• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flystrike Paranoia!!

beckie20

Mama Doe
Am I the only one who suffers from this?!

I'm starting to worry about it already, and I know its still far too cold for flies!

My previous bun Skip got flystrike, but I noticed fairly quickly and he was only left with a small wound, smaller than a 5p, but it has scarred me for life!

I'm not one for killing things, I'm terrified of spiders, but I hate it when people kill them to get rid of them and I feel horrible for accidently treading on a snail, but come summer time I shall be out there with a big ol' can of flyspray and one of those electric tennis racket things!

My buns are 90% litter trained (they just will not stop using that other corner!!:?), and once it starts getting warmer I'll swap so that I empty their litter tray in the morning so its fresher in the afternoon, and might give it a re-fresh when I get home at about 4. I'll be getting Rearguard for the pair of them, and they have a hutch snuggle which has a flyscreen on the front...

Is there anything else I can do to ease my paranoia without resorting to some kind of medication lol, any tips you experts have?

xxx

YES! I was paranoid about it today...

The flies are starting to hang around, and last summer I only had Ralph and was obsessively checking his bottom about five times a day. Now I've got three so I'm going to have to dedicate time to do it!

My darling first bun Parsley died of flystrike and I have never forgiven myself for not noticing sooner and my parents for not letting me take him to the vet.
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I use citronella oil in the Spring or at the first sign of flies.
I hang cotton wool soaked in oil and wrapped in muslin all around the shed.
Also spray the litter trays with the oil.
Certainly seems to keep the flies away:D

Am I wrong in thinking they're only attracted to dirty bunny-bums? I always have RearGuarded my boys, but I know some people worry about the chemicals? So I was thinking I wouldn't do it this year as the boys are always clean now I've stopped feeding pellets.

Lauramc888:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/summer.asp

Last edited:
I use citronella and lavender plants. Its not to early for flies they were buzzing about Sunday when I had the buns outside. I am an obsessive bum checker. That is what I really hate about summer.

Its not to early for flies they were buzzing about Sunday when I had the buns outside.

:shock: I've not noticed any... yet!

I use citronella oil in the Spring or at the first sign of flies.
I hang cotton wool soaked in oil and wrapped in muslin all around the shed.
Also spray the litter trays with the oil.
Certainly seems to keep the flies away:D

This is probably a really stupid question, but where do you get Citronella Oil from? Sounds familiar, but I can't think why... And how long do the citronella/muslin parcels last?! Do you change them every day or do they last longer?

The entire bunny area is going to look lovely this summer... Little parcels dangling everywhere and an army of lavender plants!!

xxx

Im one of the club!!:wave::wave:
I have 2 bunnies with spine problems....and I constantly check bottoms for muck..although Lily only had a dirty bum when she first arrived here.
Keeping cages spotless, bunnies have a good diet, bottom checks and citronella (idea courtesy of Becca) are my ideas for Warfare on those pesky nasty horrible wretched beasties!!

If your bun is at real risk from flystrike then the vet may recommend a treatment of rearguard. If not you can always use flyguard which you buy in shops and is supposed to stop it.

Back