PDA

View Full Version : Fruit/Veg/Greens

Rachel89
16-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I just wondered how much everyone gave there rabbits?

Seph looked horrified when I took there dinner out to them a min ago :shock:

Also do you give the same or vary?

I always vary day to day....I like them to have a nice suprise :oops: :lol:

LionheadLuver
16-03-2010, 11:12 PM
I feed mine none. :D:D

donnamt
16-03-2010, 11:13 PM
i used to feed huge amounts... now i feed less than 200g each morning

Jack's-Jane
16-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I feed mine dark leafy greens daily and carrot once/twice a week.

Becky86
16-03-2010, 11:15 PM

What? Your rabbits dont get any veg? :? Thats surely not normal?

My rabbits get veg daily. They have 5/6 different veggies/herbs and get fruit as a treat once/twice a week. I couldnt imagine not giving them any veg :(

hurricanhoney
16-03-2010, 11:17 PM
They have a mix of three to four different types a day. Usually a selection of herbs basil, parsley, coriander, thyme, dill, whichever I can get from the supermarket. Usually grow my own in the summer. Pak choy, cauliflower occasionally, carrot occassionally, some sort of cabbage.

poppymoon
16-03-2010, 11:24 PM
i give mine veg twice a day. not huge amounts each time as they're only ickle buns. i try to use the scale of 'no bigger than their head' for veg and as 'big as their body' for hay. cabbage greens of some sort, variety of herbs, fine green beans, occasional teaspoon size of broccoli.

i don't give fruit apart from maybe a nibble of banana if they're awake whilst i'm eating one:roll:. no other fruits or carrots tho (hope that doesn't make me sound cruel - they get 4 different sorts of hay:D).

VickiP
16-03-2010, 11:41 PM
:wave: In addition to lots of hay, a small handful of pellets/mix (half and half) 3 types everyday made up from Spring greens or spinach or watercress with basil, dill or parsley or brocolli. I vary it from day to day but, they have 3 of them in a combination depending on the calcium content eg, Springreens with basil and dill but, not with brocolli or spinach or parsley. Watercress with parsely and dill - I vary it so they get a balance with variety aswell. They have a good handful morning and night. Maybe a red grape or small teaspoon size of banana or teaspoon size of apple every day as a treat.

VickiP
16-03-2010, 11:42 PM

Why not?

coco1200
16-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Daily - Cabbage, Kale, Spring Greens, Coriander, Apple, Carrot and a Banana! Occasionally they get tomatoes and other herbs like mint, fenugreek and basil!

clutterydrawer
16-03-2010, 11:53 PM
I have an oval dish about the size of a piece of A5 paper and 2-3" deep, I usually fill that twice a day (to be shared between two buns) - it's all gone in 5 minutes and doesn't seem to do them any harm :)

I give 4 - 6 different things a week...supermarket veg in winter and wild plants/herbs/weeds etc in summer. leeetle bit of fruit once a week for a treat. I like to vary it to make sure they're not missing out on any nutrients...this is based on no science whatsoever, just my "feeling" about it.

it's always going to be dependent on the individual buns though, some are much less tolerant of veg than others.

VickiP
16-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Daily - Cabbage, Kale, Spring Greens, Coriander, Apple, Carrot and a Banana! Occasionally they get tomatoes and other herbs like mint, fenugreek and basil!

Oooh yes I have started to give a quarter of a tomatoe a couple of times a week they love it, have run out of fenugreek crunchies must get some more - I got Kale the other day instead of spring greens, is anyone else having a job finding them? Weird considering it's spring??

VickiP
16-03-2010, 11:56 PM
I have an oval dish about the size of a piece of A5 paper and 2-3" deep, I usually fill that twice a day (to be shared between two buns) - it's all gone in 5 minutes and doesn't seem to do them any harm :)

I give 4 - 6 different things a week...supermarket veg in winter and wild plants/herbs/weeds etc in summer. leeetle bit of fruit once a week for a treat. I like to vary it to make sure they're not missing out on any nutrients...this is based on no science whatsoever, just my "feeling" about it.

it's always going to be dependent on the individual buns though, some are much less tolerant of veg than others.

