• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly Update

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi

Just wanted to give an update on Molly's hocks and how Milly and Molly are both doing. Molly hasn't been to the vet or had any treatment on her hocks for 6 months now, and they are looking great. :D They are no longer red or dark pink, and her fur has started to cover and grow over it. I'm so happy with her. I seriously thought she wasn't going to live to see Christmas 09, how wrong I was. I think going to the vet and giving her antibiotics and drugs was stressing her out. She had poor coat condition, lost weight and was thin, and her hocks were cracking and bleeding. In the end, we thought, let's leave her alone, and see how she goes. It was the best thing we could have done. Since then, she's gained weight (she now weighs 2kg, which is the weight she should be), her coat is in fantastic condition, and she's so happy and really enjoying life. Both Milly and Molly went to the vets today for their myxi vaccs and the vet was very happy with her condition, and said they both looked fantastic. :D I'm very happy and proud. So really, what I'm saying to rabbit owners is that sometimes you do need a vet and you do need treatment, but if it isn't working, sometimes just leaving them alone for a week or so to see if it makes a difference can be the best thing you can do. Obviously, seek vet advice for any conditions first. :)

I'm glad Molly's poorly hocks are better :)
I must stress it's important for anyone with a poorly rabbit to continue to seek veterinary advice though xx

I'm glad Molly's poorly hocks are better :)
I must stress it's important for anyone with a poorly rabbit to continue to seek veterinary advice though xx

yes i agree, but at one stage it was either pts or leave her alone for a week or two. it was sort of last resort before pts to see if she would get better on her own. thankfully she did. i only wouldn't use treatments as a last resort to see if they fight it on their own.

Glad her hocks have got better!! Bet she loves the comfort of it!:love::love::love: Do you have any precautions, to stop it happening again?

Glad her hocks have got better!! Bet she loves the comfort of it!:love::love::love: Do you have any precautions, to stop it happening again?

thanks. i'm just continuing to do what i'm doing now and i'm not going to change my cleaning routine or amount of hay they are on or anything, as obviously something i'm doing is right. i'd hate for it to flare up again, but i suspect it will do from time to time.

if she does get any cracks or starts bleeding, I'll obviously take her to the vet but I'd try not to fuss over and interfere too much with its healing as this obviously stresses her out and causes more problems than it's worth.

Back