• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i know i let my buns

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
in their run today, but i didn't put them out until i was home, so that i could keep checking through the bedroom window, i would no way leave them in the run if i went out, id be too worried someone would try and steal locksley :shock:, or something would get them

does anyone else feel the same with their buns

Yep, I am exactly the same.

I never leave my pets out unsecured in the garden,

especially not my tortoises, but I am paranoid about the bunnies too, and always put the run where I can sit and watch them :oops:

I used to leave mine out in their secure run while I was at work, people can't get into my garden really though so its secure in that way

A neighbor who can get into my garden has frightened me now so, none of my animals go outside at all anymore

When I had outdoor buns I left them in the runs all day while I was out at work - the runs had lids and padlocks and were in my back garden well out of sight, but someone could have stolen them if they'd wanted.

It was either that or they got no run time at all, though, cos i work full time - so i decided it was the lesser of two evils. ;)

Well, i'm at school all day, but my mum is in and out so can check on the buns. They stay outside all day in a secure run. The garden is secure and no-one can get in easily. The dog is also outside when she can be - ie when my mum is home- so that deters people/ other animals etc. It'd be either that, or no time at all. We're building in the house atm, so it's not safe for them to come in to run about when i'm back from school either.

its not to bad for my buns, as they are house rabbits anyway soo freerange in the house, just outdoors in the run when it is nice like today was, but i waited until i got home to put them in the run, when i want to stay outside i let them have a run around the garden without the run

To be honest, if your run has a lid and padlocks, then it's the same as leaving them in a padlocked hutch, as long as the run is on concrete.

Mine can go in their run almost all day, but my Mum is normally home and they can go through the cat flap into the locked shed if they're spooked by anything

I'm paranoid too, but I've learnt to get over myself.
There is no way they can get out, so if I pop to town for something, although I get worried, there is no chance they're going anywhere!
I don't let them out at college though, that's destroy my nerves too much!

I would never, ever put my rabbits out in a run and then go out. This means my rabbits get their exercise around my schedule. I'd never meet any rescue requirement that demands their rescue bunnies have 24 hour access to a run. I wouldn't sleep at night if they did, because I know there are foxes around here and don't believe for a moment a run can be entirely fox proof. Plus, my runs go out on the grass and my neighbour's dog ran in once to try and tip the run - the lid is secure on top, but he is a big dog. I'd rather put them out for five hours or so than give them an entire day in a run that I don't feel to be safe from other people or predators.

I never, ever put my bunnies out in the run unsupervised, ever! It just isnt worth taking a chance. A run is nowhere as secure as a hutch cos someone only has to lift it up to let bunnies run. I let them run around the garden when i am there and go in the run when i can watch them from the house.

Back