:thumb: this is true, some are bigger than others aswell :lol: Daily poop patrol is essential :lol:

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Ahhha thankies, I don't think I am over feeding them, going on peoples measurements and when I divide it into 3 it seems about right....it just looks lots as its allin one dish :thumb:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Ahhha thankies, I don't think I am over feeding them, going on peoples measurements and when I divide it into 3 it seems about right....it just looks lots as its allin one dish :thumb:

I think it depends on the bunnies aswell, mine aren't greedy at all and don't tend to overeat.

clutterydrawer
17-03-2010, 12:27 AM
I think it depends on the bunnies aswell, mine aren't greedy at all and don't tend to overeat.

Lucky you - the lady who boards mine always comments on what epic pigs they are, eating everything in sight - it's really embarrassing :lol:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Lucky you - the lady who boards mine always comments on what epic pigs they are, eating everything in sight - it's really embarrassing :lol:

:lol: They are almost taking my hand off when they see it coming though, but they always leave a bit for later, they are good they graze, so they eat a bit then some hay, then a few pellets then more hay then go back and do it all again :lol:

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:32 AM
Blue mobs me everytime I go in with theres, end up with a bunny trying to climb up my legs :shock:

There good, they all tend to have some first of all (there fave bits of course) then go back during the night instead of all in one go.

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Actually it will be interesting to see what happens when they are together, I wonder if that has an impact, it's like quick eat it all first, I can see me having to hand feed for a while, so I shouldn't be so cocky :roll:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Blue mobs me everytime I go in with theres, end up with a bunny trying to climb up my legs :shock:

There good, they all tend to have some first of all (there fave bits of course) then go back during the night instead of all in one go.

Yes my doe does the leg climbing thing and she has nipped me recently cause I ignored her :shock:

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Mine are quite good, the only thing I do it when they get some melon and pineapple as a treat I take them seperatley as otherwise Blue would eat all theres.
Honeys been the best weight shes ever been since being with the two boys.....struggled with it for ages but they seem to be getting her to eat more hay and veg :D

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Sometimes I give 5/6 per day :lol: They get whatever we eat. Not all people 5 a day things are okay for bunnies but a lot are so as long as you have a varied diet they do too. For example

Chicken stew equals: swede, parsnip, carrot, butternut squash
http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dinner4.jpg

Broccoli for dinner and fruit salad for desert equals: broccoli stalk, kiwi peel, carrot top, mango, pear, apple, melon rind
http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dinner2.jpg

They get odd bits during the day too, today that was the end of a banana/cucumber, apple core, grass/weeds.

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Mine are quite good, the only thing I do it when they get some melon and pineapple as a treat I take them seperatley as otherwise Blue would eat all theres.
Honeys been the best weight shes ever been since being with the two boys.....struggled with it for ages but they seem to be getting her to eat more hay and veg :D

Awww she is obviously happy thats lovely :love:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Sometimes I give 5/6 per day :lol: They get whatever we eat. Not all people 5 a day things are okay for bunnies but a lot are so as long as you have a varied diet they do too. For example

Chicken stew equals: swede, parsnip, carrot, butternut squash
http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dinner4.jpg

Broccoli for dinner and fruit salad for desert equals: broccoli stalk, kiwi peel, carrot top, mango, pear, apple, melon rind
http://www.therabbithouse.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/dinner2.jpg

They get odd bits during the day too, today that was the end of a banana/cucumber, apple core, grass/weeds.

Mine don't seem to like the swede or parsnip haven't tried some of the others though so might try them aswell - I know the carrot tops are a favorite, I always have a job finding them with tops on round here, it's weird, I know they are slightly more expensive but I can never find them, the ones in Asda have the majority of the carrot top chopped off and just a little stub left:(
Edited to add that's a more economical way of doing it I think, I spend a lot on herbs and veg just for the bunsters :oops: I buy more for us.

