• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fruit/Veg/Greens

Rachel89

Mama Doe
I just wondered how much everyone gave there rabbits?

Seph looked horrified when I took there dinner out to them a min ago :shock:

Also do you give the same or vary?

I always vary day to day....I like them to have a nice suprise :oops: :lol:

They have a mix of three to four different types a day. Usually a selection of herbs basil, parsley, coriander, thyme, dill, whichever I can get from the supermarket. Usually grow my own in the summer. Pak choy, cauliflower occasionally, carrot occassionally, some sort of cabbage.

i give mine veg twice a day. not huge amounts each time as they're only ickle buns. i try to use the scale of 'no bigger than their head' for veg and as 'big as their body' for hay. cabbage greens of some sort, variety of herbs, fine green beans, occasional teaspoon size of broccoli.

i don't give fruit apart from maybe a nibble of banana if they're awake whilst i'm eating one:roll:. no other fruits or carrots tho (hope that doesn't make me sound cruel - they get 4 different sorts of hay:D).

:wave: In addition to lots of hay, a small handful of pellets/mix (half and half) 3 types everyday made up from Spring greens or spinach or watercress with basil, dill or parsley or brocolli. I vary it from day to day but, they have 3 of them in a combination depending on the calcium content eg, Springreens with basil and dill but, not with brocolli or spinach or parsley. Watercress with parsely and dill - I vary it so they get a balance with variety aswell. They have a good handful morning and night. Maybe a red grape or small teaspoon size of banana or teaspoon size of apple every day as a treat.

Daily - Cabbage, Kale, Spring Greens, Coriander, Apple, Carrot and a Banana! Occasionally they get tomatoes and other herbs like mint, fenugreek and basil!

I have an oval dish about the size of a piece of A5 paper and 2-3" deep, I usually fill that twice a day (to be shared between two buns) - it's all gone in 5 minutes and doesn't seem to do them any harm :)

I give 4 - 6 different things a week...supermarket veg in winter and wild plants/herbs/weeds etc in summer. leeetle bit of fruit once a week for a treat. I like to vary it to make sure they're not missing out on any nutrients...this is based on no science whatsoever, just my "feeling" about it.

it's always going to be dependent on the individual buns though, some are much less tolerant of veg than others.

Daily - Cabbage, Kale, Spring Greens, Coriander, Apple, Carrot and a Banana! Occasionally they get tomatoes and other herbs like mint, fenugreek and basil!

Oooh yes I have started to give a quarter of a tomatoe a couple of times a week they love it, have run out of fenugreek crunchies must get some more - I got Kale the other day instead of spring greens, is anyone else having a job finding them? Weird considering it's spring??

I have an oval dish about the size of a piece of A5 paper and 2-3" deep, I usually fill that twice a day (to be shared between two buns) - it's all gone in 5 minutes and doesn't seem to do them any harm :)

I give 4 - 6 different things a week...supermarket veg in winter and wild plants/herbs/weeds etc in summer. leeetle bit of fruit once a week for a treat. I like to vary it to make sure they're not missing out on any nutrients...this is based on no science whatsoever, just my "feeling" about it.

it's always going to be dependent on the individual buns though, some are much less tolerant of veg than others.[/QUOTE]

:thumb: this is true, some are bigger than others aswell :lol: Daily poop patrol is essential :lol:

Ahhha thankies, I don't think I am over feeding them, going on peoples measurements and when I divide it into 3 it seems about right....it just looks lots as its allin one dish :thumb:

Ahhha thankies, I don't think I am over feeding them, going on peoples measurements and when I divide it into 3 it seems about right....it just looks lots as its allin one dish :thumb:

I think it depends on the bunnies aswell, mine aren't greedy at all and don't tend to overeat.

Lucky you - the lady who boards mine always comments on what epic pigs they are, eating everything in sight - it's really embarrassing :lol:

:lol: They are almost taking my hand off when they see it coming though, but they always leave a bit for later, they are good they graze, so they eat a bit then some hay, then a few pellets then more hay then go back and do it all again :lol:

Blue mobs me everytime I go in with theres, end up with a bunny trying to climb up my legs :shock:

There good, they all tend to have some first of all (there fave bits of course) then go back during the night instead of all in one go.

Actually it will be interesting to see what happens when they are together, I wonder if that has an impact, it's like quick eat it all first, I can see me having to hand feed for a while, so I shouldn't be so cocky :roll:

Blue mobs me everytime I go in with theres, end up with a bunny trying to climb up my legs :shock:

There good, they all tend to have some first of all (there fave bits of course) then go back during the night instead of all in one go.

Yes my doe does the leg climbing thing and she has nipped me recently cause I ignored her :shock:

Back