• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Feeding with tummy problems?

hellsdarkrose

Warren Veteran
I usually feed the buns veggies at about 5pm with her current tummy problems should I just be restricting Waffle to Pellets (which she is now eating), hay and her syringed recovery food? or can she eat veggies if she wants to?

She is now pooping ok although the poops are very very small but seem to be more frequent and she is now eating her hay freely. She had a gut motility injection this morning and a painkiller injection :wave:

Thanks

If shes having tummy probs I'd reduce her pellet intake to encourage her to eat more hay. A few veggies are ok in moderation, just avoid gassy things like broccolli or starchy things like carrots. herbs are probably the best thing at this time, washed and still wet.
Hope ur bun is getting better :wave:
xxxx

Thanks for the advice I will give her a couple of herbs but not too much. I was only giving her the extra pellets as it was the only thing I could get her to eat of her own accord over night as the syringe feeding was stressing her out. She is now eating hay and seems to be much brighter and happier :D

If it were Snowdrop then I would offer her anything she wanted to get if she had just had stasis. I know certain foods make tummys worse etc but if she hasnt been eating then I dont mind what she gets as long as something is inside her.

If it were Snowdrop then I would offer her anything she wanted to get if she had just had stasis. I know certain foods make tummys worse etc but if she hasnt been eating then I dont mind what she gets as long as something is inside her.

That was the approach I was taking with the pellets as I just wanted her to eat so her guts could get moving again. I will give her some parsley,sage and mint as she likes those and I don't think they should upset her.

This is actually what I was told by my vet. Veggies is better than nothing.

i do this with Alvin too.. although now his guts are moving again i have cut down on everything except hay

Oh yes, if my bun was refusing anything else I'd let him have whatever he wanted, the most important thing is of course to make sure he's eating SOMETHING. But my vet says if it's possible the best things to get his gut moving and in good health again are loads of hay and leafy, stalky herbs (which luckily mine adore ;) ) washed down with plenty of fresh water.
Glad to hear Waffles feeling better :D
xxx

Back