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Carrots store better with the tops off plus take up less room to pack so most supermarkets don't sell them. Try a farm shop or sow a packet of carrot seeds in a storage box or two and that should keep you in tops as you can just keep picking them and they'll regrow :)

Scamp won't eat carrot tops :roll:

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:47 AM
I have the same problem finding them, our local green grocers (sp) find it difficult to get them in too.
I tried growing some in a pot but it took too long and ended up with puny little things :lol:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I might give it a go and see - don't these supermarkets think about our bunnies :lol: Might have to write to them and see if they can send me all the carrot tops they chop off :lol:

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:52 AM
I might give it a go and see - don't these supermarkets think about our bunnies :lol: Might have to write to them and see if they can send me all the carrot tops they chop off :lol:

:lol: Good luck, Blue turned his nose up at my attempts :lol:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:55 AM
:lol: Good luck, Blue turned his nose up at my attempts :lol:

:lol: I'm always on the look out for them aswell but, I might try it and if no good then won't bother again but, you never know, I do have semi-green fingers, although haven't grown much from seeds so we shall see:)

Rachel89
17-03-2010, 12:56 AM
If your attempt is much better then mine please can you post my lot some :lol:

VickiP
17-03-2010, 12:58 AM
If your attempt is much better then mine please can you post my lot some :lol:

No way, there won't be that many and they probably take ages to grow :lol:

LionheadLuver
17-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Why not?

because they don't like it. they haven't had any for about two years now, so they aren't missing much and they are in fab condition.

Jay&Kirsty
17-03-2010, 09:05 AM
how can we get chewy 2 eat more hay??? he nibbles at it now and then but never has a good munch on it. and you know he's hungry at times because he pesters us and when we get up he runs after us specially into the kitchen and starts doing laps and binkies. . . . . . .but we want him to eat more hay!!!!!!

abbymarysmokey
17-03-2010, 10:43 AM
IMO variety isn't good for bunnies tums. Why risk tummy upsets by giving new kinds of veg? I only give the same 4 veg (spring greens, dark leaf lettuce, celery and carrots) every day...plus the occasional piece of apple. Each rabbit gets a handful of veg once a day.

Their digestive systems aren't really designed to cope with the types of veg developed for human consumption...many of which can give rabbits gas or are very high in calcium/oxalates...so IMO it's not a good idea to feed them in huge quantities.

donnamt
17-03-2010, 10:59 AM
IMO variety isn't good for bunnies tums. Why risk tummy upsets by giving new kinds of veg? I only give the same 4 veg (spring greens, dark leaf lettuce, celery and carrots) every day...plus the occasional piece of apple. Each rabbit gets a handful of veg once a day.

Their digestive systems aren't really designed to cope with the types of veg developed for human consumption...many of which can give rabbits gas or are very high in calcium/oxalates...so IMO it's not a good idea to feed them in huge quantities.

its taken me two years of stasis and recent blood tests to reach the same conclusion. thanks to the patience of Judy who has really helped me i realise it probably is me and my overfeeding of veg that has caused Alvins tummy issues... time will tell i guess.

i havent rotated veg since my vet told me to stick to high fibre veg rather than the what ever you can feed off a list :oops:. ive cut out carrots now and fruit is too off the menu apart from a very tiny amount of banana cunningly disguising any drugs i need to give including fibreplex.

the plate of veg this morning looked so tiny i wanted to cry but there was probably still too much... fingers crossed for finally finding a proper balance :D

ive also noticed they dont mind not having a huge variety anything that isnt hy is received with total excitement even if i find it boring :lol::lol:

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Because a wide range of different veg/plants helps cover all the different vitamins/minerals and trace elements. If a person only ate a couple of different types of veg them would end up short on all their nutritional requirements.

I also think the opposite regarding sensitive tummies, my rabbits are soo used to eating a range of foods I don't need to panic if they accidentally get something they shouldn't. Scamp broke into the veg rack and ate half a potato the other day, how many of you would panic? ;) Scamp's digestion didn't even hiccup. I've never seen any of Scamp's caecal poops, I see him ducking n chewing but he's never left a spare one (touch wood) same with Gypsy.

I'm 100% confident that if I go chuck Gypsy a handful of mix she will eat it with no consequences, the same if I pop in a handful of grass or pear peel. Even though she's had none of those for at least a few weeks.

I agree some fruit/veg isn't the most natural of options, it's just the more convenient one. You can do the same variety with natural plants and mine will get more of those over summer when there are more readily available. They eat all the bunny safe weeds too, even though they won't have had those since last year!

