• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Size of Oxbrow Bunny Basics/T

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Just brought some of these for Jims and am a bit concerned about the size of the pellets.
A while ago we were feeding him the Naturals Carroty Pellets and were warned about the size of them being a chocking hazard well... these Oxbrow pellets are around the same size and shape! Plus the fact he doesnt even like them, we are worrying whether it is even worth the risk?

Oxbow pellets are quite small. You probably won't have any problems but if you're going to be worried feeding them, then personally, I wouldn't! Stick to what you know suits them.

Oh, this is exactly what I was worried about too!!:oops: Glad I'm not the only one - I just couldn't get it out of my mind that somebody else said the same thing!

I really don't think they will be a problem choking-wise. Jack certainly has no problems with them and I've not read of any 'incidents' with these pellets at all. :?

ETA: They are a lot bigger relatively 'speaking' than the Carroty pellets which I have seen in shops as they are a fair bit chunkier in size and shape. I wouldn't worry about it! It's just that they are so different to the Excel pellets that they must seem small. But having seen the Carrotys ones I personally think they are a fair bit thinner and smaller altogether than the Oxbow pellets.

Taste-wise perhaps you need to be 'cruel to be kind' - perhaps Excel tastes better because it has more 'junk-food' type ingredients in. Am sure he'll adapt to them. Jack was on SS before he had these but adapted very quickly. Same with my Guinea Pigs - they were on Excel pellets and I gradually changed them on to Oxbow and they didn't like them at first but now come bombing down the cage when they hear the pellets hit their bowl lol and eat them happily and speedily. ;)

Bear in mind (and I really do believe this!) health-wise Oxbow are *far* better than Excel - if there's a chance it may help his health isn't it worth persisting with them? :p

Last edited:
We would do anything if it helped him health wise but *touch wood* we have just got him on to a good diet where he is maintaining his weight and eating lots of hay, our vet knows very well about his tummy and knows we are feeding Excel and said his diet is great for him.
So on that side of it, the worrying about him choking-I would not feel comfortable leaving him to eat them on his own and was watching like a hawk today and yet I dont know what I would do if he did start choking!:shock: and the fact that he isnt even interested in them is making us think- 'if its not broke, dont fix it' so to speak?

When we were finally able to get Oxbow Bunny Basics/T in this country we changed our buns over a period of 7 weeks. Oxbow recommends 4 weeks but we took longer because ours initially totally refused them. They would throw all their pellets on the floor and pick out their old type, ignoring the Oxbows. Eventually they grudgingly accepted and not long after would get up on their back legs dancing around when they knew their Oxbows were coming. Our 4 year old doe will now all but mug you to get them. When trying to get her back in after being free-range of a night all we need do is shake the pellet dish and get out of the way.

We now have two new young buns on the Bunny Basics 15/23 weaning them off the junk food they were originally fed. The male is very good but his sister is a little slower to adapt, I'm sure she will also get there as it is worth it for the quality of the pellet. We have never had any choking problems due to the smallness of the actual pellet even with one of our older bridge buns who had awful dental problems.

I should point out that we do not have the range of pellets available in the UK so the choice is quite limited. So much so that if I could not obtain Oxbow I would seriously consider a pellet free diet.

Under the vets advise we have decided to keep him on Excel pellets. The vet has said that given Jims very delicate tummy and the fact he has been on the Excel and doing well on it for so long it would be unwise to change him over and that they always recommend the Excel to bunny owners.

Under the vets advise we have decided to keep him on Excel pellets. The vet has said that given Jims very delicate tummy and the fact he has been on the Excel and doing well on it for so long it would be unwise to change him over and that they always recommend the Excel to bunny owners.

Whilst several people on here say it causes tummy problems. Quite frankly; I know my vet wouldn't be aware of the fairly wide range of rabbit pellets that are available and most vets sell the Excel range so they would recommend it....

If it suits him then fair enough. It's just that you mentioned him having issues tummy-wise so I thought you would be better swapping him off it and trying something else. :p

We are just trying to switch our buns over to Oxbrow from Excel, i currently give them 126g per day and the equivalent Oxbrow is 150g (we think) which looks a lot in comparision. It's difficult to figure out the exact measurements from the cup measurements quoted what does everybody else think?

The other thing is how much to use to mix the two food types and still ensuring they get enough. :oops:

Any advice welcome.

Thank you.

Back