• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Neede

Sligeach

Young Bun
Hi.. my rabbit Henrik is usually always running around having fun. Tonight when got home from work was no different, I fed him his usual food,he ate a little brocolli and went straight to his bed and has been lying down there since, I have tried to entice him out to play but he won't move except to change direction but is lying flat down as he usually does when relaxing only he doesn't seem be acting normal. I sat stroking him which he loves but he seems uncomfortable, he seems to have a poo stuck and when I try to touch that area he jumps and changes direction. Any advice on what I can do to help him? Sorry if this is already posted but I am not sure what to do

Hi
have you fed him brocoli before? Is he pooing and weeing the normal amount? Has he eaten a normal amount today? Sorry for all of the questions!

Yes he loves brocolli... it is his favourite. He always eats that first before his other veg but ate it and went to his bed. He hasn't left the bed for about half hour... I took him out and he went straight back there.

Poo stuck where? In his fur? Are you sure it's poo, not cecotropes? Poo is not usually wet enough to stick to fur, but cecotropes are. Either way, this isn't a great sign - either he's not eating his cecotropes, or his poo is mushy - but it's still good to know which it is.

What do you mean he jumps when you touch the area? - do you mean when you try to remove the poo (thus pulling on his fur), or just touching the area at all (i.e. the area is sensitive and possibly signalling an injury or other centralized problem. Are there other signs of sensitivity?)?

Did he eat all of his breakfast and regular amounts of hay today? Has he pooped and peed normally? Has he consumed the regular amount of water? This is important to consider because, unlike other animals, rabbits can't fast - they can't safely skip a meal or two when they're not feeling well. If your rabbit stops eating, for whatever reason, he will go into ileus, which is a life-threatening situation.

Based on your description, I suspect gastric distress. Hopefully he is just a gassy bunny. The remedies for gas are stomach massage and simethicone, neither of which can hurt your bunny either way, so I would go ahead with them if I were you.

Simethicone: simethicone in a liquid suspension (often sold at pharmacies for babies), 20 mg per dose (read the label to find out how many mg/mL), administer up to 3 doses no less than 1 hour apart - should see improvement by second dose

If your bunny doesn't improve soon, he will need immediate veterinary care.

Hi thanks for all your posts and apologies for not getting back sooner but after about a half hour or little more he sat up had a huge yawn and was back to his old self again.... was not a nice feeling not being able to help him but he seems fine since thank God

Hi thanks for all your posts and apologies for not getting back sooner but after about a half hour or little more he sat up had a huge yawn and was back to his old self again.... was not a nice feeling not being able to help him but he seems fine since thank God

My two also panic the life out of me at times with being 'out of sorts' then getting up and running around. :D im glad everything is ok!!

Back