I know there are a few bunnies with very sensitive tummies and I think some of that is down to the wrong diet as babies or health issues. I would never deliberately bring a rabbit up with a restricted diet though, I think that just creates future problems. That's my view anyway :)

Angie65
17-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Mine get veg daily for brekkie - spinach & spring greens & brocolli are popular & they get carrots & pineapple once a week. I feed cabbage now - Looked like a poo massacre the first time:oops:, but they fine now they used to it:lol:The odd extra will be cherry tomatoes, red peppers, celery,melon, apple or raisins, but when I have extra as opposed to buying-for-the-buns so not a regular thing & only a small piece each:D.

In summer I pic dandelions & grass on days they don't get outside:D

RubyTed
17-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine have a huge variety of fruit, veg and herbs (yes....fruit!:shock:) None of them have had an upset tummy, and I think they have really strong stomachs from it.

Like Tamsin, I came into the room and found Oliver had fed them a raw jacket potato..there was a coin sized piece left! (I freaked a little bit.....:shock::shock::shock:....but their tummies didn't notice it.)

I think it's important to feed them a variety. I never see caceotrophs, and none are over/underweight. I think they're stronger for eating a wide range. :)

abbymarysmokey
17-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Because a wide range of different veg/plants helps cover all the different vitamins/minerals and trace elements. If a person only ate a couple of different types of veg them would end up short on all their nutritional requirements.

I'm not sure you can compare the digestive system of a rabbit with that of a human being...we are omnivorous and therefore designed to eat a huge variety of foods. Rabbits are designed to eat dry, low nutrient scrub vegetation like you see in the mediterranean (where rabbits originally come from)

Angie65
17-03-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure you can compare the digestive system of a rabbit with that of a human being...we are omnivorous and therefore designed to eat a huge variety of foods. Rabbits are designed to eat dry, low nutrient scrub vegetation like you see in the mediterranean (where rabbits originally come from)

You could argue that point with pellets too

abbymarysmokey
17-03-2010, 12:03 PM
You could argue that point with pellets too

Thats very true!

poppymoon
17-03-2010, 12:39 PM
just realised i haven't sown my carrots yet:shock: i grow them for the buns but don't bother spreading them out too thinly as eric only likes the green bits and the last twice essie has has a sliver of carrot, she's had a dodgy tum:?. sons disappointment when i asked him to pick some last year (he loves raw carrots) and the root bit was so puny:lol:

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Rabbits are designed to eat dry, low nutrient scrub vegetation like you see in the mediterranean (where rabbits originally come from)

But even within that there are a wide variety of different plants and grasses. A field might look like just grass at first glance but it a really rich variety of plant species in it. You just have to have a close look at a slightly uncared for lawn to get a glimpse of that. Sticking to a single variety of hay like 'timothy' is quite unnatural too.

Ideally I would feed a mix of grasses and rabbit safe 'weeds' but it's impractical to obtain a large enough reliable quantity of these, especially through winter, so human veggies are the substitute.

RubyTed
17-03-2010, 01:13 PM
But even within that there are a wide variety of different plants and grasses. A field might look like just grass at first glance but it a really rich variety of plant species in it. You just have to have a close look at a slightly uncared for lawn to get a glimpse of that. Sticking to a single variety of hay like 'timothy' is quite unnatural too.

Ideally I would feed a mix of grasses and rabbit safe 'weeds' but it's impractical to obtain a large enough reliable quantity of these, especially through winter, so human veggies are the substitute.

We get a proper meadow at my mum's if the grass isn't cut......which is often! :oops: I think it once got to waist height! Just imagine all the different plants in there! Must be bunny heaven!!

drpengie
17-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I give mine twice a day, but only small amounts. I vary what they have but it usually includes combinations of savoy cabbage, celery, tomatos, apples, pears, bananas, carrot, parsley corriander, brocolli, grapes and pineapple.

sacol4940
17-03-2010, 02:48 PM
My lot have a "head sized" amount per bun each night

They have 3 or 4 of the following:

Springs Greens
Savoy Cabbage
Celery
Carrots
Brocolli (Rainbow's fave! :D )
Basil
Parsley
Curly Kale (I dont feed this too often because of the calcium content)
Cauli leaves

Then they have the occasional tomato or some banana

I like to think that they prefer to have some variety with their veggies. I know I'd get very bored if someone fed me the same things all the time

