• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long, stick like lump on bottom lip

anaveragemuppet

Wise Old Thumper
My new bunny, Zeke, has a longish, stick like lump under his bottom lip. anyone seen this before? i dont think its hurting or aggrivating him, but hes 10weeks old (i only got him today as they were sending him back to the breeder as he wasnt fit for sale because of his funny lip) and just wonder if he needs treatment for it?

could you post a picture of it? is it scabby and does bun have any lumps, bumps or scabs elsewhere at all?

sorry, no pics yet as we only got him today. the growth is dark browny/reddy, you cant see through it. it does look like a scab, but its not a scab. its hard to touch, feels like you could twist it off (i wont! :shock:) if syphilis, would he need to be pts? is he healthy?

sorry, no pics yet as we only got him today. the growth is dark browny/reddy, you cant see through it. it does look like a scab, but its not a scab. its hard to touch, feels like you could twist it off (i wont! :shock:) if syphilis, would he need to be pts? is he healthy?

no:D IF a vet diagnoses syphillis it can be treated by antibiotic injections - you'll find plenty of info and threads on vent disease on the forum. its (more than likely) what eric was suffering with when he came to live with me (passed on at birth i believe from an infected mummy).

i'd say get him looked at by a vet - and don't worry, syphillis is treatable:)

no:D IF a vet diagnoses syphillis it can be treated by antibiotic injections - you'll find plenty of info and threads on vent disease on the forum. its (more than likely) what eric was suffering with when he came to live with me (passed on at birth i believe from an infected mummy).

i'd say get him looked at by a vet - and don't worry, syphillis is treatable:)

thank goodness, he's only 10 weeks old and they wanted to send him back to the breeder as they thought he was unfit for sale! :shock: It's a wierd kind of lump, hope he's going to be ok. I'll try and take him tomorrow

thank goodness, he's only 10 weeks old and they wanted to send him back to the breeder as they thought he was unfit for sale! :shock: It's a wierd kind of lump, hope he's going to be ok. I'll try and take him tomorrow

I think you might have missed the thread link that was posted, there are pictures of a bunny with a syphylis lump on his lip, have a look, click on this link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=127294

If it is Treponematoses (Rabbit Syphillis) then ALL the Rabbits that came into the shop with him and any he has had contact with are likely to be infected.

If the Vet confirms Treponematoses then you need to inform the Store Manager IMMEDIATELY aswell as the supplier (Breeder)

If it is Treponematoses (Rabbit Syphillis) then ALL the Rabbits that came into the shop with him and any he has had contact with are likely to be infected.

If the Vet confirms Treponematoses then you need to inform the Store Manager IMMEDIATELY aswell as the supplier (Breeder)

I was going to email a girl who works there tonight and call them tomorrow as I thought it was an emergancy

i did that jane.......very politely too considering how upset (and penniless) i was after the problems i had.

it fell on deaf ears:evil:

i still occasionally go in there now to have a good look at the buns and i have pointed out a couple that i thought looked a bit unwell to be told 'oh, thats just snuffles'. just snuffles....:evil:

omg, my original rabbit, Harry, had the snuffles and had to be put to sleep as it turned to pneumonia as we couldn't cure it

omg, my original rabbit, Harry, had the snuffles and had to be put to sleep as it turned to pneumonia as we couldn't cure it

sorry - that was off topic. snuffles and syph are really different and honestly, abx jabs got rid of eric's scabs - and the ones around his nose were pretty horrific!

good luck for later x

Just got back. He's on septrin. He's 1.35kgs I think that's a good weight. He doesn't think it's Syphilis as his bum is not scabby and is totally healthy. He clipped the lump, which proved it was just crust, and we could see only a tiny bit was on the skin, so he's pulled it off which has left a tiny open cut. So I'm bathing it twice a day with salt water, and Septrin twice a day. I got the vet to give him his first dose as I didn't know how to administer it to a rabbit, he didn't want to take it, but as soon as he got it in his mouth he loved it! It smells of banana, even I liked the smell! We usually use baytril on my piggies, but have heard of Septrin and think it's the right course of action. We're going back to see "Uncle Mark" next wednesday.

Thank you everyone for your help! It really did make a difference as I didn't know what to think yesterday!

Back