• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do we have to feed pellets??

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Well, Ive been investigating pellets recently and dont feel overwhelmingly happy to be honest......

Can we not feed our rabbits an all-natural diet without pellets?

What do they get from pellets that they cant get from somewhere else??

Whats the ADVANTAGE of feeding pellets??

If I did feed an all-natural diet.... variety in hays would be ideal, but what else would be essentual ? (obviously veg, any particular ones?)

What does everyone think?

My boys haven't had pellets for about 3/4 years now. Ginger is very thin, but that's almost certainly cuz he can't absorb food properly after having coccidiosis. They're still both full of beans on just hay and veg.

It is time consuming feeding veg (for me anyway - I wash, dry and peel most things), and a lot more expensive, but as they're ill with any type of pellets it's definately worth it.

I'm not sure it's really very viable to feed no pellets/mix if they don't have access to grass. I know in theory rabbits can survive on just hay, but I'd be worried about them not getting the right vitamins (vitamins are added to pellets)

I'm not sure it's really very viable to feed no pellets/mix if they don't have access to grass. I know in theory rabbits can survive on just hay, but I'd be worried about them not getting the right vitamins (vitamins are added to pellets)

My buns don't get any grass between October and April (except the very occasional half hour maybe) and in summer it's only a tiny patch. They seem fine vitamins wise - at least they still manage to shoot up and down the corridor binkying madly anyway!! :lol:

There is potentially an issue with vitamin D for indoor bunnies. It's probably not an issue for outdoor buns that get a lot of sunlight on their bodies though.

There is potentially an issue with vitamin D for indoor bunnies. It's probably not an issue for outdoor buns that get a lot of sunlight on their bodies though.

We get patches of sunlight on the floor that they like to stretch out in.... is that the same or different.... obviously thats through a window.....

Back