Hessen
17-03-2010, 02:55 PM
A rich diet of carpet, cardboard box, expensive shoes, phone chargers and the occasional bacon sandwich.

kgattrell
17-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I stopped feeding mine veg as they are having runny bums, I'm not sure it was the veg cause they are still suffering with runny bums which I know isn't good but I don't know what else could be causing it.. #

Ellie's not to bad it's mostly Fudge and funnily enoough his half brother Yoshi also suffered from a dirty bum..

areia
17-03-2010, 05:00 PM
A rich diet of carpet, cardboard box, expensive shoes, phone chargers and the occasional bacon sandwich.

:lol::lol::lol:

I feed mine only whats seasonal, and what they could possiably nibble in the wild, i grow a varity of herbs which they all love, willow twigs from late spring to early winter, spring and summer involves more fruity treats as winter is just the odd apple, but they get more leafy green in the winter,

I do think its important to offer a fruit herb veg twigs to buns, buns life just as hay and musli mix/pellets i feel is very sad, granted a hugggge bowl stuffed full of say more than 5 veg i feel is a bit over the top and can be to much for delicate tums, but none at all :shock::(

frosty is only allowed leafy stuff though as we found fruits, to be to acidic for her cause her urine probs

*lily*
17-03-2010, 05:52 PM
Louie gets veg twice a day. Herbs, watercress, spinach :D

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I stopped feeding mine veg as they are having runny bums, I'm not sure it was the veg cause they are still suffering with runny bums which I know isn't good but I don't know what else could be causing it..

What brand dry food do you use? Dry food is really concentrated nutrition so that's often the problem food even if it's the one that is supposed to be specially aimed at bunnies :) I've heard people report problems with excel, if you use that you might want to try Supreme Science and see if that helps, quantity is important too, they need very little and too much can upset tummies. An egg cup or two a day is enough for a medium sized bun when they are having a range of veg and they don't need much more without.

coco1200
17-03-2010, 06:00 PM
mine do get ALOT of fruit and veg a day, mind you... its more like body sized for each bun (giants) even with their mix they have a dog bowl for it, and I fill that near enough the top :oops: They definitely need it though because they are VERY active buns and are not a single gram overweight!

batmobile
17-03-2010, 06:08 PM
I feed mine veg and pellets twice a day but half portions. As I have 9 bunnies in total, I do find it is costing me a fortune but they eat it all pretty much within the half hour and are all a good weight. They are pretty active though and I figure, if they eat it and there is nothing left over after an hour, they must want it. I would imagine it varies from bun to bun but I would say they need veg, pellets and hay (unlimited of the latter) to remain healthy. I believe it is the type of veg, even more so than quantity a lot of the time. And small portions of anything new. Mine let me know if they don't like something by throwing it to one side! :love:

Hanlou
17-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Jack gets his veggies at tea-time - pretty much an earthenware Rabbit Dish full. He's a 'eat it all at once' greedy bun' lol! ;)

I feed a variety but usually it's a combination of:

Coriander, Flat leaf parsley, Broccoli, Curly Kale, Savoy cabbage, Sweetheart cabbage, Carrot, Spring greens, Celery, Romaine Lettuce, Round Lettuce, Mixed Lettuce Leaves (never ever Iceburg though!), Cherry Tomatoes - though he's really not keen on these surprisingly - and the occasional bit of apple.

I probably feed other things I've forgotten about too.

Following advice on a couple of knowledgable Guinea Pig forums I feed them veggies twice a day - morning and evening - they still scoff their hay, eat their pellets and poo beautifully shaped and frequent poos. :p

Jack gets very excited at 'Veggie-time', bless him! He lurrrvvess his food altogether and eats tons of hay - never seen a caecotroph either - he eats them as they come and looks beautifully healthy.

ETA: One thing I never feed is Spinach or beetroot leaves as both are very high in Oxalates which bind calcium causing stones so I avoid these.

