• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

conscious dentals in lincolnshire

biscuitblossom

Warren Veteran
Just on the off chance does anyone know of any vets (preferably not too far from spalding) who do conscious dentals in lincolnshire??

I really don't think any vet would burr molars concious - it would be extremely stressful for the bun, and dangerous too. What puts you off GA, the risk?

I really don't think any vet would burr molars concious - it would be extremely stressful for the bun, and dangerous too. What puts you off GA, the risk?

I know some vets do it,I know of people on here who have them done, I'm trying to reduce costs if I honest as it seems another one of my bunnies is going to be a dental bun.

I know some vets do it,I know of people on here who have them done, I'm trying to reduce costs if I honest as it seems another one of my bunnies is going to be a dental bun.

Conscious Dentals can actually exacerbate Dental Disease :cry: It really is impossible to treat molars correctly in a conscious Rabbit. All that can be done is for the obvious sharp spurs to be burred off. But that does nothing re the longterm progression of Dental problems. Often the crowns need shortening and reshaping. Skull radiographs also need to be taken to assess tooth roots.

It is an entirely personal decision of course. But as I have said before, I cannot forsee a situation whereby I would allow a Rabbit in my care to have a Dental without sedation/GA.

ETA I know honeybunny's Vet does conscious Dentals. Maybe her Vet might know of a Vet near you who would also agree to carry out the proceedure :)

Last edited:
I have spoken to a couple of vet surgeries in Lincoln and was told under their professional conduct they always do dentals for bunnies under a GA due to the stress it causes.My bun who's 9 yrs old has regular dentals under GA every 2-3 months and he's ok after. Hope you find one in your area.

This is a subject that people have strong feelings about so often disagree

We know of three different vets practices where they have vets who are willing..and more importantly..ABLE, to do dentals without a GA
You must make sure your vet is skilled in this and has the confidence and experience to do it
They do sometimes give the rabbits a very small amount of sedation
There is some risk with this procedure..but no more than a dental with a ga..just search for the amount of bunnies that have been lost after or during a ga dental:cry:
I'm not saying ga dentals are bad..as they are needed and most times successful...but conscious can be the right choice .

We do not put to sleep rabbits who come in with teeth probs as some rescues sadly have to due to the cost of treatment
As we have two vets who can do them without a ga..the risk to the bun is slight..and the cost is small..between £10-£17

We have never had a problem with all the dozens of rabbits we have had treated this way..some of them time after time. They are usually eating in the carrier on the way home and there is no need for intensive aftercare.
The only rabbit we lost due to a dental was one that had a ga:cry:

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads where people ask for vibes as their rabbits is going for a ga dental..we never need to ask for vibes for ours , and sadly there are quite a few people who have lost their rabbits due to a ga dental..or the after effects

I must point out that sometimes a GA is necessary..if the rabbit is particularly difficult..(this is not often as our vets are great)..or if upon examination the vet feels further investigation is needed
The argument that the rabbit is so stressed it is dangerous is invalid..as the bun is only with the vet for a short time and vets will always examine teeth initially while the bun is with you in the surgery..that is just as invasive and can be stressful to the bun.
Our rabbits have never shown any signs of stress after this procedure and it has enabled bunnies like out permanent Hettie to have an extra ( so far ) 3 years of life
Most people will agree guinea pigs should have conscious dentals as the risk of GA to pigs is high..yet will argue against for rabbits:?

Are you too far to travel to Gamston in East Notts?

Last edited:
If it is purely to reduce costs it might not always work out. The only vet near to us that does conscious dentals is so expensive it is only a few punds cheaper than have a GA dental done at our own vet.

