• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what would you have done??

Daisylop

Mama Doe
coming home on Sunday afternoon I made o/h swerve to avoid a wildie sitting in the middle of the road,obviously in the final stages with myxi.I made him drive on and since then I've felt guilty [really guilty] as I did nothing to try to help it.I was afraid if I moved it fleas could have got on me and I'd have taken them home to my 4.I tried to convince myself that if I moved him I'd prolong his agony whereas if he was run over at least he'd be no longer suffering.Cant get this little fella [or girl] out of my mind :(,what would anyone else have done????

its instinctive to swerve to avoid an animal,
and depending on road/traffic conditions is not always possible to stop and go back. Even then the animal may have gone off into the bushes and impossible to find.
You may not have found the rabbbit as easy to catch as you imagine and then would be difficult to find a vet on a sunday aftternoon for pts. Naturally you don't want yours to catch myxi(which they can in spite of jabs(mine did but survived).

You must not beat yourself up now over an instant decision. You did what you thought was best at the time .I don't think anyone knows what instant decision they will make till faced with the same situation. I may well have done the same. -suex

ps I once swerved to avoid a big hare sitting in the middle of the road. (It was not showing signs of myxi.) It then galloped off up the road in front of my car and disappeared into the woods. You were right to avoid it in my opinion.

Any wildie showing signs of myxi from a distance would be in the final stages and would probably have died before you got them to a vet anyway.

Last edited:
Are you sure it had Myxi? It is a bit early in the year? Sometimes they do just sit in the road and don't move due to panic. You'd have felt awful if you had hit it and it was ok. So try not to feel bad, sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. My instinct would always have been to avoid too as unless you actually stopped to look, which at speed is tricky to do, you have no way of knowing if bun is healthy or not, and not every car that hits a bun kills it instantly either.

I know how you feel. :(

A few mths ago I had a near miss with a wildie with myxi in the middle of the road. As I approached the rabbit, it was too late to swerve and then, once I got close enough to see it had myxi, I half wished I had managed to run it over just to end its suffering.:(

I had no option of going back either - it was a busy road and I was alone in the car, with nowhere to put the bun even if I could have caught it.

I've been in this situation before too. Fortunately for me, I was somewhere I could stop so I managed to use an old coat to throw over the bunny whilst I scooped it up and popped it in the rear footwell of the car. I took it straight to a nearby vet and asked them to humanely euthanise it (I paid for it). I then bought some strong flea spray from the same vet and liberally sprayed both myself and the inside of my car. I stripped off in the garage (at home, not the local BP :lol:) and put everything on a hot wash. Then had a shower.

My buns were OK but I was concerned. Actually, I've taken several myxi wildies to my local vets as I used to work in a rural location and often found them in the carpark. Always done the same thing - lots of flea spray on me and car then strip off etc.

But you MUSTN'T feel bad for what happened in your situation. I've often driven past wild animals that are clearly injured but I've not been in a position where I could do anything. The very fact that you're thinking about it means that you care and you are a nice person. Don't beat yourself up over something you cannot control. Sending a big hug xx.

Myxi already?
I might bring my jabs forward a bit:?

I once hit a bun with my car - I took him to an overnight vets & he was pts as had myxi (I could see lethargy & eye discharge, but it was pre me being into buns)

no one can decide unles sfaced with the decision, it may not ahve had myxi and it may have later run off... dont beat yourself up about it. its done and you made a perfectly reasonable split second choice.

i have no idea what i would of done really. we all like to beleive we would rescue and take to a vets to be ended but i think i really have no idea. im very head in the sand at most things so i have a feeling in reality i would not get the bloke to go back :oops::oops:

Back