Becca
17-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Levi and piggies get.
Greens,parsley,mint,corriander,broccli,carrot,spin ach,baby corn,rocket,green pepper,apple,banana,pineapple,melon,grapes,strawbe rrys,blueberry.
Not all at once of course:D

batmobile
17-03-2010, 08:46 PM
How much would you say you spend on veg a week then? Mine is ridiculously high and I've tried cutting down how much they get, but then they are not getting enough. I do buy from supermarkets as am still trying to find a source for more but cheaper. I must spend about 40 a week with 9 buns... possibly more. It's crippling me! Also, I find Spring Greens go a lot further than kale or cabbage etc but can't find them for love nor money at the moment...

BB Mommy
17-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Mine have fresh food every morning. My pairs get a good handful of varied stuff between them, whilst the giants get a big handful each.

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Total veg budget this week: 14p (broccoli out of the reduced cabinet). Otherwise hey get our left overs :lol:

batmobile
17-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Maybe I am feeding them too much then? Or it's the fact that I buy it twice a week from Sainsbury's or similar.... My hubby has just said they eat us out of house and home. we went on Sat, I bought A LOT of veg and it's all gone... :cry:
It is for 9 bunnies though. Hmmmmmm, I don't know...

Tamsin
17-03-2010, 09:07 PM
I'm only feeding two, that's off three peoples veg rations.

Have you thought about growing some of your own veggies? Now the weather is warming up that's a good way to cut costs. Also if you have a market or farm shop near they'll often give you things like cauliflower/carrot leaves for free.

batmobile
17-03-2010, 09:13 PM
I am surrounded by farms and have asked farmers but they are very unreliable/ not that interested in feeding my bunnies so 'forget' to bring them to me etc. I have asked my local pub to keep back any cauli leaves but they haven't as yet.
My buns get a small bowl full twice a day (so basically a bowl each a day) Each bowl usually consists of a handful of kale, some herbs, a cabbage leaf, some spincah, a piece of carrot, a piece of apple and a piece of broccoli. And some extra bits. This is twice a day. I don't think it's a lot really but it is costing me a fortune. I do have land but nowhere to grow stuff at the moment. A veggie patch is in consideration but owing to all the wildies, we need to build a cage for the patch. And the run for my family of 4 cost 500 to build so I am too skint to build one yet. I will just have to carry on as I am and not have any new clothes for a while! :lol::lol:

bluebunny
17-03-2010, 09:39 PM
i used to feed huge amounts... now i feed less than 200g each morning

When i saw your vids a while ago,i thought you fed loads:oops::oops: I didnt say anything though i just thought my poor buns get hardly anything compared to yours:lol:

donnamt
17-03-2010, 09:41 PM
When i saw your vids a while ago,i thought you fed loads:oops::oops: I didnt say anything though i just thought my poor buns get hardly anything compared to yours:lol:

my parents fault... huge portions of food as a kid. i cant bear real portions... i did build up to that amount over a few months tho and i thought they were doing well on it too :oops::oops:

bluebunny
17-03-2010, 09:43 PM
my parents fault... huge portions of food as a kid. i cant bear real portions... i did build up to that amount over a few months tho and i thought they were doing well on it too :oops::oops:

No way i could afford to feed those amounts with my lot,Lyric alone eats as much as the outdoor buns:lol: Then theres 8 piggies too

kgattrell
18-03-2010, 04:35 PM
What brand dry food do you use? Dry food is really concentrated nutrition so that's often the problem food even if it's the one that is supposed to be specially aimed at bunnies :) I've heard people report problems with excel, if you use that you might want to try Supreme Science and see if that helps, quantity is important too, they need very little and too much can upset tummies. An egg cup or two a day is enough for a medium sized bun when they are having a range of veg and they don't need much more without.

I use Excel Junior pellets they don't have a lot of them they prefer to eat the alfa bales, herbal delight and the woodland salad feast that I give them. As well as lots of different hay, timothy hay, herbage, forage and harvest hay. I'll try the Supreme Science one gradulally add pellets over a few days right?

Tamsin
18-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Excel Junior is the highest protein, and Alfalfa is also higher in protein than grass hay so it's probably giving them just a little too much protein altogether.

