dill or spring greens or spinach washed, every other day till his digestive system is working properly. Lots of hay is the trick to get his tummy right though, have a look on here at the https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hay...6+Herbs.36/?osCsid=cnljvejhqcsmnb3j07jfmhk6s5 they have lots of yummy hay like Oat hay etc which is great, or dried dandelion. You may need to get him some Fibreplex from the vets or local pet shop and follow the instructions that could help. It's important he is drinking aswell, try offering water in a saucer - cooled boiled water from the kettle.

You are right to get this sorted now, the flies are out already but, come summer this will be dangerous for your bunny - what pellets is he on? You may need to review/change this - apparently they can cause tummy upsets in some, really ongoing problems like this should be vet checked if only to discuss dietry remedies.

You need to get him neutered and let his hormones settle for about a month before bonding him to a female, there are plenty of females about his age neutered and waiting for a nice forever home, you will need to be home checked and therefore your accomodation for them will need to meet the RWA guidelines have a look at them http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/animal_welfare_bill_lft.pdf :wave:

He is on a mostly hay diet with some excell pellets. He gets treats once or twice a week. We give his little buscuit treats or a veggie which doesnt upset him. Its just when we put him in the run. Its annoying because it must be uncomfortable for him and I hate making him sit there to be cleaned. But I can't leave him in when its warm and sunny outside. x
And he is already netured :)

He is on a mostly hay diet with some excell pellets. He gets treats once or twice a week. We give his little buscuit treats or a veggie which doesnt upset him. Its just when we put him in the run. Its annoying because it must be uncomfortable for him and I hate making him sit there to be cleaned. But I can't leave him in when its warm and sunny outside. x
And he is already netured :)

Do you put his litter tray in the run? You just need to make sure it's not his caecatrophs aswell, you know he is supposed to eat those don't you? It's always something to watch if they are leaving them a lot. Excel Pellets apparently can cause an upset balance in some bunnies, they are high in calcium aswell so maybe stick to low calcium herbs, veg. Basil and dill are a good combination - he should only need a good handful of pellets once a day and his bodysize in hay with a couple of sprigs of basil and few of dill. Do this for a couple of days and see if there is any improvement, leave off the treats completely till the poops are nice and firm and round and golden, you may need to think about trying another complete food, hopefully someone who has switched from Excel to another pellet/mix because of this issue will come along and advise you - if not do a search on diet, I believe Science Selective is a recommended one.

I agree. If I were you I'd try switching to Science Selective, or maybe Oxbow. Loads of buns can't tolerate Excel for some reason so it might just be that. I've never heard of a bun who gets the runs with grass - after all it is their natural diet!

As for getting him a friend, I can't support you more in that. I really, really think rabbits are happier with somebun to snuggle, play with and 'talk' to. It's sooo sweet watching 2 buns interact anyway. My Ginger and Pickles are washing each other as I write - it's the cutest thing!! :love:

Is he neutered? If not that's the first step. When his hormones are settled (usually about 2 months, post op) you can think about getting him a wifey. There's bound to be a gorgeous and suitable bun in a rescue near you. :D Many rescues will even take care of the bonding for you.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Oh ok. We are running low on food now. So ill take a look and start to introduce some other food! And its strange but he is a bit messed up bless him!

And he is netured and I really want to get him a friend. What rescue centres have rabbits and that you can take your bunny so they can meet someone do you know??

Back