• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about Sheds with attached Runs?

:wave: I'm trying to persuade my parents to let me convert our shed into Tinkerbell and Mishchief's permanent house! :D Their 7 x 5 x 2 foot run will be attached and the shed is about 7 x 5ft aswell. Would this be enough room for them because it's the biggest accommodation i will be able to get them? :( They are both English Spots. :) It will have to be converted in the Summer though, as it wont fit now. ;) We have 2 garages that will be knocked down (if my parents agree, they are already considering the garages being demolished :lol: ) and then at one end of the garden the shed and run will go there.

Well, if i can persuade them, i have a few questions. :)

How do we attach the run to the shed. The buns will get to and fro via a catflap but how will we attach the run? :roll:

Should the run be placed on grass, concrete or something else?

What flooring should the shed be?

What do i have to put on the shed walls to make it safe?

Do you have to put sawdust on the shed floor or just leave it as it is? (litter trays will be used!!)

If anyone could post pictures of their converted sheds or wendy houses it would be a big help, especially if you could show how the run is attached.

Thank You. :)

Last edited:
Hi, sorry, I'm worn out so haven't read your thread very thoroughly! :oops: I will say this though:

1. Lino is best for the floor

2. Have the run on grass - much nicer for buns

3. Um yeah, I'm braindead now - I think I'll come back to this one tomorrow!

Last edited:
Thats what I am doing now. Ive got a 6ftx4ft shed and me and my dad are building an avary style run around it.
I would say lino for the floor and grass under the run would be best :)

I will follow this post as I am interested to see other people thoughts:)

Good luck :)

You can have the run on grass or concrete.

If you put it on grass, you will need to mesh the bottom of the run so that the bunnies can't dig out and foxes can't dig in.

My run is on patio slabs - no worries about digging in or out and it also helps to wear the claws down.

There's no need to cover the whole shed floor with bedding. I have underbed storage boxes as litter trays, filled with newspaper, megazorb and a top layer of hay. In the very cold weather, I put straw on the whole shed floor, but Bubbles thought it was one huge toilet and it got messy very quickly.

from my experiance I wouldnt put the run on grass. Seeing as it would be attched to a shed, you couldnt rotate it and the grass will just turn to mud.

My playhouse/aviary is on paving slabs - it's great. The shed floor has lino down and then he has a "box" on its side that I fill with hay for him to sleep in inside the playhouse. The Aviary is surrounding the playhouse. Works very well for me.

125.jpg

This is the first winter for my Rabbit playhouse. As you can see from the photo - Catflap comes out onto small slabbed area with a corrugated roof. The run is screwed onto the shed. The next bit, the larger run goes on to grass. Right now I have a clear white taupalin right over the top and down the sides covering it from the rain so It doesnt get too wet and its worn fairly well. (£10 off e-bay) My rabbits have access 24/7 to this then day time I open the end bit that I call there 'playarea' and I scatter food down this area too which is paved.
054-1.jpg

Inside is lined with lino, I have carpet squares. I have a straw bedding area, shelfs and a vetbed area looking out of the window.
081.jpg

This wooden piece of furniture was my daughters bedside cot. Now it makes a good look out cosy area on top and they have it padded out with straw underneath.
067.jpg

Sorry so pic heavy :oops:

My run is on slabs as the girls do dig. I buy them a roll of turf every few weeks (£2.50 from b and q) for them to chew and dig

Mine is on grass - it's 20ft by 15ft and they have permanent access to it via a tunnel from their hutch in a stable. I dig it over every few weeks and fill in any tunnels they have dug (it is buried a few foot under ground). I am going to cover the 'poo area' - one half - with old paving slabs for the Summer but as it is on a slope, it doesn't retain water too much.
I might try putting turf down every so often too just to keep them interested and give them something to nibble - thanks for the tip!
Good luck, sounds like they will have a fantastic home.

Back