Yes, mix the old and new pellets together gradually over a week of so with a little more of the new each day.

kgattrell
19-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks for the reply Tasmin, it's much appreciated. Is this one alright for them they are now about 9 / 10 months old

Science Selective Rabbit

With 19% Alfalfa-based fibre, this diet contains the ideal fibre levels and types in the correct proportions to aid gut mobility and help with healthy teeth. This food is also low in sugar to avoid obesity. It also includes linseed an excellent source of Omega 3 and 6.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Food.10/View+Foods+by+Brand.132/Science+Selective.135/Science+Selective+Rabbit+:+10kg.40.html

http://www.gardencentre.co.uk/images/large/21705.jpg

Should I start re-introducing veg again too, or wait and see if the pellets make a change first?

Coineanach
19-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I'd leave the pellets for a while - you don't want to be introducing too many things at once with bunnies delicate tummies!

My Vin gets unlimited excel adult pellets - she takes about a week to eat a bowl as she loves her hay. She gets leafy greens every night and a little bit of something extra, from carrot, basil, cucumber, round lettuce, apple, kale, spinach, whatever else I happen to have in the fridge. Banana is a treat food. However, my normal feeding rules have gone oot the windae as I'm trying to get her to gain weight.

If you keep an eye out in the supermarket the outer leaves from veg (which people don't eat anyway) can fall off into the trays. I offer to pay for it but the minute you mention it's for a rabbit people melt and give it for free ;)

thumps_
19-03-2010, 12:34 PM
What a fascinating thread!!

I feel that if a bun is thriving, in good condition, with good tooth wear, & no gut/urinary/weight issues, carry on, as a very broad rule of thumb.[Remembering that they are obligate herbivours, & some plants are potentially poisonous]

Should a bun start to show signs of any issues, then the diet needs to be considered seriously.
Perhaps the only thing bunny guts have in common with human guts is great individual variation in what they can tolerate.

Dare I suggest that it's not only what goes in, but what comes out at the other end, we need to watch?

sazzy
19-03-2010, 01:05 PM
I've found this thread really interesting i've never fed mine fruit apart from roger he's had banana as he will eat anything i think i might start trying them on fruit is there any fruit they can't have. I have in at the moment apples banana oranges kiwi fruit and pears

Grin
19-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I have only just printed a list off from the feeding section and didnt realise spinach should only be had in moderation. I was also told that lettuce is bad for them and gives them bad bellies. I'm looking forawrd to (slowly) introucing many new foods into Lucky's diet. Before he came to us he was never given fresh - just wilkco's dry stuff. He has lots of hay, a handful of pellets and a bowl of fresh nibbles each day (i vary it a lot) his fave is brocolli and he's not keen on fruit.

He did a stealth ninja bunny impression the other day and ripped a rusk out of my daughters hand in a flash! I got it off him but we have to be careful when eating toast. I make sure he has his bowl when we are eating. :lol:

sazzy
19-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I just took some banana out to roger so thought i would see if bella wanted any i said to her do you want some banana she sniffed it and shook her head :roll::lol: i said go on try it and put it in her bowl she did a lap of her hutch then got stuck in i said i thought you said you didn't want it :lol:

Tamsin
19-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Yes, that's the right supreme science. At 9 months old they should have adult pellets :) I would switch the food or reintroduce the veg, don't do everything at once. When you're feeding veg too they probably only need half of the pellets recommended on the packet.

Candiflare
19-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Mine have a mix of about four of the following each night: spring greens, tendersteam brocolli, rocket, spinach, chicory, parsley, basil, coriander, carrot tops, watercress. Then they have about quarter of a carrot each and a little piece of apple.

They are good little buns though, they often mix their hay in with it when they eat it. So you see a bit of parsley disappearing but along with it are a few strands of hay too!

zoe6660
19-03-2010, 04:23 PM
mine will have pellets one day and greens the next but they get fed twice a day so they do have loads of pellets and greens they love them and they have pear, apple, carrot, grass, cabbage, mixed greens, and it is different but i alway got carrots for them :D

kitschkitty
19-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Deej has his veg and pellets at 6.30pm every day and often starts trying to get in the kitchen an hour before that!

He has greens everyday and normally broccoli and celery too. Then dependant on what we have maybe 1, 2 or 3 of the following: radish, carrot, cucumber, cauliflower, peppers, tomato, herbs, occasionally sprouts, cabbage, watercress or other dark greens.

He only gets fruit occasionally as a treat and normally just a bit of what I'm having.