• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Marble removal :)

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Sebastian has developed enough to have the snip :)

I need some advice, any really good links?
or tips that helped you?
I havent booked him in yet need to wait for my mumma to come home

I completely forgot to ask the vet for advice so i asked the recepitonist if they had any info i got told "starve him from 8pm the night before"
"even though they cant be sick?!"
"yeah *mumbles*"
I dont know why i even asked her :roll:

help please :)

also sebastian is an indoor bun

You need to tell your vet that the receptionist said that! That's really, really bad advice! You must NEVER starve your bun!!! :shock: It's actually especially important that he eats right until he has the op, as the stress and the drugs may put him off eating for a while afterwards.

There's not much you have to do differently for him. I'd keep him caged for 24 hours after he's been 'done', just to give the stitches a chance to take - he probably won't feel much like hopping anyway. What do you bed him on? He might prefer vet bed or a blanket to hay or woodshavings, as obviously he'll be sore. Make sure you provide water in a bowl, as well as a bottle, as that's easier for a sleepy bun to drink from. Also, get some of his favourite fresh foods in to encourage him to eat.

Apart from that I can't think of anything. Just be there with him as much as you can for reassurance, and keep his area quite dark and quiet - he'll forget all about it in a week. :)

Last edited:
i bed him on shavings and hay (not that he sleeps on them he makes a hole and sleeps on the plastic :roll::roll: )

I might mention it to the vet as its awfull advice for someone who isnt clued up or doesnt have RU :p

Is it alright to use a cushion or dog bed cushion? Sebastian LOVES to eat towels :roll: and blankets he'll just dig at and ruck up :/

how long does he need to be off of sawdust and hay? all his hay has to go in the rack i guess?
is shredded paper still okay for his litter tray?
Do i take his shelf out? or leave it in?

Wow, I cannot believe they said that, I think its only animals like cats and dog that are meant to be starved, if you starve a bunny, they will be in big trouble, especially as after the op they can be off food for a while.....

Pack your bun a big and VARIED packed lunch to take to the vets with you, have some hay, treats, pellets and even fresh veg/herbs and grass if possible. When my bun had his removed, he was really into his hay and things he wasnt usually much into so pack plenty of everything ;) (I personally believe their taste buds change after an op, making them like different things for a short while, so pack things they may not even like, lol)

Good luck!!!

Ps, I gave Rimmi extra food before he went for his op :thumb:

Sebby will be going with his bunny toy and a pack up :) some brussels and broccoli and timothy hay and some pellets annnnd ummm ohh a bit of apple :p

I also asked if they'd give me some metacam (was that the right thing?) i just got a blank look :roll: what else can i send with him hmmmm!

Don't worry, the painkiller will be given as part of the procedure, and will cover him for 24 hours.

Yep, hay is best in a rack after a neuter, as it'd be a bit prickly against the wound. I should imagine an (unused!) dog cushion would be fine - even if he generally chews things he'll naturally be quieter than usual. Just keep an eye on him. :) How soon he goes back on the woodshavings depends how quickly he heals, and whether he's a good boy and doesn't chew the cushion! :lol:

Sebby will be going with his bunny toy and a pack up :) some brussels and broccoli and timothy hay and some pellets annnnd ummm ohh a bit of apple :p

I also asked if they'd give me some metacam (was that the right thing?) i just got a blank look :roll: what else can i send with him hmmmm!

Basil and Corriander are highly loved by my two!!!!!

If possible, ask for a sachet of critical care and a syringe in case he doesnt eat over night and you need to 'help' him. :)

How about some carrot? My Rimmi also loves Carrotys and Fenugreek Crunches (Naturals treats)

i might go buy my dog a new bed and just not give it to her yet ;)

He wont eat carrot :( silly bunbun
so i shouldnt ask for any pain releif?

Back