• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What can we do most to help rescues?

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
I know it's a constant battle of money, space and time, so fundraisers are an obvious starting place.

When acquiring bunnies to always get them from rescue to free up spaces being another obvious help.

Taking part in bunny runs, if possible (for those of us not travel phobic :oops:)

Spreading the word about bunnies in rescue also...

Are there any less obvious things that we can do to help?

I've now got the fostering bug but I don't know if I'm in a useful area for anyone, I've got loads of space but not masses of time but I could take a few bunnies from time to time, would it be of use to have a hutch or two at the ready? I think the vets in this part of the world are quite a bit dearer than the Midlands for example so it might not make good economical sense to send a bunny here to be fostered.

I just NEED to help somehow and thought it would be a good idea to throw a few ideas around.

Just a few ideas for consideration.

Educating in schools (and possibly pre-school groups) and young mothers' groups regarding the long-term commitment of rabbit ownership plus the need for adults to be equally committed. The strong "don't get a bunny" message. This might possibly cut down the supply end of the problem. I don't know how many buns go into rescues because of the "children lost interest" argument - quite a few I suspect. I suspect that the adults would go for the "can no longer give them the time they deserve" excuse. This could be combined with the message that for those few that are rabbit-educated (via their own research) and prepared to make the commitment - get the rabbits from a rescue.

Perhaps the rescue members of RU would like to consider whether a scheme to replace the pet shops' supply of rabbits would be viable. The pet shops might agree to stop stocking rabbits if the rescues could provide an alternative. For example, rescue rabbits in the pet shop on certain days. These would be under the constant supervision of the rescue's volunteers. They could educate people who were considering rabbits and go through all of the homecheck procedures before any rabbits were provided. Of course, this would not entirely supplant the irresponsible pet shops that cater for the "want a rabbit - NOW" market.

Seek sponsorship of the rescue by the rabbit food and products suppliers. The rescues get the sponsorship money or supplies and the suppliers get good publicity.

Seek deals with local rabbit-credible vets. The rescue recommends good local rabbit vets to their adopters. Perhaps the vets could offer discounts for the rescue's treatments or a "finder's fee" for recommending customers.

Seek sponsorship from supermarkets and businesses. A lot have schemes for funding local charities and good causes.

Offer work experience placements for local schools. Those students that are suitable and interested would get good experience and the rescues would get their talents plus an advocate for rescues.

Just some ideas.

I think fostering is a great idea. I have even been considering it as a lot of rescues are full at the moment and it would free up space.

Going to a rescue and helping out is another way of helping.

It sounds like there is good ideas there. I'd contact your local rescue center to ask what help was needed and offer your support.

Fostering is a good idea as it frees up space for more bunnies to get rescued. Also if you have any free time, let them know - I'm sure they would be grateful of help.

i am looking for someone to do me some posters ...im sure other rescues would welcome help like this . :)

making info packs?

organising raffles/coffee mornings etc?

Double post....I know we always think about what the rescue needs for the bunnies, but what about some nice bath stuff or chocolates for the rescue owners?

A lot of them see horrible situations day in day out so I'm sure a little something to pamper themselves would be much appreciated

Back