• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
Rushed Cookie to vets early hours this morning as I could tell he had a poorly tum, second time in a month, poss onset of stasis. Don't know whether his poorly tum is being caused by fur as he does groom rather a lot and also grooms Bella too, both are short haired - or whether I was heavy handed with the treats yesterday.

Vet gave him a thorough checkup especially around his tummy and bowel area but couldn't feel any blockage then gave usual anti-inflammatory and the jab they give to move things.

have spent all night up with him. He was jabbed at 2.30am this morning and as of half hour ago still looked to be suffering until I opened their pens and they both shot out for a mooch cus they are both so nosy, he seemed to perk up all of a sudden as soon as I opened the pen. He has eaten a little hay and has had water from his bowl through the night, but not passed anything yet. Last jab he had couple of weeks ago, he did a large squitty one which was to be expected, but 6hrs after the jab he hasn't yet passed anything. What actually is the expected time in the jab working, anyone know please? If he hasn't passed anything by 9am should I take him back to vets. He has perked up quite a bit, but I won't be happy until I see POO.

Vet has also given me 5 sachets of Bio-Lapis to be added to their water. Is this something I should be using every day anyway or only when either of them have had a tummy upset?

Vet also recommended a few drops of unsweetened pineapple juice from a tin in their water which apparently has an enzyme in it which helps digestion.

Cookie is just over 5 now and I am also wondering if he needs special things in his diet or should I just carry on?

Sorry for the all-over-the-place posting, just so very tired after having no sleep

oh yeah £110 emergency call-out fee before I even put the phone down....but......anything for my pets I don't care

Sorry your bunny isn't well! :(:(

I can't help with the jab (hopefully someone knows about it) but I'd put the biolapis in all the time. It's a probiotic, so will help the bacteria in the gut to keep it moving.

Good luck to the little man!

ETA: I'd take him back at 9 (or at least call up and talk to the vet)

thanks Teddy think I will phone first, he has perked up quite a bit now in the last half hour although I WANT POO!!!!!!!!!!:D

thanks Teddy think I will phone first, he has perked up quite a bit now in the last half hour although I WANT POO!!!!!!!!!!:D

Yes...it's funny...being a bunny owner! You find yourself obsessed with poo! :lol::lol:

Poo vibes your way!

biolapis is a probiotic i only use it when my buns are on antibiotics, was the antiinflammatry metcam as this is also a pain relief if it wasnt then your rabbit needs pain relief im not sure that pinapple juice form a tin will work as i know the juice must be fresh for the enzyme to be working however you can buy paypaya tablets which can help. also older buns move around less and this can cause the gut to shut down more often if your bun suffers from athritus then pain relief glucosamine and cartrophen can help. i would try and stick to a standered diet and not introduce new things if bun is prone to stasis maybe putting the buns(if both older) onto sceince slecet mature or excel mature but any changes do them once he is better and do them slowly for now tempt him with other foods, has he been stressed? has bun had drastic changes to circumstance or foods? could it be dental issues stopping bun eating thus causing him to go into stasis i think you need to find the root cause of the stasis coming on. thinking of bunny and you xxx

I think it really depends on the bun as to when the jab should kick in, Jims has had statis several times and each time it has been a different length of time, I think the longest he went without pooping was 4 days and he was having 2 jabs a day. Where as on another occasion it worked about 2 hours after.
Just keep him hydrated- you can either syringe cooled boiled peppermint tea or pop it in a bowl and see if he will drink it.
Keep tempting him with all the foods he likes.

As at 2.45pm he is perky as anything and munching well on his hay. He has been out for an hour or so early this morning, seemed happier to be moving around rather than stationery in his pen. He has done a couple of little poos but nothing on the scale he usually does, suppose some of that could be down to the fact that he didn't eat for 7-8hrs.

As regards why he appears to have got a bad tummy, I can't work it out myself, nothing in his routine has changed. All I can think of is that I gave him too many broccoli leaves yesterday morning, unfortunately they wern't that fresh and a little limp but it doesn't seem to have bothered him before. Must admit it's difficult giving my two babbs equal treats as one will leave something and the other one will go scoff it so it's not always easy to see who has had what.

I am booked in for last appt at 6.20pm this afternoon but wonder whether I need to go as he seems back to his usual self, although I would like to see more poo, I keep asking him but he just looks at me funny :lol:

Have put the bio-lapis in their water bowl, but at the moment they are both turning their noses up at it:censored:

biolapis is a probiotic i only use it when my buns are on antibiotics, was the antiinflammatry metcam as this is also a pain relief if it wasnt then your rabbit needs pain relief im not sure that pinapple juice form a tin will work as i know the juice must be fresh for the enzyme to be working however you can buy paypaya tablets which can help. also older buns move around less and this can cause the gut to shut down more often if your bun suffers from athritus then pain relief glucosamine and cartrophen can help. i would try and stick to a standered diet and not introduce new things if bun is prone to stasis maybe putting the buns(if both older) onto sceince slecet mature or excel mature but any changes do them once he is better and do them slowly for now tempt him with other foods, has he been stressed? has bun had drastic changes to circumstance or foods? could it be dental issues stopping bun eating thus causing him to go into stasis i think you need to find the root cause of the stasis coming on. thinking of bunny and you xxx

No, his teeth are perfect and always have been

this is only the 3rd time he has had tummy probs in his 5 years, I am an over-attentive mum and always looking out for signs of anything wrong:roll: I know his every move/mannerisms down to a tee.

Should I start trying the pineapple juice in a few days time?

As for older buns not moving around much..... OMG he is a lunatic, flies around the room in a blink of an eye, he is so fast. Only time he is stationery is when he is napping or when I am kissing him:love:

spoke with my vet first thing this morning and asked her whether there was a timescale when the jab would kick in and his bowels start moving again. She said it can take a few hours but didn't give anything precise.

3 weeks ago when he had the same prob, after his jab came squitty poo, but this time 4-5 small solids

he had a vial of metoclopramide and yes 0.08 mls Metacam

Back