The only time I would ever consider a conscious dental is if it really was the only option for a bunny due to an extreme GA risk

This is a subject that people have strong feelings about so often disagree

We know of three different vets practices where they have vets who are willing..and more importantly..ABLE, to do dentals without a GA
You must make sure your vet is skilled in this and has the confidence and experience to do it
They do sometimes give the rabbits a very small amount of sedation

We do not put to sleep rabbits who come in with teeth probs as some rescues sadly have to due to the cost of treatment
As we have two vets who can do them without a ga..the risk to the bun is slight..and the cost is small..between £10-£17

We have never had a problem with all the dozens of rabbits we have had treated this way..some of them time after time. They are usually eating in the carrier on the way home and there is no need for intensive aftercare.
The only rabbit we lost due to a dental was one that had a ga:cry:

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads where people ask for vibes as their rabbits is going for a ga dental..we never need to ask for vibes for ours , and sadly there are quite a few people who have lost their rabbits due to a ga dental..or the after effects

I must point out that sometimes a GA is necessary..if the rabbit is particularly difficult..(this is not often as our vets are great)..or if upon examination the vet feels further investigation is needed
The argument that the rabbit is so stressed it is dangerous is invalid..as the bun is only with the vet for a short time and vets will always examine teeth initially while the bun is with you in the surgery..that is just as invasive and can be stressful to the bun.
Our rabbits have never shown any signs of stress after this procedure and it has enabled bunnies like out permanent Hettie to have an extra ( so far ) 3 years of life
Most people will agree guinea pigs should have conscious dentals as the risk of GA to pigs is high..yet will argue against for rabbits:?

Are you too far to travel to Gamston in East Notts?

Unfortunately I don't drive so the cost travelling to nottingham would probably balance up the money saved for the dental:?

Of course I would never put any of my bunnies under unnecessary stress in order to save money,it really wouldn't be an issue if I thought that was going to be the case.

At the moment I'm paying around the £100 mark per dental under ga ,Jasmine has had 2 at 3 monthly intervals and incisors burred regularly inbetween that ,it now seems that Diesel has problems too and he's going to the vets at 12.30 today .

If it is purely to reduce costs it might not always work out. The only vet near to us that does conscious dentals is so expensive it is only a few punds cheaper than have a GA dental done at our own vet.

The only time I would ever consider a conscious dental is if it really was the only option for a bunny due to an extreme GA risk

How much do you pay for a dental under GA liz?

well if you took two at the same time
instead of paying £220 at your vets you would pay about £30 max..doubt the fuel would be £190:?

As said there is a risk..same as there are risks with a ga...but we have never had a problem

My friend Ange took her bunny there for her teeth for about 4 years..no probs..and she still takes Dooley,Spencer and Autumn..although with the regular checks/burring and good diet two of them have not needed any treatment for a while:D
..Gamston have so many people who use them for dental bunnies..if you do use them you must ask for either Annie or Rachael and say its for a tooth exam..the other vet there does not do conscious dentals ....yet

well if you took two at the same time
instead of paying £220 at your vets you would pay about £30 max..doubt the fuel would be £190:?

As said there is a risk..same as there are risks with a ga...but we have never had a problem

My friend Ange took her bunny there for her teeth for about 4 years..no probs..and she still takes Dooley,Spencer and Autumn..although with the regular checks/burring and good diet two of them have not needed any treatment for a while:D
..Gamston have so many people who use them for dental bunnies..if you do use them you must ask for either Annie or Rachael and say its for a tooth exam..the other vet there does not do conscious dentals ....yet

I was thinking more of the fact that I'd need to travel by train,I doubt my mum would contemplate driving to nottingham for me ....but you're right it wouldnt cost that amount I doubt but might mean more stress travelling for the bunnies ?

I have spoken to a couple of vet surgeries in Lincoln and was told under their professional conduct they always do dentals for bunnies under a GA due to the stress it causes.My bun who's 9 yrs old has regular dentals under GA every 2-3 months and he's ok after. Hope you find one in your area.

I too have been told this and I believe there *might* be something about it in the Summer edition of the RWAF Magazine 'Rabbiting On'.

Back