• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving outdoors?

pooks

Warren Scout
My two house buns may be moving outside. We have recently moved house and they now have a pen smaller that what they are used to (was approx 5x5ft, now 5x2.5ft) They are allowed out of the pen for 45 mins in the morning and around 5 hours in the afternoon/evening but i'm worried they do not have enough space. Also, they are chewing the doors and dining table. This was never a problem before as they were only previously allowed in the (large) kitchen (as we lived with family before) but now they have access to all of downstairs we catch them chewing stuff. Now i know they are rabbits and thats what they do, but we're a young couple who have saved really hard to buy our house and it's contents and its so frustrating when they are chewing it. We provide them with loads of toys and hay so don't know what else to do? We thought that if we provided them with a shed and a run attached they would have loads more space all of the time. They would not chew our house and we would also prevent any foreign bodies (charlie ate a small amount of a mat on friday and was really ill, i was really worried but he's fine now).

What does everyone think?
I found a 6x4ft shed from B&Q which we could deck out with shelving etc to make them a fab home. But a part of me feels guilty putting them outdoors. Obviously i would move them outside gradually as the weather warms up. The bunnies are 8 months and a year old.

Sounds like a fab set up :D I would attach a run to the shed if you have the money and space - I find mine spend more time in the run than the shed even when its raining :roll:

As you said I would give it a few weeks yet as its still a bit chilly at dawn. Do you have an outdoor run they could go out in for a bit each day? It would help acclimatise (sp?) them and be something new to keep them occupied.

Short term do your buns have lots of toys and things to chew? Doesnt have to be expensive cardboard boxes or toilet rolls can be good and might help distract them from your furniture

this thread might be worth a read
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=219857

Back